captainlk

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I live in East London where the streets can often get narrow when there's two way traffic and cars parked down both sides. In my Golf GTE I'm often squeezing through little gaps and I'm aware that I won't be able to do that so well in the Taycan.

Do any of you find the car is just a bit impractical to the point you regret buying it?
Sponsored

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
There was another thread on here a few weeks back about some London roads being made too narrow with kerbs and bollards which caused someone to damage their Is certainly a wide car

xy911jk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I live in East London where the streets can often get narrow when there's two way traffic and cars parked down both sides. In my Golf GTE I'm often squeezing through little gaps and I'm aware that I won't be able to do that so well in the Taycan.

Do any of you find the car is just a bit impractical to the point you regret buying it?

I do not even know why London streets related posts catch my attention... but you may be interested in this thread:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/london-roads-width-restriction-rims-damage.6380/

Last edited:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
The car is surprisingly wide. It is actually wider than a 5 Series BMW.

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
It is a similar width to a Chelsea tractor and there are plenty of those!

OP
OP
captainlk

captainlk

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It is a similar width to a Chelsea tractor and there are plenty of those!
yeah I always thought they looked a bit impractical too but their owners seem to manage.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
The difference is that a chelsea tractor can easily drive over things like kerbs. A Taycan can’t
As long as one uses the lift function and approach at a reasonably oblique angle I don't see why not - particularly with the estate car which starts off 20mm higher.
Mind you, when I lived in London I chose not to have a car!

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

Not at all.

Bazza

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne hybrid V6 (Taycan on order)
Country flag

I currently drive a Cayenne while waiting for my Taycan which is 6cm wider (2.3 ins).
If you haven’t yet bought it, you MUST (yes MUST!!) spec it with folding mirrors. In narrow London roads I’m always folding my side mirrors in / out and I’ll probably leave them folded in most of the time in the Taycan on single carriage narrow roads

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I agree with the recommendation for folding mirrors. With my Cayenne- which is 5 cm wider than a Taycan with mirrors out, and 1 cm wider with mirrors folded (on both cars), I need to fold the mirrors to get through my garage doors. Other than that, while driving I've had to fold them on 3 occasions in 2+ years down country lanes and around town (admittedly probably not as tight as some London cases). But I wouldn't like to leave the mirrors extended in parking spaces. I also won't park anywhere that gives someone an excuse for making contact with their door.

I find Surround View a great help when parking and also when needing to get close to kerbs (my Cayenne has 21" wheels). It also helps when getting close to unsupported verges on country lanes, though the biggest risk there tends to be scratching from hedgerows, which I manage by giving way to oncoming traffic more often than i would in a narrower vehicle.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've very rarely found the width a significant problem.

Bazza

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne hybrid V6 (Taycan on order)
Country flag
I agree with the recommendation for folding mirrors. With my Cayenne- which is 5 cm wider than a Taycan with mirrors out, and 1 cm wider with mirrors folded (on both cars), I need to fold the mirrors to get through my garage doors. Other than that, while driving I've had to fold them on 3 occasions in 2+ years down country lanes and around town (admittedly probably not as tight as some London cases). But I wouldn't like to leave the mirrors extended in parking spaces. I also won't park anywhere that gives someone an excuse for making contact with their door.

I find Surround View a great help when parking and also when needing to get close to kerbs (my Cayenne has 21" wheels). It also helps when getting close to unsupported verges on country lanes, though the biggest risk there tends to be scratching from hedgerows, which I manage by giving way to oncoming traffic more often than i would in a narrower vehicle.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've very rarely found the width a significant problem.
I’m interested in your comment about surround view.
I haven’t scratched an alloy for years by being (overly!) cautious when parking, so didn’t bother specking it on Taycan. I have a reversing camera on Cayenne but don’t trust it enough to get very close to curbs.
I’ve heard different opinions about exactly how precise surround view is and how much you can trust it to get within mm’s of the curb without scratching??

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I haven’t scratched an alloy for years by being (overly!) cautious when parking, so didn’t bother specking it on Taycan. I have a reversing camera on Cayenne but don’t trust it enough to get very close to curbs.
I’ve heard different opinions about exactly how precise surround view is and how much you can trust it to get within mm’s of the curb without scratching??
I'm cautious too, so like to stay at least a few cm away from kerbs, and I've found the side view of Surround View good enough for that...but I've not seen it on the Taycan so I'm hoping that's at least as good.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It's is perfect when used correctly. With the side view enabled two blue lines appear denoting the safe kerb distance - so just park to the guidelines.
Sponsored