Car arrived, but dealer is cancelling the sale?

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
No offense but California isn't relevant here. For Washington, the text says nothing about prior registration in another state.

Screenshot_20220607-151706.png

Can you show you paid it prior to bringing it into Washington? Sounds like that's all they care about but that's a fairly cursory explaination.

Fwiw, here's the actual law. https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=82.12.035

Call the DMV and they'll sort it out.
I wasn’t saying that California was relevant. I was only pointing out that what you referenced was not relevant to the transaction described.

What matters is the rule in Washington state about transferring title on a new car that has already been registered in another state.

Allegedly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Land Rover Defender, '22 Ford Bronco, '22 Tayc
Country flag
I wasn’t saying that California was relevant. I was only pointing out that what you referenced was not relevant to the transaction described.

What matters is the rule in Washington state about transferring title on a new car that has already been registered in another state.
Except the op is literally a Washington resident buying in IL and I posted information on, you know, Washington residents bringing in cars and the sales tax reciprocity that the seem to have with Illinois while you keep bringing up... California.

As if California nanny state laws have anything to do with most of the rest of the world.

I'm not posting relevant information?

Okay.

I have no dog in this hunt. I'm setting it to ignore this thread.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Except the op is literally a Washington resident buying in IL and I posted information on, you know, Washington residents bringing in cars and the sales tax reciprocity that the seem to have with Illinois while you keep bringing up... California.

As if California nanny state laws have anything to do with most of the rest of the world.

I'm not posting relevant information?

Okay.

I have no dog in this hunt. I'm setting it to ignore this thread.
There is a difference between buying a car out of state to register in your state vs. buying a car out of state, registering it in the other state, and then transferring title to your state.

The latter will result in double taxation in some states, California being an example - again ‘an example’. Relevant law would be Washington’s rules around that second type transaction. You were referencing the rules around the first type, which are irrelevant. Let me know if I need to type slower so you can understand.

Deleted member 6348

Friendly reminder that you don't own the car until you do the transaction. You may have a deposit in. It may be the build that you specified. It's not legally your car until you complete the transaction at the dealer. There are plenty of stories of people that had some kind of delay with their ability to pick up the car and the car was sold out from underneath them. It's not flipping the car, because the car is new, never been titled.

A number of years years ago, I bought a car where the person who originally ordered it had a delay with their financing. It was a very hard to find model with long waiting lists. The car was just sitting there on the dealer lot. I asked the dealer if it was already sold. They shared with me the story. They put forth an ultimatum with the person that ordered the car -- that person couldn't come up with the money. It was mine by the end of the day.

In this environment, it's especially important that you need to be ready to close the deal.

If you are buying out of state, you need to have your own cash and/or financing lined up. You also need to understand the tax implications of doing so.

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
BTW, the ‘enforcement’ is likely from the State of Illinois, not Porsche. Some states are pressuring dealers to pay sales tax on every sale or prove the car was never driven on state roads. The penalty is a big fine.

In California, technically, the car has to go straight into a trailer and be shipped across state lines, and cannot be driven off the lot. Any dealer that sells a car that is driven off without remitting sales tax on the sale can be fined by the State.

This is true. I have a home in California but live most of the year do my summer boating in Washington. I bought a new Malibu surf boat this year from a Cali dealer and I had to take delivery in Oregon and have docs notarized that I was taking delivery outside of California to avoid paying California tax. Of course I still had to pay the WA sales tax (10.1%$ however to get the boat registered in Washington.

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
There is new allocation rules for US dealers whereby they need to prove that a car sale of several models (911, GT cars, Taycans) ar emade to individuals within their served area.

If they can not prove residency to PCNA, they will lose allocations the following years.
That’s interesting if true. it will definitely hurt the free market for cars

Speedyj

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Porsche Lincolnwood is charging 10 percent adm on all their Taycans. I don’t get this requirement of registering car in state. Seems like they are trying to back out to find someone else to charge adm.

friskygeek

First Name
faisal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GTS ST (on order), '22 Macan, Cirrus SR22
Country flag
There is new allocation rules for US dealers whereby they need to prove that a car sale of several models (911, GT cars, Taycans) ar emade to individuals within their served area.

If they can not prove residency to PCNA, they will lose allocations the following years.
Do you know how they define "served area?" Is there a mile radius from their store location or something else? I have my name on a few dealers around my state for an allocation and they specifically asked me my address before they even put my name on their list. Which means that Im good but really wanna be sure.
thanks

IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
“Take delivery in“ does not on its face mean “register in“. Smells like the dealer is simply trying to cancel the deal so it can sell the car for more. I bought my Taycan from a MI dealer. Per my request, the car was registered in Florida and delivered to me in North Carolina. I’m under the impression that the dealer can register the car in whatever state you wish so long as that state allows for registration by an out of state dealer.

OP
OP

johnschlemmer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
For any of those following, they were able to work it out for me! I took delivery in IL yesterday, also registered in IL, and paid cash. No markup. Seems they did have their hands tied by some sort of regulation, whether it came from the owner or Porsche itself I do not know. But we made it work!
Sponsored