Cariad: In 2019, Volkswagen decided to create a car OS—how’s that going? - Article & 2 videos

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The CEO of CARIAD, VW's software arm, tells Ars what's been going on at work:
In 2019, Volkswagen Group ... set up a new division and moved the entire VW Group's software development under that roof, with a mandate to create a new unified automotive operating system for future VW Group EVs.
In fact, the division had to work on three different systems simultaneously. Called E3 for end-to-end architecture, E3 1.1 would be the software to run on VW Group's MEB platform for mass-market EVs. Cars using this software are now on the road, including the VW ID.4, Audi Q4 e-tron, and of course, everyone's favorite, ID. Buzz. E3 1.2 is destined for more upmarket EVs from Audi and Porsche, using the upcoming PPE platform. And that unified OS, called E3 2.0, would show up mid-decade in a new, unified platform across the entire VW Group.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/0...software-division/?comments=1&comments-page=1

Cariad: Building a new automotive ecosystem:

Cariad: One tech platform for the NEW AUTO:
Sponsored

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Laudable initiative, and good ideas. A bit light on tech aspects, but I guess that’s expected from that type of presentation. I wish them success and good luck as they’ll go through the painful lessons of discovering just how much of that de-decentralization is enough to retain the level of safety and robustness expected from a car. And as they talked about “open” and “developers invited”, I could only think of the field days that security researchers (and hopefully only them) will have with this new platform and the “software defined vehicle”.