Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW X3 35d, BMW 135i
Country flag
Does anyone else have this problem?

If I switch the car off, get out of the car, leave the keys inside the drivers door, and close the door, there car turns back on.

Surely the car should be checking for occupancy via a pressure sensor in the driver’s seat?
Sponsored

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot

If I switch the car off, get out of the car, leave the keys inside the drivers door, and close the door, there car turns back on.

Surely the car should be checking for occupancy via a pressure sensor in the driver’s seat?
There's no sensor in the seat as far as I know.
It detects the key so the car knows you're in.
It's only in the passenger seat, you know, for passenger display and disable airbag.
It makes sense.

OP
OP
Neighs

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Dumb cost saving.

Really annoying!

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag

you shouldn't leave the keys in range of the car

OP
OP
Neighs

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Country flag
you shouldn't leave the keys in range of the car
That’s a ridiculous justification.

The car should NOT self turn on unless there is a person in the drivers seat, period.

On the other hand, there are plenty of reasons why I might wish to leave the keys safely in the car on private property, rather than carrying them while I might lose them, say, during sports.

Having to put both my wife’s and my keys on the car wheels just so that I can close the door. Where one of the keys might be forgotten or someone takes them is an utterly unhelpful design oversight.

But to be honest there are loads of usability fails in this cars design.

i still love how it drives though.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
That’s a ridiculous justification.

The car should NOT self turn on unless there is a person in the drivers seat, period.
I agree on this point

On the other hand, there are plenty of reasons why I might wish to leave the keys safely in the car on private property, rather than carrying them while I might lose them, say, during sports.
you shouldn't leave the key within range of the car because the key "talks" to the car and leaving it within range of the car can cause issues. like the car turning on unexpectedly

B_TaycanTurbo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yes, had a few times during a recent road trip that the car turned back on unexpectedly. We parked and I turned off the car with the power button on the dash. Then I got out of the car with a key in my pocket while my wife had the second key with her in the passenger seat. She then got out of the car a few moments later and I tried to lock the car by pushing the button on the key. It wouldn't lock and I walked back up to the driver's door and saw the car had already turned itself back on and I had to get back into the car to turn it off and then the lock button on the key fob would work to lock the car.

OP
OP
Neighs

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, had a few times during a recent road trip that the car turned back on unexpectedly. We parked and I turned off the car with the power button on the dash. Then I got out of the car with a key in my pocket while my wife had the second key with her in the passenger seat. She then got out of the car a few moments later and I tried to lock the car by pushing the button on the key. It wouldn't lock and I walked back up to the driver's door and saw the car had already turned itself back on and I had to get back into the car to turn it off and then the lock button on the key fob would work to lock the car.
My point exactly!

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
on other threads it is being said that people do not turn their car off when exiting and they turn it off by locking the car. is it possible that the car is being confused by the presence of two keys?

OP
OP
Neighs

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Country flag
on other threads it is being said that people do not turn their car off when exiting and they turn it off by locking the car. is it possible that the car is being confused by the presence of two keys?
Possibly, though technically, there is no reason why this should be.

I’m pretty sure the car knows exactly where the key is, though it’s behaviour seems to completely ignore this. For sure, when the key is in the car door and it’s slightly open, it won’t let you turn on the car complaining key not present.

Elements of this car are like the Sirius Cybernetics Nutramatic Drink Dispenser.

Last edited:

Njsimons13

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (on order), Taycan 4s, Q8, SQ5
Country flag
That’s how I’ve been turning mine off mostly I just step out the car hit the lock button on the door or keyfob car shuts down.

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
When I'm charging at a fast charger and I sit in the car it'll turn itself off after 30 minutes. It doesn't turn itself on at all unless I turn it on myself. So the described behavior is odd.

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Definitely odd.

once I switch off my car (3 second press). If I leave the keys in the car or not. Exit and re-enter (although not locking the car) it needs me to press the power button to start

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
We are having this exact problem. I tried a few experiments leaving the second key in the car while I got out after shutting the dash down but can not recreate the problem. Has anyone found a cause or cure for this problen?

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
There's a sensor in the seat, so when you get in, the car goes on automatically and you don't have to press start.
Sponsored