Car arrived, but dealer is cancelling the sale?

Bigben

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover L405 4.4L SDV8, VW T-ROC R, Yamaha FZ8
Country flag
If you agree to register in IL and have a signed order sheet matching the VIN allocated to the order… I don’t think they can refuse to sell based on a cash payment. The sale can’t be conditional to a finance agreement… I’d call their bluff and kick off about it to head office
Sponsored

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you agree to register in Illinois, just be sure Washington will allow you to transfer title on a new car without taxing it like California does, or your gonna pay sales tax twice.

You should have gotten in writing that you were taking delivery in Washington.

Allegedly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Land Rover Defender, '22 Ford Bronco, '22 Tayc
Country flag
If you agree to register in Illinois, just be sure Washington will allow you to transfer title on a new car without taxing it like California does, or your gonna pay sales tax twice.

You should have gotten in writing that you were taking delivery in Washington.
Porsche Taycan Car arrived, but dealer is cancelling the sale? Screenshot_20220607-142403

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Is your dealer trying to sell the car for more money to another party?

I am taking delivery of my GTS tomorrow at an out-of-area dealer, but in the same state, and was just informed that they get penalized from Porsche for selling out of area. I almost got cold feet right at that moment, but he assured me pricing etc. is fine but need me to add prepaid maintenance for xxx, which I need to do anyways.

OP
OP

johnschlemmer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Alright, update on my part. I think it’s going to work out. I agreed to pay cash, and register the car in IL with an IL address and a co-signer. They couldn’t do finance because the finance needs to be at the same address as the car registration. I gave them the info they need, and they said they should be able to make this work. If this is the case, then they really weren’t trying to sell the car at a markup and there must be some sort of enforcement coming from Porsche higher up.

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
Alright, update on my part. I think it’s going to work out. I agreed to pay cash, and register the car in IL with an IL address and a co-signer. They couldn’t do finance because the finance needs to be at the same address as the car registration. I gave them the info they need, and they said they should be able to make this work. If this is the case, then they really weren’t trying to sell the car at a markup and there must be some sort of enforcement coming from Porsche higher up.
I've purchased both Porsches in the last 8 months our of state and have a 911 allocation at an out of state dealership. Passed this on via text to my sales manager and he said he has no idea if this is from PCNA but hasn't heard anything. Interesting if it is

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is the standard for a straight purchase from out of state, NOT for purchase and register in another state and then movement of title and registration to Washington. In California, once registered in another State, the car can’t be transferred to California until it has 7500 miles on it without paying sales tax again, with no credit available from the other state.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've purchased both Porsches in the last 8 months our of state and have a 911 allocation at an out of state dealership. Passed this on via text to my sales manager and he said he has no idea if this is from PCNA but hasn't heard anything. Interesting if it is
There are no limitations at all with selling out of region. Anyone who claims such is misinformed. Some dealers won’t do it, but it has nothing to do with directives from PCNA.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
BTW, the ‘enforcement’ is likely from the State of Illinois, not Porsche. Some states are pressuring dealers to pay sales tax on every sale or prove the car was never driven on state roads. The penalty is a big fine.

In California, technically, the car has to go straight into a trailer and be shipped across state lines, and cannot be driven off the lot. Any dealer that sells a car that is driven off without remitting sales tax on the sale can be fined by the State.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
So, I ordered my GTS 7-8 months ago. The car arrived at the dealer, and I got a call saying they can no longer complete the sale. Im a WA resident, purchasing a car from an IL dealer. They agreed this could work if I would take delivery in IL, as long as I’d finance the car so they’d get more money / points / whatever it is they get through finance. This was all agreed upon verbally, in addition to signing the purchase order. Today, they’re telling me that I cannot complete the purchase unless I register the car in IL.

I offered another solution - I have family in IL, and I would register the car under two owners, with an IL address. Downside is I cannot finance this way, because the finance address needs to be at the same address as registration. I’m asking now to see if I can pay cash… They said they’d get back to me on a final decision, but the car was already removed from my account so I’m getting a bit worried.

Is this legal? Do you think they found some excuse to cancel my order so they can sell it at a higher markup? What should I do? Should I call Porsche NA? They’ve been good to work with up until this point so I’m definitely concerned about this last minute gotcha.

EDIT: this might work out, there was a concern about finance being a different address than registration, and they’re trying to make it work. If it works, then they really weren’t trying to flip the car and there must have been something else higher up stopping them. If not, we’ll, you’ll hear about it either way!
Admittedly, I am a bit more hard core than most but I would be prepared to go to the state attorney general, Better Business Bureau and the local news about deceptive business practices. All of these are a bit more challenging when you live in a state that is other than that where the transaction is being executed. I have long since warned against buying cars from out of state because the “accountability equation” is slightly different than working with a local dealer. They should not get any more money out of you than was contemplated in the original deal.

Allegedly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is the standard for a straight purchase from out of state, NOT for purchase and register in another state and then movement of title and registration to Washington. In California, once registered in another State, the car can’t be transferred to California until it has 7500 miles on it without paying sales tax again, with no credit available from the other state.
No offense but California isn't relevant here. For Washington, the text says nothing about prior registration in another state.

Porsche Taycan Car arrived, but dealer is cancelling the sale? Screenshot_20220607-151706

Can you show you paid it prior to bringing it into Washington? Sounds like that's all they care about but that's a fairly cursory explaination.

Fwiw, here's the actual law. https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=82.12.035

Call the DMV and they'll sort it out.

Last edited:

Allegedly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It further looks as if Washington has reciprocity with Illinois and an out of state resident isn't required to pay Illinois tax on vehicles purchased there.

Titling the vehicle in Illinois doesn't give residency in Illinois and those two should not be conflated.

I'm not an expert on this but I've purchased out of state 3 times and it's just not that difficult so the OP shouldn't be scared away. Just call the DMV and get the answer first.

Attachments

Visceral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 Turbo S. Spyder and CT4S on the way
Country flag
There is new allocation rules for US dealers whereby they need to prove that a car sale of several models (911, GT cars, Taycans) ar emade to individuals within their served area.

If they can not prove residency to PCNA, they will lose allocations the following years.

MConte05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4. GTS ST inbound
Country flag
Admittedly, I am a bit more hard core than most but I would be prepared to go to the state attorney general, Better Business Bureau and the local news about deceptive business practices.
slightly off topic but as a business owner just like to remind people that the BBB is NOT a government agency. It’s just a marketing firm that likes to put on a face that it is a government backed agency. They try to get companies to pay money to be “accredited” and generally can be mob like in their tactics to get businesses to spend money marketing with them.

same thing with Yelp.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
slightly off topic but as a business owner just like to remind people that the BBB is NOT a government agency. It’s just a marketing firm that likes to put on a face that it is a government backed agency. They try to get companies to pay money to be “accredited” and generally can be mob like in their tactics to get businesses to spend money marketing with them.

same thing with Yelp.
Agreed. That’s why its only one of three things I would do.
Sponsored