Car is super noisy on highway

ChalkTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
Our Taycan 4S has the 21" e=mission wheels with the Goodyear Eagle F1 tire. It doesn't have the insulation glass option. The road noise on local street is fine but driving on highway on any speed is quite unbearable. We tried to play with the suspension settings and felt normal mode does sound a little quieter.
Does anyone have the same issue? Not sure should I bring it to the dealer to check or not. Btw, I am start regretting on not getting the sound insulation glass option.
Sponsored

356B

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
9114s
Bit sure if you are looking for general comments on road noise or specfic to your Goodyears, but I have MY21 4S with Pirelli Elects on Mission E's. Very quiet.
Summer Tires....

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
I have 21” Mission Es with the Contis. It’s as loud (or quiet) I expect an EV to be on the highway.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
Our Taycan 4S has the 21" e=mission wheels with the Goodyear Eagle F1 tire. It doesn't have the insulation glass option. The road noise on local street is fine but driving on highway on any speed is quite unbearable. We tried to play with the suspension settings and felt normal mode does sound a little quieter.
Does anyone have the same issue? Not sure should I bring it to the dealer to check or not. Btw, I am start regretting on not getting the sound insulation glass option.
This has to be the tires. I drove Base and 4S with 20 inch, no extra glass, yes different, almost too quiet.

Reactions: B61

NoRPM22

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Volcano Grey
Country flag
Check the tire wear, if they are wearing unevenly the tire will make more sound. You could just feel the surface to see if it feels like the grooves are protruding. Alignment could be needed if uneven wear.

Reactions: B61

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
Mission E wheels here with Continentals, no insulated glass, and the car is acceptably quiet with no noise issues whatsoever to complain about. As mentioned by other posters your problem is almost certainly specific to the Goodyears, the way they are wearing, or a particular highway road surface.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Mission E wheels here with Continentals, no insulated glass, and the car is acceptably quiet with no noise issues whatsoever to complain about. As mentioned by other posters your problem is almost certainly specific to the Goodyears, the way they are wearing, or a particular highway road surface.
I have the same setup. No noise issues.

VA_CT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Macan, 2022 4CT
Country flag
I have 21" Tursimo wheels with good year all season tires, it is noisy compared to continental or Michelin. I have similar experience as @submatrix, the tire noise varies by road type.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Bit sure if you are looking for general comments on road noise or specfic to your Goodyears, but I have MY21 4S with Pirelli Elects on Mission E's. Very quiet.
Summer Tires....
I have same tires and wheel size on my 2022 CT 4S and super quiet but do have thermal/noise glass.

Last edited:

Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
What is acceptable amount of road noise is kinda subjective, though. I wouldn't exactly call it S Class quiet, but compared to e.g. a Tesla it should be significantly more quiet.

I think however that it is to be expected to notice slightly more road noise in an EV than a traditional ICE car since the noise isn't drowned by the engine hum.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
You did not say anything about the outside temperature or whether the road surface is particular rough when you listened to the road noise. In summer time my car is very quiet and not much road noise.

I have the same combination, but have the insulating glass. My GoodYears are noisier when it gets below 10 C. And the difference at that temperature to switch to Pirelli Elect winter tyres is quite a difference. The winter tyres are also only 20 inch so that helps a bit.

Brazz

First Name
CB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Panamera 4S EH, 2022 Cayenne
Country flag
Well, this is concerning. I just ordered the 21in Goodyears F1 NFO (Porsche). Unfortunately, there aren't many choices available considering the tire shortages. Currently, I have the all-season Continentals and just ordered the available summer tires (the Goodyears) for a sportier profile. The online tire reviews for the Goodyears were better than the Pirelli Blues, which were the only other tires available in 21in. I hope that I have a better experience with the tires. I hate noisy tires.

ericj320

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Like someone said above, this is such a subject issue this thread could go on for days debating the level expected and acceptable. I’d suggest downloading a decibel meter in you phone and do a legit test and report back your findings so that it can be compared to other’s Taycans, or even another vehicle of your own. Just stating it’s unbearable without a frame of reference isn’t terribly helpful, for you or anyone trying to help diagnose or provide assistance.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/decibel-x-db-sound-level-meter/id448155923
Sponsored