Car starting charging before the preferred charge time

Marshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S; 2021 Macan S
Country flag
As you can see from the photo, my car is supposed to start charging at 10:45 PM. Even though the car is supposed to charging at 10:45 pm it begins charging at random times. It will then stop and eventually get to the preset charging level of 85% by 6:45 am. The car is above the minimum state of charge. Any thoughts as to why the car starts charging before the preferred charge time? Thanks

Porsche Taycan Car starting charging before the preferred charge time 28C074D1-39CA-497E-A9E8-030C989CB918
Sponsored

Gambler

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN 4
Country flag
Mine does the same and I was wondering why since I got the car back then in April. However, now I don't care, as far as It is ready for me at am.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
As you can see from the photo, my car is supposed to start charging at 10:45 PM. Even though the car is supposed to charging at 10:45 pm it begins charging at random times. It will then stop and eventually get to the preset charging level of 85% by 6:45 am. The car is above the minimum state of charge. Any thoughts as to why the car starts charging before the preferred charge time? Thanks

28C074D1-39CA-497E-A9E8-030C989CB918.jpeg
Set the departure time to match the preferred charging window.

Check you don't have Direct Charge enabled as this will ignore profiles and timers and start charging straight away.

Check you don't have conflicting profiles and timers enabled.

The car calculates how long it needs to charge based on state of charge, temp, available supply to be ready by your selected departure time. Therefore the charging cycle is variable within the parameters you set. It won't start charging straight away unless it needs to.

OP
OP

Marshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Set the departure time to match the preferred charging window.

Check you don't have Direct Charge enabled as this will ignore profiles and timers and start charging straight away.

Check you don't have conflicting profiles and timers enabled.

The car calculates how long it needs to charge based on state of charge, temp, available supply to be ready by your selected departure time. Therefore the charging cycle is variable within the parameters you set. It won't start charging straight away unless it needs to.
No direct charging and no other profiles.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
No direct charging and no other profiles.
What EVSE do you have PMCC, PMC+, other?

Random thought, is the departure timer not set to 24HR (I can't find where you choose 24HR or not) - mine is set to 24HR.

Nuclear option would be to delete all timers and profiles then start over.

Last edited:

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Minimum charge is actually maximum charge. Set that to your desired SOC.

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
Solution for me was no profile, timer only. Timer set to end of low rates (6AM), SOC set to 80%. Works every time. Starts when it thinks it needs to to be at 80% at 6AM.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Minimum charge is the percent it will charge to when plugged in regardless of timers. Let's say he comes home with low SOC, say 10%, the car will charge up to the programmed minimum level (35%) then follow the set timer.

Bella

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4 CT, Prius
Country flag
Minimum charge is the percent it will charge to when plugged in regardless of timers. Let's say he comes home with low SOC, say 10%, the car will charge up to the programmed minimum level (35%) then follow the set timer.
Paul Steinbruner on u tube has the best Video explaining all of this. It’s called, ”How to Setup and use the Mobile Charger Connect for a Porsche Taycan”. Actually I have found all of his Videos very helpful.

OP
OP

Marshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am aware on how to set up profiles. The problem is the car disregards the profiles. I have wiped out all existing profiles, reset the charging unit all to no
avail. There is also no consistency as to when the car will stop and start charging. It generally comes on two or three hours before the preferred start time, charges for about a half hour and then stops. Then starts again some time during the preferred charge time. Again it does not make sense.

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I am aware on how to set up profiles. The problem is the car disregards the profiles. I have wiped out all existing profiles, reset the charging unit all to no
avail. There is also no consistency as to when the car will stop and start charging. It generally comes on two or three hours before the preferred start time, charges for about a half hour and then stops. Then starts again some time during the preferred charge time. Again it does not make sense.
I don't think their software is very accurate. I have a profile set similar to yours, 85% by 6:45am. My car has never charged more than to 84%. Yesterday it didn't stop, kept going past 84% and 6:45am. I'll monitor it to see if it snaps back to the program, but seems like it starts on time for the proscribed max and time, it may just be that until there is a software update, I'll have to check the charge at 6:45 each day and possibly manually stop it.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Which brand / model of charger are you using?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Disable all profiles and see what happens.
Sponsored