Carplay no steering wheel support? Come on…..

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
So, my combox is broken and in backorder, hence I need to connect my phone via carplay, to my surprise carplay is not supporting the steeringwheel or touchpad, only the CarPlay window on the middle screen itself? This can’t be true right?
i need to be able to click the voice command button for siri and right scrol for number selection and the phone buttons to dial / hangup
Is this a setting? Or does the Taycan has the worst Carplay support ever?
Sponsored

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I know you can push and hold the voice command button to talk to Siri. Also the diamond button works for “next track” if you have it configured that way. That’s the only integration I’m aware of.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The integration is pretty basic, and slow, and buggy.
This is the kind of thing I was hoping would improve over time with OTA...

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
While I understand the frustrations with CarPlay in general, I am not sure what additional functionality you're looking for on the steering wheel other than the voice command button, next track (via diamond button), and volume.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
While I understand the frustrations with CarPlay in general, I am not sure what additional functionality you're looking for on the steering wheel other than the voice command button, next track (via diamond button), and volume.
Yea it seems to meet my needs. Little wheel on the left side of steering wheel controls volume, click it down to pause the output, use the programmable button on the wheel for next track, and if you are so inclined, use the other programmable button to change the audio source. The tube on the right side of the dash will indicate the track being played and/or show the album art. Really folks, what more do you want, a hand job? That's not on the configurator....

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
Why are people defending the lack of audio control buttons on the steering wheel? a $25k nissan will have a back/forward track button on the steering wheel. sometimes one might want to repeat a song they just listened to? Or maybe pause a song real quick when they are somewhere where they need the music to stop playing? (toll booth, drive thru, etc)

Yes you can program the diamond, but i feel like most people reserve that button for the sport sound function instead.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Why are people defending the lack of audio control buttons on the steering wheel? a $25k nissan will have a back/forward track button on the steering wheel. sometimes one might want to repeat a song they just listened to? Or maybe pause a song real quick when they are somewhere where they need the music to stop playing? (toll booth, drive thru, etc)

Yes you can program the diamond, but i feel like most people reserve that button for the sport sound function instead.
Definitely NOT defending the lack of controls on the steering wheel. But the missing controls are generally missing for all sources, not just CarPlay. So I was trying to understand which of the existing steering controls work on FM/SiriusXM but do not work on CarPlay, which is how I understood the OP’s question.

Last edited:

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
So, my combox is broken and in backorder, hence I need to connect my phone via carplay, to my surprise carplay is not supporting the steeringwheel or touchpad, only the CarPlay window on the middle screen itself? This can’t be true right?
i need to be able to click the voice command button for siri and right scrol for number selection and the phone buttons to dial / hangup
Is this a setting? Or does the Taycan has the worst Carplay support ever?
You have to click and hold the voice command button a bit longer and it should activate Siri. Short push is Porsche voice command.
You can use your phone the way you describe in normal Porsche mode but I guess you want it in CarPlay mode?

Last edited:

OP
OP
Raphie

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
It not even about the multimedia, it’s just simple phone buttons dial/hangup / scroll so i can phone safe without reaching for a touchpad. Even the cheapest cars have that mapped.

OP
OP
Raphie

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
You have to click and hold the voice command button a bit longer and it should activate Siri. Short push is Porsche voice command.
You can use your phone the way you describe in normal Porsche mode but I guess you want it in CarPlay mode?
Yes, Every other carplay enabled car had those phone buttons mapped. Once my combox BT is fixed I won’t be using carplay, but for now it’s the only way to call handsfree.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Ever since seeing a video of drivers on a controlled training route making so many errors whilst phoning, even hands free though it wasn’t as bad, I have only used my phone in the car to receive calls, which works fine from the steering wheel in my Taycan.

I haven’t bothered with CarPlay though.
I then keep the calls as short as is polite…

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Ever since seeing a video of drivers on a controlled training route making so many errors whilst phoning, even hands free though it wasn’t as bad, I have only used my phone in the car to receive calls, which works fine from the steering wheel in my Taycan.

I haven’t bothered with CarPlay though.
I then keep the calls as short as is polite…
100% agreed. It's why i only ever text and email from the car.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag

I dont have sport sound so….
Sponsored