Car stuck at port for four weeks. Porsche has no info. Speculate on reason?

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 Turbo S, 2021 TTS (June 11)
Country flag
My 2021 TTS has been sitting at the San Diego shipping port for around four weeks. Ultimate destination is a local dealer in San Diego.

There are plenty of other Porsches in the same shipment that have already made their way to the dealer weeks ago, so it doesn't appear to be customs-related. I know TPMM was causing a port hold for some people but, even then, the delay was only a week to ten days max in the reports I've read. Can you think of any reason why a car would be held at the port for four weeks?

VIN is not in the affected range for the latest Taycan recall so I doubt it's a stop-sale issue.

Dealer says Porsche has given them no updates or ETAs on this vehicle.
Sponsored

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
My 2021 TTS has been sitting at the San Diego shipping port for around four weeks. Ultimate destination is a local dealer in San Diego.

There are plenty of other Porsches in the same shipment that have already made their way to the dealer weeks ago, so it doesn't appear to be customs-related. I know TPMM was causing a port hold for some people but, even then, the delay was only a week to ten days max in the reports I've read. Can you think of any reason why a car would be held at the port for four weeks?

VIN is not in the affected range for the latest Taycan recall so I doubt it's a stop-sale issue.

I don't have an answer for you but I found this thread from a couple months ago which had similar delays:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/delayed-at-the-port-for-a-month.4084/

On a similar note, in the recall PDF it says the VINs are not sequential, so how do you know your VIN is not affected? My car finished production on 4/27 which falls within the date range so now I'm curious if mine is affected...

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
Based on the experience with the delivery of my car there are Porsche internal codes which describe the vehicle's status once it has entered port. Even though my salesman had been given no specific updates on the timeline for delivery he was able to deduce some information from those codes.

For example, and I'm not suggesting this is what is happening with your car, there is a code that indicates that the car has been damaged in transport. He was able to reassure me that the delay I was experiencing (which only turned out to be a couple of days) was not due to shipping damage.

Maybe your sales associate could investigate and provide you with the status code. It might give you a clue as to why your car is being held for so long. I'm sure it must be very frustrating. Good luck.

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag

I thought you said you were cancelling your order"
"Good call. I'm pulling the plug on my upcoming delivery as well. Porsche as a company seems to have "jumped the shark." I invested a lot of time and energy into learning about EVs and the Taycan in particular but, at the end of the day, buying/leasing a Taycan is clearly a dead end. It's a great car in theory, but realistically is totally unsafe for production use."

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
With my recent delivery (5/29) here's my build schedule and what my dealer GM told me. Chip shortage involves electrically adjustable steering columns and 14-way seats. My car has both of those so I guess they had the necessary components ready or shipped to factory around my build time.

- Ordered 4/1
- Produced week of 4/26
- Emden depart 5/7 - JAX arrival 5/24 (late 5/23?)
- Dealer arrival 5/26

4 weeks is excessive. Maybe your car had damage that needs to be rectified. Years ago a friend ordered a E46 M3 and the front bumper was damaged in transit. Body shop at the port repaired it. It was delayed beyond a reasonable time frame.

OP
OP
festus_mcBitcoin

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I thought you said you were cancelling your order"
"Good call. I'm pulling the plug on my upcoming delivery as well. Porsche as a company seems to have "jumped the shark." I invested a lot of time and energy into learning about EVs and the Taycan in particular but, at the end of the day, buying/leasing a Taycan is clearly a dead end. It's a great car in theory, but realistically is totally unsafe for production use."
That hasn't changed -- well, I'm 95+% certain of cancellation, unless there's some huge groundbreaking development to change my mind. I'm still of the opinion that the car isn't ready for production use.

Knowing the status (and reason) for this delay, however, will determine whether it'll be an easy "no questions asked" cancellation or if I'll have to fiddle about with management for several weeks to get my deposit back. Thus the reason for my post.

I have it on good authority that because I was sold two unnecessary charging-related options, one of which ( 19.2kw charging) disables Plug and Charge, the cancellation process should be smooth. Without getting into all the details, processing the cancellation on easy mode requires delivery plus a confirmation that the dealer is unwilling/unable to fix the open issue(s) in a reasonable time prior to sale. So needless to say, I'm anxiously awaiting delivery so I can be on my way.

Now, cancellation on hard mode is a bit more challenging since it requires that the dealer unload the defective Taycan on some other unsuspecting shmuck before my deposit is returned. I've been told that's a highly unlikely scenario.

If the cancellation process is anything other than easy, I'll post an update and provide relevant suggestions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
festus_mcBitcoin

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
On a similar note, in the recall PDF it says the VINs are not sequential, so how do you know your VIN is not affected?
Yeah, mine was finished on 4/30/21, just inside the April 2021 range for the possible recall.

The "not sequential" bit caught my eye too. Not sure how to interpret that. Seems like if the VINS are random, then the start and end VINS that are supposed to act as boundaries for the recall period would be meaningless.

Begin : WP0AA2Y10MSA13905
End : WP0AA2Y12MSA16448

So they both begin with WP0AA2Y1, whereas my VIN starts with WP0AC2Y1. Not sure if that's indicates a different batch or not...

Last edited:
OP
OP
festus_mcBitcoin

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Based on the experience with the delivery of my car there are Porsche internal codes which describe the vehicle's status once it has entered port. Even though my salesman had been given no specific updates on the timeline for delivery he was able to deduce some information from those codes.

For example, and I'm not suggesting this is what is happening with your car, there is a code that indicates that the car has been damaged in transport. He was able to reassure me that the delay I was experiencing (which only turned out to be a couple of days) was not due to shipping damage.

Maybe your sales associate could investigate and provide you with the status code. It might give you a clue as to why your car is being held for so long. I'm sure it must be very frustrating. Good luck.
Good call. I'll ask sales rep for the status codes.

OP
OP
festus_mcBitcoin

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
4 weeks is excessive. Maybe your car had damage that needs to be rectified.
Interesting. I'll keep that in mind. Another post indicates that there might be a status code for that.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Yeah, mine was finished on 4/30/21, just inside the April 2021 range for the possible recall.

The "not sequential" bit caught my eye too. Not sure how to interpret that. Seems like if the VINS are random, then the start and end VINS that are supposed to act as boundaries for the recall period would be meaningless.

Begin : WP0AA2Y10MSA13905
End : WP0AA2Y12MSA16448

So they both begin with WP0AA2Y10MSA, whereas my VIN starts with WP0AC2Y13MSA. Not sure if that's indicates a different batch or not...
Actually, if you look again, the end starts with "WP0AA2Y12MSA", which is different.

Knowing the status (and reason) for this delay, however, will determine whether it'll be an easy "no questions asked" cancellation or if I'll have to fiddle about with management for several weeks to get my deposit back. Thus the reason for my post.

I have it on good authority that because I was sold two unnecessary charging-related options, one of which (95kwh charging) disables Plug and Charge, the cancellation process should be smooth. Without getting into all the details, processing the cancellation on easy mode requires delivery plus a confirmation that the dealer is unwilling/unable to fix the open issue(s) in a reasonable time prior to sale. So needless to say, I'm anxiously awaiting delivery so I can be on my way.

Now, cancellation on hard mode is a bit more challenging since it requires that the dealer unload the defective Taycan on some other unsuspecting shmuck before my deposit is returned. I've been told that's a highly unlikely scenario.

If the cancellation process is anything other than easy, I'll post an update and provide relevant suggestions.
My dealer told me I could cancel within 48 hours of delivery to the dealer (ie before I actually went and drove the car off the lot) and I would get my deposit back. He made it sound easy. Is this not the case for you?

OP
OP
festus_mcBitcoin

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Actually, if you look again, the end starts with "WP0AA2Y12MSA", which is different.
Sorry, I pressed Post too soon. Tried to correct via Edit but was too late.

My dealer told me I could cancel within 48 hours of delivery to the dealer (ie before I actually went and drove the car off the lot) and I would get my deposit back. He made it sound easy. Is this not the case for you?
Maybe it's a dealer specific thing. For a lot of reasons, if I ever get back on the Porsche bandwagon, I won't be using the same dealer.

In the case of this particular dealer, I'm told that if I back out of the order, they will give me my deposit back. But only after they unload it on some other customer. That's one of the reasons I went for a rather neutral color with fairly standard options -- easier for the salesman to unload if necessary.

A car that's defective from day one though (e.g. damaged in transit, no Plug and Charge, etc.) is much easier. No need to wait for another buyer. Just get deposit back and it becomes the dealer's problem.

At the time I placed my order, the Taycan seemed like a sure thing. That was before I was aware of the car randomly shutting down while driving, multi-day updates that brick the car, 12V battery failures, etc. etc. Had I done even a modicum of research on this forum prior to pulling the trigger, I wouldn't be in this situation. No one to blame but myself for that one. But after two decades of buying 911s with zero issues, it just never occurred to me that Porsche would knowingly release a car with so many bugs. Won't make that mistake again. Live and learn.

Last edited:

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Sorry, I pressed Post too soon. Tried to correct via Edit but was too late.

Maybe it's a dealer specific thing. For a lot of reasons, if I ever get back on the Porsche bandwagon, I won't be using the same dealer.

In the case of this particular dealer, I'm told that if I back out of the order, they will give me my deposit back. But only after they unload it on some other customer. That's one of the reasons I went for a rather neutral color with fairly standard options -- easier for the salesman to unload if necessary.

A car that's defective from day one though (e.g. damaged in transit, no Plug and Charge, etc.) is much easier. No need to wait for another buyer. Just get deposit back and it becomes the dealer's problem.

At the time I placed my order, the Taycan seemed like a sure thing. That was before I was aware of the car randomly shutting down while driving, multi-day updates that brick the car, 12V battery failures, etc. etc. Had I done even a modicum of research on this forum prior to pulling the trigger, I wouldn't be in this situation. No one to blame but myself for that one. But after two decades of buying 911s with zero issues, it just never occurred to me that Porsche would knowingly release a car with so many bugs. Won't make that mistake again. Live and learn.
I'm in a similar boat, except I'm deciding to press forward and trust that these sorts of dealbreaking issues will be fixed. I also hedged some by going with a lease instead of buying. After doing the math, I realized that a 3-year lease is almost the same as or possibly even better than buying and selling within 3 years, and I don't see myself keeping this first gen Taycan long term given the numerous issues that Porsche has had with their first EV, potential for tech improvements in future generations, etc. As others have noted on this forum, Porsche seems to be where Tesla was with the early Model S: dealing with some growing pains when it comes to the electrical aspects of the vehicle. My 2018 Model S, by comparison, has been nearly perfect. I spent $0 on maintenance over my 3 year lease other than patching a couple flat tires.

I hope to see Porsche make the same improvements as their maturity with EV production grows. But for now, I'm sticking with the Taycan lease and very likely cancelling my Model S refresh order due to Tesla's delays/lack of delivery info.

OP
OP
festus_mcBitcoin

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm in a similar boat, except I'm deciding to press forward and trust that these sorts of dealbreaking issues will be fixed.
That's a totally respectable position to take. The logic makes sense.

I guess my position on the Taycan is kind of like my position on the vaccine. You can get it and most likely will be perfectly fine, but given that it was rushed to market with insufficient testing and quality control, why not stand back and let the early adopters take the hit instead? Lower risk and higher (albeit somewhat delayed) reward. Then, when and if the kinks are worked out, enthusiastically get on board.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I'm in a similar boat, except I'm deciding to press forward and trust that these sorts of dealbreaking issues will be fixed. I also hedged some by going with a lease instead of buying. After doing the math, I realized that a 3-year lease is almost the same as or possibly even better than buying and selling within 3 years,
I did teh maths too & agree it’s nearly a wash after three years between leasing & buying. I did the buy thing though just to give me a little more flexibility in case I decided to bail even earlier.

Though I will admit, I was offered more in trade for my M3 after thee years than I expected...

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I did teh maths too & agree it’s nearly a wash after three years between leasing & buying. I did the buy thing though just to give me a little more flexibility in case I decided to bail even earlier.

Though I will admit, I was offered more in trade for my M3 after thee years than I expected...
I got a quote for my Model S to see if I could come out ahead by buying out my lease for the residual and then selling to a 3rd party, but surprisingly the quotes came in pretty low so in the end I'm just gonna give my car back to Tesla :(
Sponsored