andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Anyone know if the Q1 update is going to allow the use of profiles and timers in a sane way? I need to charge only between 1-5am due to a TOU billing plan and prefer to charge to 85% without preconditioning at the end. It seems despite the complicated setup Porsche has designed that this currently can’t be achieved. Perhaps as part of fixing this bug they’ll simplify but yet make the charging options more useful?
Sponsored

MadsK

First Name
Mads
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Anyone know if the Q1 update is going to allow the use of profiles and timers in a sane way? I need to charge only between 1-5am due to a TOU billing plan and prefer to charge to 85% without preconditioning at the end. It seems despite the complicated setup Porsche has designed that this currently can’t be achieved. Perhaps as part of fixing this bug they’ll simplify but yet make the charging options more useful?
You can turn preconditioning off from the PCM Main Menu. Press Air Condition - Precool/h - Precool/heat set to off.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I've been charging this way for 10 months. Here's my config:
  • General profile (which can't be deleted) is set for minimum level of 85%. You can deactivate this profile, but it is not necessary.
  • I have a profile set for home (GPS), preferred charging times are set for 9pm - 6am (my weekday off-peak hours), minimum level of 25% (lowest you can set it).
  • I have a timer set for 6am departure, target SOC 85%, without interior pre-conditioning enabled (this is just a check box in the timer set-up).
  • I then have one or two additional timers set ONLY for interior pre-conditioning, which I turn on only when I want that pre-conditioning AND plan to be connected to the charger to get it. Normally these are deactivated.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I've been charging this way for 10 months. Here's my config:
  • General profile (which can't be deleted) is set for minimum level of 85%. You can deactivate this profile, but it is not necessary.
  • I have a profile set for home (GPS), preferred charging times are set for 9pm - 6am (my weekday off-peak hours), minimum level of 25% (lowest you can set it).
  • I have a timer set for 6am departure, target SOC 85%, without interior pre-conditioning enabled (this is just a check box in the timer set-up).
  • I then have one or two additional timers set ONLY for interior pre-conditioning, which I turn on only when I want that pre-conditioning AND plan to be connected to the charger to get it. Normally these are deactivated.
So here is the problem as I currently see it (I don’t yet have my Taycan, but I have 3 EVs):

We are now in the habit of always plugging our cars in when it’s in the garage. We have 3 cars and 3 EVSEs. It makes life super easy. When you get out of the car, you grab the cable and plug in and walk away.

On the Teslas with scheduled charging, the car will do nothing until 1am. With the Taycan, because there is a minimum level of 25%, it will immediately start charging if the SOC is below that level, which in my case would cost 3.5x the ”off peak” rate. If we pull in below 5%, we will manually charge to ~5%, as keeping the SOC that low is bad for the pack, and you don’t want the 12v to discharge to the point that it dies and no charging occurs. So now having written this, I guess my only complaint is the 25% minimum. We should be able to set it to 5%.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So here is the problem as I currently see it (I don’t yet have my Taycan, but I have 3 EVs):

We are now in the habit of always plugging our cars in when it’s in the garage. We have 3 cars and 3 EVSEs. It makes life super easy. When you get out of the car, you grab the cable and plug in and walk away.

On the Teslas with scheduled charging, the car will do nothing until 1am. With the Taycan, because there is a minimum level of 25%, it will immediately start charging if the SOC is below that level, which in my case would cost 3.5x the ”off peak” rate. If we pull in below 5%, we will manually charge to ~5%, as keeping the SOC that low is bad for the pack, and you don’t want the 12v to discharge to the point that it dies and no charging occurs. So now having written this, I guess my only complaint is the 25% minimum. We should be able to set it to 5%.
Yep - Porsche doesn't have an answer for that. An EVSE with a timer would, but with all the 12V problems with charging, I'd hesitate combining an EVSE timer with Porsche's implementation. The solution, incredibly simple, is for Porsche to allow us to set < 25% in a profile. Allow us to set it to zero or disable minimum charge. Fine if they want to default it to 25% for those who never go in to change it.

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag

Mad Pat 66

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Assuming you hadn't left the car for like three weeks, that's really worrying. With lockdown, I have been turning the car on for about a minute once every week or two to make sure the 12V battery is charged - it takes about 20-30s to charge from 12.9V back up to the full 13.4V. However, if this is now happening just by leaving the car in the driveway for a day, it's a massive issue. I had hoped that if this happened it would only be where I've been charging or plugged in at home and so can deal with the fuse box jump start, but if it could happen anywhere at anytime, even more worrisome. Please make sure you register this with your dealership, since I am not sure Porsche is fully aware that this is a problem that also occurs when the car is not plugged to a charger.
It hasn’t been a problem since. The car had been driven every day and had only been left overnight. Reported it to Porsche when in to get PCM sorted, but they just looked blank.

My biggest issue now is that after spending £2.5k on a 22Kw 3 phase charger I find that it’s only got an 11Kw on board charger and this can’t be replaced with the new 22Kw on board charger.
Faster charging is only at the commercial sites, not home or work unfortunately.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It hasn’t been a problem since. The car had been driven every day and had only been left overnight. Reported it to Porsche when in to get PCM sorted, but they just looked blank.

My biggest issue now is that after spending £2.5k on a 22Kw 3 phase charger I find that it’s only got an 11Kw on board charger and this can’t be replaced with the new 22Kw on board charger.
Faster charging is only at the commercial sites, not home or work unfortunately.
Man, that sucks. I seem to remember one of our German posters suggesting that dealers over there were saying that the 22kw on board charger could be retrofitted (at a price!). If that is the case, perhaps it will come over here eventually.

Mad Pat 66

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Man, that sucks. I seem to remember one of our German posters suggesting that dealers over there were saying that the 22kw on board charger could be retrofitted (at a price!). If that is the case, perhaps it will come over here eventually.

I hope so, but I have to admit, I have spoken to two dealerships in the U.K. and both said no, but I get the feeling that is a “no without knowing”.
Will keep an eagle eye out for any indignation about this on these threads and will take it up with Porsche again at a later date.

CarpeDM

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I arrived on this thread in the past week when my '22 Taycan 4S experienced the "12 volt problem" this week. Given I was traveling, the car sat in the garage for two weeks unplugged. When I went to use it on my return, it was completely dead, ie no response to key. Making a long story short, the dealer came out with two guys and a loaner. The technician was able to get it going (manual entry into car, opening frunk by applying current to the jumper in the driver side footwell access panel, and then jumping the 12volt battery via the frunk access), but took the car back to the dealership for full analysis of the battery. I was relieved to find out that the high voltage battery was still at 70% indicating that nothing I had done had caused the 12 volt discharge. Technician indicated that if I had the car plugged in, it probably would not have happened. I told him that the problem has happened to people who are plugged in (from this thread) and he said he's pretty sure that that problem was limited to the '20 model year. We all agreed that a car dying after sitting for 2 weeks is pretty unacceptable.

They returned the car the next day and indicated that the 12volt passed all diagnostics. While I give the dealer high marks in this episode, I give HQ a really poor grade. This is my first Porsche. I'm about 90 days into ownership. While much of the car is truly amazing, I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the number of known systems issues and Porsche's seeming inability to fix them more quickly. I'll point out that Porsche Connect has NEVER worked for the car, but that's the subject for another post.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I arrived on this thread in the past week when my '22 Taycan 4S experienced the "12 volt problem" this week. Given I was traveling, the car sat in the garage for two weeks unplugged. When I went to use it on my return, it was completely dead, ie no response to key. Making a long story short, the dealer came out with two guys and a loaner. The technician was able to get it going (manual entry into car, opening frunk by applying current to the jumper in the driver side footwell access panel, and then jumping the 12volt battery via the frunk access), but took the car back to the dealership for full analysis of the battery. I was relieved to find out that the high voltage battery was still at 70% indicating that nothing I had done had caused the 12 volt discharge. Technician indicated that if I had the car plugged in, it probably would not have happened. I told him that the problem has happened to people who are plugged in (from this thread) and he said he's pretty sure that that problem was limited to the '20 model year. We all agreed that a car dying after sitting for 2 weeks is pretty unacceptable.

They returned the car the next day and indicated that the 12volt passed all diagnostics. While I give the dealer high marks in this episode, I give HQ a really poor grade. This is my first Porsche. I'm about 90 days into ownership. While much of the car is truly amazing, I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the number of known systems issues and Porsche's seeming inability to fix them more quickly. I'll point out that Porsche Connect has NEVER worked for the car, but that's the subject for another post.
So apologies, but a bit confused - what exactly then caused the 12v battery discharge? Techs seem to be suggesting that there were/are no error codes with the car, correct? Pretty disturbing if an undiagnosed issue (or I may be just 'thick' here!).

CarpeDM

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So apologies, but a bit confused - what exactly then caused the 12v battery discharge? Techs seem to be suggesting that there were/are no error codes with the car, correct? Pretty disturbing if an undiagnosed issue (or I may be just 'thick' here!).
Sadly, I think all involved are a bit confused and it is a bit disconcerting. You're correct, no indication of what exactly happened that caused this. Only a suggestion of how possibly to avoid it. I've left for another ~9 days, but this time I left it plugged in. We'll see what happens!

CarpeDM

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
And what did they use to jump the battery with?
They jumped the battery with a traditional car battery, not a smaller device like I've seen posted on this thread. What I didn't include in the original post which is worth noting is that a tow operator came out the day before (on a Sunday) and tried to get things going with a smaller charging device and he failed to even get the frunk open (applying current to the jumper in driver side foot well). I'm not certain if he failed to make a good connection to ground or if he didn't have enough amps for the situation. But my guess is it was a lack of sufficient amperage.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
the service manager said something interesting yesterday regarding the 12V problem - it's a more subtle issue we're dealing with - it's not so much "draining" the 12V battery as for some reason the 12V is "tripping offline" for it's perceived safety
Add another 12v issue to the list.

My 2022 Taycan lost 12v power over the weekend. I ran over to Autozone and picked up a Noco 'Booster'. Based on the great write up by Daveo4ev, I was able to quickly jump the car.

Last week I had charged the car to 85% using a Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (which was supplied with the car) and then disconnected it on Thursday. At that point the battery was fine since I was able to open the car and remove the power cable.

I did receive notifications on my iPhone that "Air conditioning of your vehicle is complete', but these messages pop up on my phone pretty much every time I unlock the car.

But sometime between Thursday night when I unplugged the charging cable and Saturday morning, the 12v battery went 'off line'. The battery was not dead since the booster I bought is small and just powerful enough to get the frunk open and boost the 12v battery. It seems the battery became disconnected from the rest of the Taycan.

I have reported this to my dealer and will drop my car off this week to have them take a look.

I'm wondering if there is a software issue which causes one the relays, which isolates the 12v battery, to be triggered and disconnects a good working 12v battery from the car. Speculation on my part.
Sponsored