vmporsche

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Has anyone had a (sudden) issue with Level 2/home charging? tl;dr I'm using a Tesla Wall Connector Gen 3 with a TeslaTap mini adaptor. It has been working flawlessly for six months, and now I get a blue circle/stuck at handshake. I confirmed today that charging at EA works. The electrician/installer came out today and verified that everything looks good for the charger/wiring. Thanks.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Test the Vehicle at another L2 charger - could be a failure of the onboard AC/DC charger.

diagnosis requires another EV or another L2 charger…or another TeslaTap.

there is not enough information in your post to diagnose root cause.

OP
OP

vmporsche

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Test the Vehicle at another L2 charger - could be a failure of the onboard AC/DC charger.

diagnosis requires another EV or another L2 charger…or another TeslaTap.

there is not enough information in your post to diagnose root cause.
Yeah, that's fair. Just wondering if anyone had experienced the same/similar issue (suddenly stopped working after several months of working), to help point in the right direction. Unfortunately, I don't have another EV to test with at the moment and Teslatap is pretty convinced it's not their device. Thank you, though.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I would have guess that if the onboard AC charger had failed it would report on the car and there would be a red circle flashing on the charging port - I had this a while back when the AC charge port failed.

Good suggestion to try another L2 to rule it out.

Perhaps a firmware update was applied on the wall box which now has upset the car?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
is it possible that maybe the problem is the adaptor

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
In my over 60 years of owning cars (or anything else for that matter) I have never experienced a manufacturer voluntarily admitting their product was at fault. Unfortunately you are going to need to go thru the steps of ruling out (or in) the evse or the tap on your own unless you have a very friendly dealer that is willing to test the onboard AC unit to see if that is it. My dealer has a level 2 and maybe yours does also.

hopefully someone on this forum is nearby and can let you try out their unit.

Good luck.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Test the Vehicle at another L2 charger
Besides replacing each component (EVSE and Teslatap), testing your car at another L2 EVSE is the only way to know if the problem is in your car or in the EVSE equipment. Maybe a local restaurant, hotel or maybe your dealer might have a J1772 you can test with?

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
Why not just try the charger that came with the car? If you don't have a 240v outlet because the Tesla charger is hardwired, the 110v plug on the portable Porsche charger should at least allow you to confirm whether or not the port is functioning.

OP
OP

vmporsche

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Why not just try the charger that came with the car? If you don't have a 240v outlet because the Tesla charger is hardwired, the 110v plug on the portable Porsche charger should at least allow you to confirm whether or not the port is functioning.
This was a good idea- I never used that bag of goodies so I didn't think of it. Thanks! Tested and it works, so must be the adapter or the wall connector-- I'm thinking it's the adapter.

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
This was a good idea- I never used that bag of goodies so I didn't think of it. Thanks! Tested and it works, so must be the adapter or the wall connector-- I'm thinking it's the adapter.
At least you have a way to charge the car at home while you sort out the issue. Sounds like you may need to have a friend with a Tesla stop by to try the Tesla charger without the TeslaTap.

GRV

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X7 | Tesla Model 3 | Taycan 4s (MY21)
Country flag
Has anyone had a (sudden) issue with Level 2/home charging? tl;dr I'm using a Tesla Wall Connector Gen 3 with a TeslaTap mini adaptor. It has been working flawlessly for six months, and now I get a blue circle/stuck at handshake. I confirmed today that charging at EA works. The electrician/installer came out today and verified that everything looks good for the charger/wiring. Thanks.
Early on I was not able to a/c charge anywhere. 19.2kw charger needed to be replaced. Doesn't sound like your issue but I did jump the gun thinking it was the Tesla Tap Mini. Sent it in for testing and even spoke to the owner. He said the adapters are straight forward devices with not much that can fail. Of course my mini was just fine. Either way he was good to work with.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
have you tried cycling the power/breaker on the Tesla Wall charger?

OP
OP

vmporsche

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The Tesla Wall Connector is fine- I tested it with a Tesla today. It's the Teslatap adapter. So far I'm not too impressed with the customer service experience, but hopefully they will fix it or replace it.
Sponsored