CarPlay in MY22 any better?

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
Wireless CarPlay is flawless on my MY22, connects in seconds. CarPlay is now full screen versus 2/3rd of screen on MY21 as far as I remember it
I still have a my20 with wired and wireless CarPlay. It works fine on all counts bar a few seconds wait at start.

Not sure how CarPlay works in a Tesla :) or how well music streaming services outside of Spotify are integrated?

Do you think CarPlay full screen is a matter of a sw update or dependent on other requirements?
Sponsored

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I still have a my20 with wired and wireless CarPlay. It works fine on all counts bar a few seconds wait at start.

Not sure how CarPlay works in a Tesla :) or how well music streaming services outside of Spotify are integrated?

Do you think CarPlay full screen is a matter of a sw update or dependent on other requirements?
CarPlay display is rendered on the phone and sent as a video stream to the car infotainment (either sent via USB or via Wifi). I think that fullscreen video stream rendering as part of CarPlay calls for more CPU power that may not be available from PCM 5. Otherwise I think Porsche would have already implemented it.

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
CarPlay display is rendered on the phone and sent as a video stream to the car infotainment (either sent via USB or via Wifi). I think that fullscreen video stream rendering as part of CarPlay calls for more CPU power that may not be available from PCM 5. Otherwise I think Porsche would have already implemented it.
thanks. very clear. I just asked Porsche Rotkreuz if it would be supported with an update. But I am afraid you are correct. Although I noticed that in my G (my21) I have a fullscreen CarPlay while on more recent GLE models CarPlay only takes 2/3 of the center screen. So it could also be a choice of the car manufacturer?

Last edited:

Alex74

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT (MY22)
Country flag
That’s very reassuring! Do you have the latest iPhone and iOS 15? Could this possibly be finally fixed for MY22 cars?
I have a iphone 13 pro max and 12 pro,max, and a my22. It turns on frequently. Also when you use pcm, you can have both phones on the car installed and answer when called. With carplay you can only sellect one Phone. ?

Heath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I have a my22 and CarPlay works perfectly. It is slightly slow to connect sometimes, but has always connected by the time I reverse out of the driveway

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
2022 CT 4S and flawless operation of wireless and/or wired CarPlay - not a single issue to date. iPhone Pro 13 and latest iOS.

Brazz

First Name
CB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Panamera 4S EH, 2022 Cayenne
Country flag
MY22 4S, Carplay worked great for the first week and now has disappeared when connected directly or wireless. I've tried multiple things to reconnect, and it has totally disappeared. Fortunately, it is not a necessity for me. I just used it for Waze to warn of speed traps...especially in this car....very easy to speed...ALL the time.

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
thanks. very clear. I just asked Porsche Rotkreuz if it would be supported with an update. But I am afraid you are correct. Although I noticed that in my G (my21) I have a fullscreen CarPlay while on more recent GLE models CarPlay only takes 2/3 of the center screen. So it could also be a choice of the car manufacturer?
I think what’s more likely is that Mercedes chose a beefier CPU for their infotainment than Porsche did in their PCM 5. Or it could be that Porsche earmarked a lot of the CPU power available in PCM 5 so that a car with all the screens (ie including passenger screen) would not stutter no matter what. Maybe that extra screen is just too much for the CPU to process when CarPlay full screen is also running. The G 21 doesn’t have as many screen to push.

Ps; Rotkreuz is also my port of call for service. My offices are in Zug, maybe I’ll see your car around town.

Vfr750Rouge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4 / Cayenne / Jeep Wrangler Willys
Country flag
No significant issues with PCM / apple car play - only MAJOR issue is the alarm going off not randomly but all the time… MY22 ct4

GG77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne S
Country flag
MY22 + iphone 13 pro - carplay works fine wirelessly with some random times where it fails to connect. We're used to just plugging in the phone with wire anyway and that works perfectly everytime. Wired Android auto also works great each time.

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
I’ve read some stories about it taking a long time to connect to Apple CarPlay when you turn the car on, connectivity issues in general (not connecting at all), and everything in between. Does anyone with a MY22 not have these problems, or does it still happen all the time? I love that the car has CarPlay support, but if it takes a couple minutes to connect (or not connect at all) it would drive me crazy. I currently have a Tesla and have gotten used to immediate access to music and maps all the time, so it’s making me rethink my GTS order before it freezes.
I love my 22 CT4, and CarPlay is generally fine. It can however sometimes have connect issues. If you are serious re. " I love that the car has CarPlay support, but if it takes a couple minutes to connect (or not connect at all) it would drive me crazy." then I would have to say that you need to stick with you Tesla. The Taycan has some software quirks, so if you expect perfection, then a Taycan is not for you.
Interestingly I was riding in my daughters Subaru Outback the other day & she has the same issues with CarPlay that I have in the Taycan.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I love my 22 CT4, and CarPlay is generally fine. It can however sometimes have connect issues. If you are serious re. " I love that the car has CarPlay support, but if it takes a couple minutes to connect (or not connect at all) it would drive me crazy." then I would have to say that you need to stick with you Tesla. The Taycan has some software quirks, so if you expect perfection, then a Taycan is not for you.
Interestingly I was riding in my daughters Subaru Outback the other day & she has the same issues with CarPlay that I have in the Taycan.
CarPlay in general can be buggy. I have a Mazda with CarPlay and it has issues from time to time.

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
CarPlay has been flawless in our 22 RWD. In our brand new Grand Cherokee L it has been absolutely terrible.