johnschlemmer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
I’ve read some stories about it taking a long time to connect to Apple CarPlay when you turn the car on, connectivity issues in general (not connecting at all), and everything in between. Does anyone with a MY22 not have these problems, or does it still happen all the time? I love that the car has CarPlay support, but if it takes a couple minutes to connect (or not connect at all) it would drive me crazy. I currently have a Tesla and have gotten used to immediate access to music and maps all the time, so it’s making me rethink my GTS order before it freezes.
Sponsored

Last edited:

yama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Non Porsche
Country flag
I’ve had my MY22 for a week now and CarPlay has been flawless. Connects every time within a few seconds.

OP
OP

johnschlemmer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
I’ve had my MY22 for a week now and CarPlay has been flawless. Connects every time within a few seconds.
That’s very reassuring! Do you have the latest iPhone and iOS 15? Could this possibly be finally fixed for MY22 cars?

optik382

First Name
Fletcher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bolt, 2023 XC90 PHEV, 2022 Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I have a MY22. Wireless CarPlay was a disaster, made the entire car’s interface (even outside of CarPlay) stutter and lag, and even playing music from Spotify etc. was hit or miss. *Wired* CarPlay works just as well as on any other car I’ve used. That is, 95% of the time all goes well, and occasionally you need to unplug and plug back in.

misterfring

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne
Country flag
Agreed. Had the car since early December and very few issues connecting wirelessly. Once or twice I recall it not connecting and having to turnoff Bluetooth and reconnect, but very rare.

it’s not nearly as bad as my MY20 Cayenne. That works wirelessly right away about 30% of the time. But in many instances it takes 30 seconds or more to connect. And other times it doesn’t at all.

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
That’s very reassuring! Do you have the latest iPhone and iOS 15? Could this possibly be finally fixed for MY22 cars?
I have a MY22 CT4 and connect wirelessly(iPhone 12 with IOS 15) and its not perfect. In general it connects within 15 seconds but every once in a while it does not connect up properly. I can usually play with it a little bit and it connects. It certainly doesn't make me rethink my decision to purchase the car.

Last edited:

OP
OP

johnschlemmer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
So we have some folks that say it works quickly and (mostly) reliable and some that say it’s an absolute disaster… how can it be this inconsistent between cars??

Bertibasset

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I’ve read some stories about it taking a long time to connect to Apple CarPlay when you turn the car on, connectivity issues in general (not connecting at all), and everything in between. Does anyone with a MY22 not have these problems, or does it still happen all the time? I love that the car has CarPlay support, but if it takes a couple minutes to connect (or not connect at all) it would drive me crazy. I currently have a Tesla and have gotten used to immediate access to music and maps all the time, so it’s making me rethink my GTS order before it freezes.
One thing for sure the Taycan is a well built car however when it comes to electronics the tech is absolutely rubbish and is a million miles behind Tesla in that department.
I know a number of existing Taycan owners going back to Tesla for this reason. You need to decided on what’s more important well built car that look stunning and drives well. But it will never compete with the electronics of a Tesla

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
Carplay is hit and miss, but to go back to a Tesla because of this and other tech shortcomings is laughable. Like divorcing your wife because she can’t work the TV remote and marrying a fat ugly spotty woman who’s pants fall down all the time just because she can……..

scav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo (2022)
Country flag
MY2022, iPhone 13 Pro. Never experienced any issues with CarPlay what so ever. Though, admittedly I don’t use it all that much. It’s just too glossy to fit the overall esthetics of one of the best looking cars ever built (imho).

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Wireless CarPlay is flawless on my MY22, connects in seconds. CarPlay is now full screen versus 2/3rd of screen on MY21 as far as I remember it

porcha

First Name
H.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
When it works it is great. That said - ever since I started using the My Porsche App it has had issues. Not sure if related - but that was the only change. Have had car 2 month and connected well 95% of the time up until recently. Not sure if it is a server issue or an issue with my car’s comms. FWIW - not sure what in the car links Bluetooth and LTE - but they both go down at same time.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I have a Taycan and also a Tesla model Y. Both have quirks in the entertainment system.

The Tesla won’t answer voice commands often due to poor cell service. Plus the new user interface is a disaster (example: seat heaters are no longer on the toolbar but in a sub menu, the room on the toolbar is now filled with a video game). I’m using an Amazon Echo Auto which gives me access to my iPhone 12’s streaming music and is more reliable.

CarPlay in the Taycan generally works though I did lose it for a day. Completely random and have no idea why this happened. But its nice to have Waze on screen which I can’t get in my Tesla. I have the same access to my iPhone music as I have on my Y but with CarPlay I can see my ‘stations’ on screen.

At the end it the day, these are two different cars. The Taycan is a drivers car: if you enjoy driving, you’ll love the Taycan. If you need to make a long distance trip, the Tesla has more room for luggage. So far, the range seems to be almost the same between my Y and the Taycan.
Sponsored