arossti

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
Can someone explain the physics of 'noise insulating' glass to me? Either a) it resonates differently and/or is more flexible or b) it has better gasketing so the sound transmission to the edge is reduced or c) it is physically thicker, so absorbs more low-end frequencies. To me it just sounds like marketing BS. Thermal insulation can be a function of a low-e film to keep in heat or something like heat-mirror to reject gains, but acoustic isolation in something that thin with little or no difference in mass? Porsche should publish some kind of reduction of road noise in dB or it is pure marketing.
Sponsored

reggie-g75

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S, 992 C4S, 2020 Panamera GTS ST
Country flag
I have 21 Mission Es with Goodyear Eagles F1 Asy3 and just replaced the rears. Tarmac quality makes a hell of a difference, but it terms of tyre pressure I’m running at 40 psi on 4 corners. I assume higher pressure reduces road noise?

Taycan2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Vogue SE & Mercedes S-Class
Country flag
I found tyre roar is very high with the 21” wheels.

I test drove a RWD with 21” wheels and insulated glass and I was amazed at how loud it was. The rest was absolutely silent, no wind noise, no engine noise, no creaks - it seemed like someone had built the perfect car and then forgot to apply sound deadening to the wheel wells.

You could not easily talk at normal volumes in the car on the motorway (highway) whereas in our Range Rover with 21s you easily can and in our S Class you can whisper on the highway and still be heard!

This is subjective as to whether it is an issue for you, but I can guarantee the road noise is much higher than more luxury oriented cars. Note though that this is becoming more and more common, I test drove a brand new 7 series hybrid and the tyre roar in that was also significant. Probably not as much as the Taycan but definitely much worse than our current cars.

I think it’s due to the huge wheels and tyre choices.

For this reason I initially wanted to get 19” wheels but my wife convinced me on 20s for looks, I also got upgraded speakers so I can drown out the tyre roar!

jam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, '22 Macan S, Taycan 4S CT ordered
Country flag
For this reason I initially wanted to get 19” wheels but my wife convinced me on 20s for looks, I also got upgraded speakers so I can drown out the tyre roar!
Did the 20s work to reduce the noise?

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I found tyre roar is very high with the 21” wheels.

I test drove a RWD with 21” wheels and insulated glass and I was amazed at how loud it was. The rest was absolutely silent, no wind noise, no engine noise, no creaks - it seemed like someone had built the perfect car and then forgot to apply sound deadening to the wheel wells.

You could not easily talk at normal volumes in the car on the motorway (highway) whereas in our Range Rover with 21s you easily can and in our S Class you can whisper on the highway and still be heard!

This is subjective as to whether it is an issue for you, but I can guarantee the road noise is much higher than more luxury oriented cars. Note though that this is becoming more and more common, I test drove a brand new 7 series hybrid and the tyre roar in that was also significant. Probably not as much as the Taycan but definitely much worse than our current cars.

I think it’s due to the huge wheels and tyre choices.

Interesting - completely contrary to my experience to date - super quiet cabin on all surfaces with Pirellis and 21” wheels.

Taycan2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did the 20s work to reduce the noise?
My car isn't ready yet so I won't know for a bit longer. But in a more sporty car like this it isn't a deal breaker for me (even the 21s, although noisier compared to my other vehicles were not unacceptably noisy for a vehicle in the sports / GT class), in a brand new S Class then I would be concerned about it but my expectations are different for this car.

Interesting - completely contrary to my experience to date - super quiet cabin on all surfaces with Pirellis and 21” wheels.
The big variables are tyres, weather and the road surfaces in your region.

Many times I've been on one section of road cruising in near silence only to hit a new section of road surfacing and immediately road noise jumps up significantly. Different regions use completely different road surfacings for many reasons which can cause our mixed experiences.

On the right tyres and road, even 21s can be quiet I'm sure, so maybe for you it is fine. In my part of the UK on whatever tyres the car I loaned were, it was noisy (in comparison to my reference vehicles). When my own car arrives I will take DB readings to compare, I have an actual DB meter at home so it will be interesting.

@OP - Smaller wheels / bigger tyres are pretty much always an improvement though. Bigger sidewall can take the harshness off of tyre roar significantly. And experimenting with tyres in your area is a good idea too (if practical, maybe borrowing a test vehicle with alternative tyres for example).

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
My car isn't ready yet so I won't know for a bit longer. But in a more sporty car like this it isn't a deal breaker for me (even the 21s, although noisier compared to my other vehicles were not unacceptably noisy for a vehicle in the sports / GT class), in a brand new S Class then I would be concerned about it but my expectations are different for this car.

The big variables are tyres, weather and the road surfaces in your region.

Many times I've been on one section of road cruising in near silence only to hit a new section of road surfacing and immediately road noise jumps up significantly. Different regions use completely different road surfacings for many reasons which can cause our mixed experiences.

On the right tyres and road, even 21s can be quiet I'm sure, so maybe for you it is fine. In my part of the UK on whatever tyres the car I loaned were, it was noisy (in comparison to my reference vehicles). When my own car arrives I will take DB readings to compare, I have an actual DB meter at home so it will be interesting.

@OP - Smaller wheels / bigger tyres are pretty much always an improvement though. Bigger sidewall can take the harshness off of tyre roar significantly. And experimenting with tyres in your area is a good idea too (if practical, maybe borrowing a test vehicle with alternative tyres for example).
Believe me we have just about every road surface imaginable across the city of Houston at present so quite a broad sample base I can assure you. Spent half my life in Ireland and UK so familiar with the roads and I am fairly confident thats not the variable here (in respect known surface types) but the tires for sure likely are - shame you didn't take note of the brand when you had the loaner - would be interesting to know (and be aware of!).

Taycan2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Believe me we have just about every road surface imaginable across the city of Houston at present so quite a broad sample base I can assure you. Spent half my life in Ireland and UK so familiar with the roads and I am fairly confident thats not the variable here (in respect known surface types) but the tires for sure likely are - shame you didn't take note of the brand when you had the loaner - would be interesting to know (and be aware of!).
Interesting! Well I just zoomed in on a photo I had of the loaner car... Pirelli P-Zeros!

So I guess it really is all subjective and based on expectations / other reference points, my S Class on 19" wheels is super quiet in particular giving a tougher reference point.

As said before, it is by no means a deal breaker for me on this car, on the 7 series it was. I also hope the 20s will take the edge off.

This was the only negative I had about the car's luxury credentials I should note. Ride is perfection, build quality is possibly the best I have ever seen, almost zero wind noise at motorway speeds, etc. Don't want to give the wrong idea about that.

NoRPM22

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Volcano Grey
Country flag
I got my car a few weeks ago. Has 20" wheels with the Continentals. The car does seem loud on highways and it is all road/tire noise. I'm sure as a sports car this is somewhat expected, but as a luxury car it is not. How much of this could be tires related? Any experience with Continentals? They certainly are the cheapest set of the other options like Pirelli and Michelins.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Can someone explain the physics of 'noise insulating' glass to me? Either a) it resonates differently and/or is more flexible or b) it has better gasketing so the sound transmission to the edge is reduced or c) it is physically thicker, so absorbs more low-end frequencies. To me it just sounds like marketing BS. Thermal insulation can be a function of a low-e film to keep in heat or something like heat-mirror to reject gains, but acoustic isolation in something that thin with little or no difference in mass? Porsche should publish some kind of reduction of road noise in dB or it is pure marketing.
Surely because it is double-paned? That being said I know RSymons and TeslaBjorn have compared the Tesla M-Y pre and post double-pane upgrade with no difference in dB. I've not seen any tests on the Taycan with or without.

csufl

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2019 Panamera, 2017 991.2
Country flag
Yes, the Goodyear F1 does make more noise and worse the ride than the Pirelli. I had a 2021 Taycan 4S with 21" Mission-E on Pirelli loaner (no insulated windows). We thought it was acceptable when we drove it over 5 days. So we ordered the same set up- 21" Mission-E wheels. Unfortunately, when we picked up our 2022 Taycan 4S, it was fitted with Goodyears. As soon as we left the lot, we knew it will be a rough & loud ride for the next 10-15K miles..... Even my wife asked me what's wrong with the car.....Why is it so loud, rough ride and handles worse than she remembers comparing the loaner 4S.... (It's her daily car by the way)

GreenDay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4, Porsche Macan S
Country flag
I'm on 21's with PZeros for my CT4. I do find it noticeable on some highways, mainly as everything else is pretty quiet. Then on other parts of the highway (not necessarily newer) it's much quieter. The highway surface makes a huge difference. Similar applies to roads but less so because of the lower speeds.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Surely because it is double-paned? That being said I know RSymons and TeslaBjorn have compared the Tesla M-Y pre and post double-pane upgrade with no difference in dB. I've not seen any tests on the Taycan with or without.
Porsche thermal and noise insulated glass.
Porsche explained that unlike conventional single-layer safety glasses used in the sides and rear of the car, these glasses have five layers. Three layers of film and then glass again. The middle layer of the three is polyvinyl butyral (PVB) films that have special acoustic properties and hence they can absorb much of the oscillation of the surrounding glass.

rickylarson

First Name
Ricky Larson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
porsche
Country flag
Hey Chalk taycan,
you get noise on the highway from your car. I would like to solve this problem but first, you have to explain your problem.
You have to observe that do you get noise from your engine side or from your tire's sides. If you get noise from your tire's side then it's ok because it proves the best quality of tires to create noise on the highway. But if you get noice from your engine side then you have to take worry about it.
Sponsored