LeftCoastElectric

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I had this happen once with a friend of mine - and believe me, he weighs more than your daughter. Bugged me that the screen didn't work for the whole ride with him.

Went the next day to the dealer to show him. Yep. Worked. No problem!

Haven't had an issue since.
Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
If you put the car into range mode, it turns off the passenger display.

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
something obvious to try - when you start driving and just shows the Taycan logo, just tap on the screen and see if it wakes up. I had this happen to me initially with my 16yr old and couldn't figure out how to turn it on when it just needed a tap on the screen :)

OP
OP

AlexG

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993, iPace, Taycan(s) on order
Not to get on a soapbox but isn't 5 years old way too young for the front seat? I'm surprised no one said this yet. None of my business but, I mean, we are talking about the welfare of a child. I don't know what UK laws say about it it's usually 13 here in the US.
In the UK I believe any front facing seat is allowed in the front (I think that is 15 months / 9kg upwards, not sure, but a 5 year old is definitely allowed a front facing seat). There is the old wisdom that the middle back seat is the safest as it is furthest from any impact, but I think there is some research now on the front passenger seat being safer in many respects due to better technology on the seatbelts and airbags etc. There is also the argument sometimes made that a child in the front with just the driver is less distracting and therefore less likely to cause a collision. Our daughter feels sick in the back so that would definitely be a distraction.

jld1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S23
Country flag
In the UK I believe any front facing seat is allowed in the front (I think that is 15 months / 9kg upwards, not sure, but a 5 year old is definitely allowed a front facing seat). There is the old wisdom that the middle back seat is the safest as it is furthest from any impact, but I think there is some research now on the front passenger seat being safer in many respects due to better technology on the seatbelts and airbags etc. There is also the argument sometimes made that a child in the front with just the driver is less distracting and therefore less likely to cause a collision. Our daughter feels sick in the back so that would definitely be a distraction.
Interesting, well thanks for the reply. My daughter is turning 4 soon and I'd love her up in the front but she still seems too tiny for it.

MyA

First Name
Marc-Yvon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Dee got it right:

or

After the Big Update you can now drive with your passenger display on while no passenger is in the seat.
I wrote several emails to Porsche, asking why I'm paying for an option I can't even use?!! 😡
They listen to their customers obviously...
Thank you Porsche! 🥳👍🏻

First, select the middle button in the lower middle display.
Then, deselect the checkbox in the pop-up menu in the upper middle display.
This is only possible in Park.
Close the pop-up menu.

If this doesn't work the first time, try this:
-Call up the pop-up menu again.
-Select (activate) the standby mode.
-Put into Drive.
-Put into Park.
-Deselect the standby mode.
-Close pop-up menu.
-Put into Drive.

As long as you don't put it into Park it stays on.

The setting is not stored though so you have to do this every time you start the car.

Credits: Dee Miller

Jaydoc

First Name
Judith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Targa, Taycan on order
Country flag
Not to get on a soapbox but isn't 5 years old way too young for the front seat? I'm surprised no one said this yet. None of my business but, I mean, we are talking about the welfare of a child. I don't know what UK laws say about it it's usually 13 here in the US.
You are correct. It is definitely not safe and it is against the law here in AZ to have a child that age/size in the front seat.

OP
OP

AlexG

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dee got it right:

or

After the Big Update you can now drive with your passenger display on while no passenger is in the seat.
I wrote several emails to Porsche, asking why I'm paying for an option I can't even use?!! 😡
They listen to their customers obviously...
Thank you Porsche! 🥳👍🏻

First, select the middle button in the lower middle display.
Then, deselect the checkbox in the pop-up menu in the upper middle display.
This is only possible in Park.
Close the pop-up menu.

If this doesn't work the first time, try this:
-Call up the pop-up menu again.
-Select (activate) the standby mode.
-Put into Drive.
-Put into Park.
-Deselect the standby mode.
-Close pop-up menu.
-Put into Drive.

As long as you don't put it into Park it stays on.

The setting is not stored though so you have to do this every time you start the car.

Credits: Dee Miller
Couldn’t get this to work

OP
OP

AlexG

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You are correct. It is definitely not safe and it is against the law here in AZ to have a child that age/size in the front seat.
Maybe that’s the rule in AZ - but it’s perfectly legal in Europe for front facing child seats to be in the front (and btw the last stats I saw showed being in a car in Europe is statistically 4x safer than being in a car in the US, so I don’t have a huge amount of comfort in AZ laws).

I understand the old advice is based on the middle seat in the back being furthest from the most likely impact (at the front), and some other factors such as potential harm from early versions of airbags in the front. A lot of people also confuse the rules for rear facing and front facing seats.

There are studies showing it can actually be safer in the front of modern cars if you have better technology there than the back, and also if there is is only one adult and one child in the car (distraction being one of the biggest causes of accidents). Volvo for example says it’s just as safe in the front.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just for the record, in the US, it’s generally a combination of weight and height that determines when a child is allowed to sit in the front seat. The real issue is that an exploding airbag could cause a child to break their neck. (An errant driver turned into my first Taycan at one point 2 years ago, causing all the airbags to go off and the pain in my chest lasted for weeks.)

In Washington state, if a child is less than 4‘9“ tall (145 cm) they have to be in either a child seat or a booster seat. After they are 4 foot 9 it is still recommended that they sit in a back seat between ages of 8 and 12. For the record, my 12 year-old granddaughter is 5 foot 7 and has been sitting in the front seat of my Taycan for two years now.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I’m able to have the passenger screen on in my car by: (1) when driving, reach over and buckle the passenger seat, (2) push down on the passenger cushion for 3 seconds.

new2porsche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SQ7, 458, V60 P
Country flag
I’m able to have the passenger screen on in my car by: (1) when driving, reach over and buckle the passenger seat, (2) push down on the passenger cushion for 3 seconds.
Where exactly do you push, I’ve tried this many times in many places and it does not work

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Where exactly do you push, I’ve tried this many times in many places and it does not work
Right in the middle of the bottom seat but you have to hold it down for a few seconds. But when seat belt is in and while moving.
Sponsored