Car charged to 100% despite charging profile being set to 85% maximum

Basebull7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My profile is set to 85% and it’s been working like a charm. Car stops charging at 85%. However last night it fully charged car to 100%. It was set to my profile. Just curious if anyone knows why the car ignored the profile of 85% and charged fully to 100%.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My profile is set to 85% and it’s been working like a charm. Car stops charging at 85%. However last night it fully charged car to 100%. It was set to my profile. Just curious if anyone knows why the car ignored the profile of 85% and charged fully to 100%.
There is large debate on this topic on the forum if you take a look - we don't all agree and have differing experiences.

You can't set a target charge on a profile - this can only be done on a Timer where a 'Target Charge' can be set. Profiles provide the feature to set a minimum charge (25% or higher) - so not a precise means of control. Minimum in this case is 85% but no means to control the upper limit.

In order to (now) control the precise charge and end time then you must set a departure timer (Timer) otherwise you run the risk of overrunning the expected time slot.

I've always used both a timer and a profile since day 1 but others haven't and I think that since one of the recent software updates to the car the treatment of these may have changed. I've therefore not noticed any difference in behaviour of profiles.

Note that the charging period in a Profile is labelled "Preferred Charging Times" which doesn't necessarily imply rigid adherence to the time slot booked. It works best with the Porsche Home Energy Manager which I don't think is available in US and the Optimised Charging feature.

To ensure precise control you need to add a departure time - this controls when the charging ends and charging is paused. Obviously you don't have to drive the vehicle i.e. 'depart' but it is the reliable way to lock down the charging end time.

Porsche Taycan Car charged to 100% despite charging profile being set to 85% maximum 1630836316271

Porsche Taycan Car charged to 100% despite charging profile being set to 85% maximum 1630836648992

I think Porsche should reword and re-explain how these features are intended to work and certainly wouldn't pass the Crystal Mark for english!

Last edited:

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
How about one simple rule: Delete / deselect ALL profiles; and configure and enable one or more timers for when you want to leave or the end of your low rate electricity.

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Did you check to see if you accidentally turned on "Direct Charging" - that would override the profile setting. Your setup is how I have my car set - General Charging Profile with minimum charge set to 85%. Car automatically stops charging at 85%.

Superrat

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Crosss Turismo
Country flag
What is the best way to set charging start time. I want the car to start charging at a designated time (9:00 PM) when rates go down to almost nothing. Seems the profile doesn’t control start time as I thought It would. I set charging profile to start at 9 but as soon as I plugged car in @ 5:30 it started charging ( green light pulsing, not steady green). The pulsing light (charging status) didnt change at 9:01 so not sure what give. Any thought on this would be much appreciated.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Set a timer too. Note that if your battery charge is less than minimum charge value set in your profile the car will charge immediately and then pause when target is met. Typically set this value to 25%

Porsche Taycan Car charged to 100% despite charging profile being set to 85% maximum Daily Timer.PNG

Porsche Taycan Car charged to 100% despite charging profile being set to 85% maximum Profile - Preferred Charging Time

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
What is the best way to set charging start time. I want the car to start charging at a designated time (9:00 PM) when rates go down to almost nothing. Seems the profile doesn’t control start time as I thought It would. I set charging profile to start at 9 but as soon as I plugged car in @ 5:30 it started charging ( green light pulsing, not steady green). The pulsing light (charging status) didnt change at 9:01 so not sure what give. Any thought on this would be much appreciated.
As @W1NGE mentioned, the car will charge to the profile minimum as soon as you plug in. The lowest this can be is 25%. And actually, the car will always charge to at least 25% when plugged in, regardless of settings.

Then you can use the profile preferred charge times to control the charging window for the car, but it will charge to 100% (if time allows). There is no way to set a maximum for this. But that’s the only way to actually control the start time.

Otherwise, you have to use a timer to set a target charge and end time.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag
There is large debate on this topic on the forum if you take a look - we don't all agree and have differing experiences.

You can't set a target charge on a profile - this can only be done on a Timer where a 'Target Charge' can be set. Profiles provide the feature to set a minimum charge (25% or higher) - so not a precise means of control. Minimum in this case is 85% but no means to control the upper limit.

In order to (now) control the precise charge and end time then you must set a departure timer (Timer) otherwise you run the risk of overrunning the expected time slot.

I've always used both a timer and a profile since day 1 but others haven't and I think that since one of the recent software updates to the car the treatment of these may have changed. I've therefore not noticed any difference in behaviour of profiles.

Note that the charging period in a Profile is labelled "Preferred Charging Times" which doesn't necessarily imply rigid adherence to the time slot booked. It works best with the Porsche Home Energy Manager which I don't think is available in US and the Optimised Charging feature.

To ensure precise control you need to add a departure time - this controls when the charging ends and charging is paused. Obviously you don't have to drive the vehicle i.e. 'depart' but it is the reliable way to lock down the charging end time.

1630836316271.png

1630836648992.png

I think Porsche should reword and re-explain how these features are intended to work and certainly wouldn't pass the Crystal Mark for english!
. i do not believe you are right setting the profile in my case at 90% always results in a 90% charge without fail .However you are right in that the Porsche profile settings are confusing

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
. i do not believe you are right setting the profile in my case at 90% always results in a 90% charge without fail .However you are right in that the Porsche profile settings are confusing
Fair enough but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm 12 months into ownership and continue to control and precisely charge using the timer and profile combination. If I don't I will overcharge.

Yorkshirepuds

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Harley Heritage, Triumph Rocket 3
Country flag
If I don't I will overcharge.
I still don't understand why limiting our charge to 80-85% is needed to protect the battery when we seem to have established (or at least strongly inferred) that there is a hidden safety margin already built in to the charging software.... so an indicated 100% is only in reality something in the order of 80-85% of the actual battery capacity.

On my 'Masterclass' recently, my dealer told me it was fine to charge to 100% every time and even to leave the car plugged in at home on 100% when I went away on holiday and the system would manage the condition of the battery (and the integrity of the warranty!) indefinitely. On here, I get the impression that people think that advice is tosh and they avoid charging to (an indicated) 100% unless it's absolutely necessary.

Gotta admit that I'm still pretty confused...

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I still don't understand why limiting our charge to 80-85% is needed to protect the battery when we seem to have established (or at least strongly inferred) that there is a hidden safety margin already built in to the charging software.... so an indicated 100% is only in reality something in the order of 80-85% of the actual battery capacity.

On my 'Masterclass' recently, my dealer told me it was fine to charge to 100% every time and even to leave the car plugged in at home on 100% when I went away on holiday and the system would manage the condition of the battery (and the integrity of the warranty!) indefinitely. On here, I get the impression that people think that advice is tosh and they avoid charging to (an indicated) 100% unless it's absolutely necessary.

Gotta admit that I'm still pretty confused...
Official Porsche documentation (Good To Know App, Owner's Manual etc) say different. If you don't plan on keeping the car beyond the 8 year battery warranty then charge as you please. Not ideal that Dealers contradict the manufacturers guidance but as we know the general level of knowledge and competence of some of these folks is at best mediocre.

The thing to remember is that the EV model is predicated around charging to what you need / plan to use rather than always having a full tank. This way you spend less time charging and more time driving. If planning a long trip and want to minimise stopovers to charge then charge to 100% (proviso that you use on the same day rather than sit for days before consuming).

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Fair enough but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm 12 months into ownership and continue to control and precisely charge using the timer and profile combination. If I don't I will overcharge.
It is interesting to see how differently we set up the charging, after more than a year of ownership?

While away travelling and using the parking garage chargers at max 3.5 kW I have for the first time used the Profile to charge. Setting it to max 85% worked perfectly and the car could take 20 hours or so to recharge the battery. No departure timer set at all and it worked very well about 8 to 10 times when needed.

However when I set the departure timer for the next day say 20 hours later and at 85%, and having checked manually that it would be enough time to charge, it failed. I was delayed and did only arrive 5 hours after the set departure time and the car was still charging at more than 94% SOC? My theory here is that during the long charging time there was such a demand in the garage that the EVSE could not keep up the desired 3.5 kW, so the departure time was missed.

At home I normally have the departure time set and using the PMCC with 11 kW it calculates the start time so it stops at 85%.
Sponsored