ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
A reasonably positive message from car and driver, dinging the range of which they only got 188 at 75 miles an hour in winter with the 21 inch wheels. They had a separate review on that which is also posted in this forum.

when it comes to driving they could only doing it for a substandard infotainment system and its range.
I’m personally satisfied with the infotainment system and its range is reasonable with 20 inch wheels, I see 250-260mi with freeway driving and variable speeds.
Tested: 2020 Porsche Taycan 4S Shines as a Driver's EV
Car and Driver
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a35385367/2020-porsche-taycan-4s-by-the-numbers/
Porsche Taycan Car and Driver Tested: 2020 Taycan 4S Shines as a Driver's EV. Instrument Tested Performance Figures 90845B23-EDFF-4D22-A754-E25541057E0E
Sponsored

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a35385367/2020-porsche-taycan-4s-by-the-numbers/

C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 3.4 sec
100 mph: 8.1 sec
130 mph: 13.9 sec
150 mph: 20.1 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 3.9 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 1.7 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 2.1 sec
1/4 mile: 11.7 sec @ 120 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 155 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 147 ft
Braking, 100–0 mph: 289 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 1.06 g
Standing-start accel times omit 1-ft rollout of 0.2 sec.

I like C&D for their testing numbres (at the bottom of the article). For me, it was interesting to compare to the Panamera 4S that I sold recently while awaiting for my Taycan Turbo.

It can also be compared to the C&D numbers for the Turbo S:

C/D TEST RESULTS
Rollout, 1 ft: 0.2 sec
60 mph: 2.4 sec
100 mph: 6.0 sec
130 mph: 10.5 sec
150 mph: 15.2 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 2.9 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 1.1 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 1.6 sec
¼-mile: 10.5 sec @ 130 mph
Top speed (mfr's claim): 162 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 155 ft
Braking, 100–0 mph: 306 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.99 g

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Looks like my Turbo S takes 8 ft. longer to brake from 70 mph - even with these massive and very expensive brakes!!:oops:

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
1.06g is unbelievable. I remember when people went nuts over 1.0g for a Corvette. I can't tell whether the tires were different but both the 4S and the Turbo S had the 21" wheels.

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My only thought on the better #'s from the 4S vs the Turbo on the G's, braking, etc.. would be difference in settings (regen brakes perhaps?), tires, and C&D just getting better at testing the Taycan. I'd love to see a C&D test result of Turbo vs Turbo S (I'm guessing they'll be very close in everything except the launch-control 0-60).

EDIT: Both The 4S and Turbo S they tested had the carbon ceramic brakes.

Last edited:

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Tesla Model Y, 2020 MB GLE450
Country flag
My only thought on the better #'s from the 4S vs the Turbo on the G's, braking, etc.. would be difference in settings (regen brakes perhaps?), tires, and C&D just getting better at testing the Taycan. I'd love to see a C&D test result of Turbo vs Turbo S (I'm guessing they'll be very close in everything except the launch-control 0-60).

I am very pleased with the performance of this car, and these numbers back up my "seat of the pants" thoughts when I drive it. It feels very quick, agile, nimble, and effortlessly fast. 3.4 seconds 0-60 and 1.06G skidpad results were supercar numbers just a few years ago! The 4S will be plenty of car for 99.9% of people when it comes to performance in the real world. The range for me has been a non-issue, I routinely get 200 miles at 85% charge level, and 250 miles at 100% charge level driving reasonably, but by no means trying to boost my range by driving super conservatively. The Turbo S is a supercar, and can compete with anything on the road.

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
One has to wonder why C&D got lower 75 mph range in the 4S compared to the Turbo S they compared to the Tesla Model S a year ago:

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...an-turbo-s-vs-2020-tesla-model-s-performance/

Also, interesting they did not note that the Tesla, which was rated near 400 miles at the time of that testing, only returned 222 miles at 75 mph. Given the difference in battery size that was nearly a wash between the Turbo S and Model S. The 188 for the 4S is unexplained, and out of line with other range tests that have shown about 270 miles for 4S at 70 mph (one with 21" wheels and one with 19" wheels).

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
They drove the 4S in 40 degree weather, the other two in Summer. That's a 15-25% efficiency loss.
In the comparison article from last year, I don’t see a temp mentioned, but in one of the pictures o the Turbo S’ dash it show 80 degrees F. My main point was C&D used the 180 mile range figure as a negative, but in reality the Model S gave a very similar range at summer temps, and would be expected to be lower in winter as well. Tesla has been very clever in promoting their inflated EPA range numbers to the point that most car reviewers take them as “truth” and use them without any “discounting” when comparing to other EVs with lower EPA ratings, such as the Taycan and E-tron, which tend to meet or exceed their EPA ratings while Tesla routinely falls short In the real world.

Has anyone seen any consumption data shared by the Out of Spec Motoring guys who did the Cannonball run about a month ago in a 4S with 19” wheels? I thought they would share their data, but I have not seen it in any of their videos.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They drove the 4S in 40 degree weather, the other two in Summer. That's a 15-25% efficiency loss.
And for many of us 40 F is actually "warm" in the winter. I'd say about 20% loss in the winter is reasonable. Driving it like a Porsche - mine is about a 25% loss.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
1.06g is unbelievable. I remember when people went nuts over 1.0g for a Corvette. I can't tell whether the tires were different but both the 4S and the Turbo S had the 21" wheels.
I have a max G launch of 1.21 in Taycan

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag

Turbo S is 75 kg heavier than the 4S+ due to the bigger rear motor - more weight means longer breaking distance.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Turbo S is 75 kg heavier than the 4S+ due to the bigger rear motor - more weight means longer breaking distance.
Not directly related to this thread....I was at a Porsche Taycan road show event on a track and had a chance to do 5 laps (3 at high speeds) in the Taycan Turbo. The car had Mision E wheels, summer rubber and steel brakes. Last straight into a tight right hander saw speeds of about 130 and full on braking. The car brakes well, for its weight, but the tires had a hard time keeping grip and it was handeful. When I finished and exited the car the brakes were smoking, a lot. It's amazing that the car handled and could brake as well as it did, but a full circuit or a half day at the track, brakes would be toasted.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
edit: Mine was a repost and was merged with this thread. Sorry and thank you @admins :blush:

Good people of the Taycan Forum,

I don't know if this got posted/shared already. I saw this review of the Taycan 4S that seems objective and detailed.

It got me really excited for my Taycan so I thought I'd share :D

What sparked my interest the most though is the fact that they measured their own times and performance of the Taycan 4S.

I always wondered what the real world 0-60 time was for the Taycan, since Porsche likes to underestimate. They measured a 3.4s !

Not that I plan to go on drag strips with my 4S, I just wondered what the car can really put down on the road.
They also mention that it hits the quarter mile in just 11.7s at 120mph.

So good news for me that lives in Switzerland, where just a few mph too much can get you bankrupt and/or in jail :D
Sponsored

Last edited: