Car went into neutral then park spontaneously - deja vu all over again

_Brian_

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster GTS 4.0, Audi S5 & Taycan 4s (sold)
Country flag
I can add to this experience base. My 22 4S was stopped on an incline waiting for a light the the brake was in the "Hold" position. After a few minutes of waiting, the car made a slight "thunk" and the car shifted into Park. I immediately switched back to "Drive" and made sure that car didn't go back into "Hold". The car never did this before, but I have rarely had the car in the "Hold" position. The build was 10/21 with a delivery 12/21 and all software updates available installed.

Other than avoiding the "Hold" position for the brake whenever possible, I plan to wait for any formal repair/software update until there is a better understanding of what is causing this issue.
Sponsored

jcg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' BMW X5, 22' Taycan GTS
Country flag
I hope everyone has been reporting this to NHTSA (only 11 reported so far). This is a safety issue and has been happening for at least 4 months now. On Porsches own notice they say it is only happening on a “small number of vehicles”. Clearly they are not understanding the impact this issue is having on their customers. And clearly because of this they are not responding accordingly.

BTW, my car shifted into Park yesturday…
Yes plan on reporting

Jackson

First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 640d, CT4
Country flag
Happened to me once at low speed. Wasn't cool.

22gts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 taycan gts
Country flag
Happened to me again today.
First time was a week ago, going about 2mph into a parking spot.
Today I was already stopped at a light and it went into park.

I had an appointment with the dealer scheduled for tomorow, but I cancelled it this morning ( before today's park incident). The TSB infers that I would be obligated to leVe my car at the dealer indefinitly until there is a fix. I'm enjoying my brand new car too much to give it up for a ,most likely, base loaner. Especially before I even make my first payment. I'll wait it out until there is a fix, or the problem becomes to unbearable to deal with.

Nhtsa complaint filed, number 11464895

IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
First time was a week ago, going about 2mph into a parking spot.
Well that shoots my theory that this is a problem when the car "HOLDS" at a light. I had been not letting my car go into hold by slightly inching forward when waiting for a light, but I guess that won't solve the problem. My Taycan RWD hasn't experienced the problem - yet.

And if I do, no way am I taking it to a dealer where it will sit for who knows how long while we wait for Porsche to address.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Well that shoots my theory that this is a problem when the car "HOLDS" at a light. I had been not letting my car go into hold by slightly inching forward when waiting for a light, but I guess that won't solve the problem. My Taycan RWD hasn't experienced the problem - yet.

And if I do, no way am I taking it to a dealer where it will sit for who knows how long while we wait for Porsche to address.
Yes, the hold feature isn't a cause of this issue because I use it 99% of the time, and it only went to park once on the first week we have it, but hasn't since. We have it for almost 2 months now.

Eleven2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD, 2021 Macan S
Country flag
Happened to me today. 22 RWD with 3000 Miles on it. First time I was in stop and go traffic, as I let off the brake the car went into N. Second time after a few lights, car was in hold. Noticed the car did not go when light turned green when giving power. It was at P.

Bennie

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST RWD, MINI Cooper S, Harley Davidson FLDE
Country flag
Collected last Monday my new Taycan ST RWD car at the dealer in the Netherlands and yesterday I had (already) the first jump into N (or P, not sur). I drove only 288 kilometers and have the 11 kWh charger. I’ll inform my dealer and will attach the TSB that Ambroos posted.

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10210797-0001.pdf

affecting only MY22?

Taycan: Transmission Shifts to Park or Neutral at Stop or ≤ 3 mph

Operator reports transmission shifts from Drive (D) or Reverse (R) to Neutral (N) or Park (P) under the following conditions:

• Vehicle comes to a complete stop at 0 mph; transmission engaged in Drive or Reverse; vehicle shifts to Park without operator moving the transmission lever. (D/R -> P)

• As vehicle slows down to speeds between 0 – 5 km/h (3.1 mph); transmission engaged in Drive or Reverse; vehicle shifts to Neutral (N) without operator moving the transmission lever. (D/R -> N) NOTE: issue does not occur at speeds in excess of 5 km/h (3.1 mph)

MartyMeatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10210797-0001.pdf

affecting only MY22?

Taycan: Transmission Shifts to Park or Neutral at Stop or ≤ 3 mph

Operator reports transmission shifts from Drive (D) or Reverse (R) to Neutral (N) or Park (P) under the following conditions:

• Vehicle comes to a complete stop at 0 mph; transmission engaged in Drive or Reverse; vehicle shifts to Park without operator moving the transmission lever. (D/R -> P)

• As vehicle slows down to speeds between 0 – 5 km/h (3.1 mph); transmission engaged in Drive or Reverse; vehicle shifts to Neutral (N) without operator moving the transmission lever. (D/R -> N) NOTE: issue does not occur at speeds in excess of 5 km/h (3.1 mph)
Interesting. Says it has something to do with on-board charger. The charger must be telling the computer that the charging cable has been plugged in so the computer takes the car out of gear since you can't put the car in gear if the charging cable is inserted.

taycan_mbt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Took my MY22 4S to service today after the car switching from D to P while waiting at red light. They said they found the error (called ATI?) and fixed it by upgrading the software. Is there really a fix now? The description given to me is below. Hope it works!

Porsche Taycan Car went into neutral then park spontaneously - deja vu all over again Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 5.11.47 PM

IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
Took my MY22 4S to service today after the car switching from D to P while waiting at red light. They said they found the error (called ATI?) and fixed it by upgrading the software. Is there really a fix now? The description given to me is below. Hope it works!

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 5.11.47 PM.png
is this really the issue, and it can be fixed by a software update?? Is there a way to find out what software that was updated and the version of the update?