Car misting up

Swiffywagbags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ (on order), Range Rover Evoque (wife's car) Previous car BMW M3 competition
Country flag
I am having major issues with the car steaming up inside, especially in the cold damp weather we are having art the minute here in the UK.

Basically no matter what setting the AC is on (even using the demist) the steam just won't clear

Today has been exceptionally bad for it and to be honest is quite a safety compromise as you can imagine

I have attached photos to try and portray the problem

Never had this issue in any previous car I have owned so not really sure what the issue / resolution is

Has anyone else had / have this issue and Can anyone please advise on a solution?

Thank you
Porsche Taycan Car misting up IMG_7286
Porsche Taycan Car misting up IMG_7287
Porsche Taycan Car misting up IMG_7288
Porsche Taycan Car misting up IMG_7289
Porsche Taycan Car misting up IMG_7290

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Does the AC & heat otherwise warm/cool the car?

You could have low AC fluid levels, this has been a noted problem for a few posters here (cars delivered with low AC fluid).

I live in the PNW so also cold & damp but my Taycan has been exceptional at clearing the mist from the windows.

OP
OP
Swiffywagbags

Swiffywagbags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ (on order), Range Rover Evoque (wife's car) Previous car BMW M3 competition
Country flag

You could have low AC fluid levels, this has been a noted problem for a few posters here (cars delivered with low AC fluid).

I live in the PNW so also cold & damp but my Taycan has been exceptional at clearing the mist from the windows.
I would say it does heat the car but not very quickly. Well not as quickly as my previous ICE cars anyway. That may be the issue then? I have emailed by OPC and asked them to address ASAP as it is clearly a safety issue.

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag

I second this, I had to have my AC refilled shortly after delivery. Thankfully I decided it was faulty on a long drive on a hot day, and didn't have to find out in this weather. AC temp was down as low as possible, as strong as possible and it was like an asthmatic person breathing on me, and the air was warm.

Since the refill it's been fine.

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
I would say it does heat the car but not very quickly. Well not as quickly as my previous ICE cars anyway. That may be the issue then? I have emailed by OPC and asked them to address ASAP as it is clearly a safety issue.
The AC was far less effective than my Golf, so I thought maybe the Porsche is supposed to be more refined and not dry your eyeballs in a matter of seconds, which it is. But it's definitely good enough to demist windows around as quick as most other cars.

OP
OP
Swiffywagbags

Swiffywagbags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I second this, I had to have my AC refilled shortly after delivery. Thankfully I decided it was faulty on a long drive on a hot day, and didn't have to find out in this weather. AC temp was down as low as possible, as strong as possible and it was like an asthmatic person breathing on me, and the air was warm.

Since the refill it's been fine.
Hopefully this is the case and easily resolved by my OPC. Just cant believe low AC fluid would be allowed with all the PDI checks etc.. Scary if that's the case as makes you wonder how thoroughly they check the cars over :oops:

SteveO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacan 4S, Boxster S
Country flag
TLDR - Turn off Eco mode on the A/C system and turn up the fan speed from Auto by a click or two. But be prepared to lose a bit of range.

I agree that the screen mists up more in my Taycan than in any other car I've owned but I believe that's because using the heating system uses so much more juice than it does in an I/C engined car where the heat generated by the engine is "Free" (ie it is just thrown away if you don't need it in the cabin). I have found that to keep the car warm and mist free I need to override the Auto fan speed by tapping the fan speed up button and if exceptionally bad I use the front screen "Max" heat button initially. If you use Range mode you will find the A/C defaults to "Eco Mode" - Eco mode may be great for maximising range but that setting must turn down the ability of the system to dehumidify and heat the air. I suspect it recirculates more inside air than taking in fresh damp cold air from outside.

Of course if you are able to warm up the car whilst it is plugged in at home or work by using a Departure Timer, The energy required to heat and demist your car is drawn from the mains so you don't use what's in the battery. Now that the weather is nasty in the UK that's a big plus!

OP
OP
Swiffywagbags

Swiffywagbags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
TLDR - Turn off Eco mode on the A/C system and turn up the fan speed from Auto by a click or two. But be prepared to lose a bit of range.

I agree that the screen mists up more in my Taycan than in any other car I've owned but I believe that's because using the heating system uses so much more juice than it does in an I/C engined car where the heat generated by the engine is "Free" (ie it is just thrown away if you don't need it in the cabin). I have found that to keep the car warm and mist free I need to override the Auto fan speed by tapping the fan speed up button and if exceptionally bad I use the front screen "Max" heat button initially. If you use Range mode you will find the A/C defaults to "Eco Mode" - Eco mode may be great for maximising range but that setting must turn down the ability of the system to dehumidify and heat the air. I suspect it recirculates more inside air than taking in fresh damp cold air from outside.

Of course if you are able to warm up the car whilst it is plugged in at home or work by using a Departure Timer, The energy required to heat and demist your car is drawn from the mains so you don't use what's in the battery. Now that the weather is nasty in the UK that's a big plus!
Thanks. Its not in Eco mode, although the fan speed is set to Auto as that is what I have done in previous cars. Guess its all a big learning curve this EV game. Just need to get it addressed ASAP as it is quite a safety concern not being able to see out of pretty much all windows

MaKin

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S (2019)
Country flag
I second this. I had a 4S over the weekend and this is a major safety issue. AC Eco was turned off as I remember reading this hear. My wife was trying out all the settings, after about 10 minutes and moving the vents’ “target directions” it slowly went away. And then it happened again. At some point we stopped the car and took a paper towel to “clean” the windshield. Happened again the day after.

Porsche Taycan Car misting up DE308AAE-717A-428E-8D1C-78ED647DC298

OP
OP
Swiffywagbags

Swiffywagbags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I second this. I had a 4S over the weekend and this is a major safety issue. AC Eco was turned off as I remember reading this hear. My wife was trying out all the settings, after about 10 minutes and moving the vents’ “target directions” it slowly went away. And then it happened again. At some point we stopped the car and took a paper towel to “clean” the windshield. Happened again the day after.

DE308AAE-717A-428E-8D1C-78ED647DC298.jpeg
This is very poor on a car of this ilk. I have never known issues like this on previous ICE cars. Wonder if it is EV related and whether it is to due with the lack of engine heat? It needs addressing though as it is very dangerous and very annoying.

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
All my Porsche's have been the same over the years that I've owned- Boxster, 911, Cayenne's and now Taycan all have misted up more than other cars - I think it's a Porsche trait.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Last time I had so much mist in all the windows of an ICE car there was rain water leaking in and it was evaporating when I was turning on heat during driving. Check under the floor mats to see if the carpet is wet especially under the driver and passenger footwell areas and in the trunk.

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
I have/had it as well. It's not how it should be.

BUT...
Clean your windows properly. As in proper proper.
I spent 1+ hour just cleaning the front window, but it reduced the mist considerably.
Use normal glass cleaner, plenty, rub and almost scrub.
Then use IPA. First beer into the body, then Iso-Propynol-Alcohol on the window. (chemically clean alcohol). Then as a finishing toush I used a anti-fog product (google is your friend. Biltema Imskydd funkar fint før oss Scandis).

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I have/had it as well. It's not how it should be.

BUT...
Clean your windows properly. As in proper proper.
I spent 1+ hour just cleaning the front window, but it reduced the mist considerably.
Use normal glass cleaner, plenty, rub and almost scrub.
Then use IPA. First beer into the body, then Iso-Propynol-Alcohol on the window. (chemically clean alcohol). Then as a finishing toush I used a anti-fog product (google is your friend. Biltema Imskydd funkar fint før oss Scandis).
OK, 1 hr cleaning one window... And I thought I was OCD...o_O

Actually, I'm a 'clean freak' when it comes to windows, so I may try this. Seriously though, how many IPA's 'into the body' are we talking here?:rock: