CarPlay in MY22 any better?

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don't have an apple phone but am using apple music via PCM during the free trial period. Definitely a slight delay on start up (maybe a few seconds), noticeable but not bothersome.
Sponsored

astrojeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, VW ID.4, 2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
MY 22 4S. My CarPlay works flawlessly wirelessly. Apple iPhone 13 pro. In my VW ID.4 it did work initially, but now only wired. Spotify needs to connect with the internet to download music, so I have to turn off Wi-Fi to force the phone to use the cell service in the VW. It works fine in the Taycan however. Seems like a lot of different manufacturers have issues. I do like the CarPlay feature which my Tesla did not have.

MohCT4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
MY22 4CT, wireless CarPlay connects within a few seconds. Haven’t had any issues thus far. A little lag on wireless vs wired but that’s to be expected.

OP
OP

johnschlemmer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
One last question, for those that have it work really well, did you get the Technology package with the passenger display? One theory is that the PCM is powered by a slow chip, and having a second display makes it slower. Anybody that has answered that it works really well for them (which is actually quite a few), do you have that passenger screen?

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
One last question, for those that have it work really well, did you get the Technology package with the passenger display? One theory is that the PCM is powered by a slow chip, and having a second display makes it slower. Anybody that has answered that it works really well for them (which is actually quite a few), do you have that passenger screen?
I have a 2020 4S with Tech Package and Passenger Display. CarPlay works fine for me.

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
21 CT4 here, delivered in December - have been impressed with the wireless CarPlay connection consistency and speed. It performs *much* better than the wired CarPlay on my ‘18 Panamera.

I’ve noticed that if I leave the car for <5 minutes without fully locking it (meaning the car doesn’t completely shut off), the connectivity with CarPlay often becomes an issue - this happens with both the Taycan and Panamera. I’ve also seen the black screen once but streaming/audio still works.

If you’re having consistent issues I’d bring it up with dealer. This is table stakes technology in 2022 and should work as intended 99% of the time.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Have the passenger ‘PAX’ screen and CarPlay works perfectly and fast and when displayed in full screen on both screens - that whole theory re speed/capability of the PCM chip(s) is simply bogus.

EDIT: forgot to mention I am using a wireless connection.

Last edited:

USSWEDE

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 2022
Country flag
I’ve read some stories about it taking a long time to connect to Apple CarPlay when you turn the car on, connectivity issues in general (not connecting at all), and everything in between. Does anyone with a MY22 not have these problems, or does it still happen all the time? I love that the car has CarPlay support, but if it takes a couple minutes to connect (or not connect at all) it would drive me crazy. I currently have a Tesla and have gotten used to immediate access to music and maps all the time, so it’s making me rethink my GTS order before it freezes.
I have a model year '22 Cross Turismo and the Car Play connectivity is poor going wireless. It takes me 3 mins to get it activated - best thing is to not touch anything after pressing the 'car play' icon which is hidden in the form of a 'play button' to the far right. Then wait, and wait. No point in trying to get entertainment for a short trip...but I hear some have no issues and I and a few others still have. It feels like I got the CPU off the production line of a Volkswagen...

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
I was thinking about constantly plugging an old android phone in the car. Mainly to have Waze support. (and maybe root it to have youtube support)
But if I understand other comments well, this means I will not be able to connect my other phone (the one I use as my personal phone) cannot connect to the car via bluetooth to make phone calls.
Is that correct ?

If that is correct, it also means that if you have to phones (like mine and my wife's) that if my phone is connected with carplay or android auto, my wife can not receive calls via bluetooth via the car's speaker system ?

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ve read some stories about it taking a long time to connect to Apple CarPlay when you turn the car on, connectivity issues in general (not connecting at all), and everything in between. Does anyone with a MY22 not have these problems, or does it still happen all the time? I love that the car has CarPlay support, but if it takes a couple minutes to connect (or not connect at all) it would drive me crazy. I currently have a Tesla and have gotten used to immediate access to music and maps all the time, so it’s making me rethink my GTS order before it freezes.
You could create a poll to see what the overall experience is. I’ve had the car (MY22) a couple of weeks and it connects to the car automatically maybe 8/10 times. The other times it will connect if I touch the devices icon and connect manually. Only once did it not connect but switching my phone on and off fixed it. iPhone 12 Pro Max with 15.2 software.

Last edited:

356B

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
9114s
MY21. Wireless Carplay is very dependable. Not too much time to boot up. Iphone 12 Pro Max, IOS 15

NoRPM22

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Volcano Grey
Country flag
I’ve had my MY22 for a week now and CarPlay has been flawless. Connects every time within a few seconds.
Ill second this. I did car play on my wife's iPhone and Android auto on mine. Both worked flawlessly and immediately after connecting. I connected using the cable. Don't know the blue tooth reliability yet. But Bluetooth can be function of that technology's handshake reliability.

RallyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT
Country flag
I have passenger screen & HUD (love them). No issues with CarPLay and no lag. Getting Apple Music to work is another issue, sadly and the subject of multiple threads.

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Ill second this. I did car play on my wife's iPhone and Android auto on mine. Both worked flawlessly and immediately after connecting. I connected using the cable. Don't know the blue tooth reliability yet. But Bluetooth can be function of that technology's handshake reliability.
CarPlay uses primarily wifi, I believe, which is part of the reason streaming audio is tremendously better than only a Bluetooth connection?