CarPlay vs radio

Bartjes

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MINI R55 JCW, MINI F60 SE All4, BMW R1250GS,...
Country flag
I finally took delivery of my Taycan CT on December 26th. And I love every bit of it!
I just have one anoying issue with it for which I hope someone will know how to solve it.
When I get in my car the radio starts to play, which is what I want, but after a few seconds CarPlay takes over so I have to push a few buttons on the PCM to have my radio on again. I would like to have my radio remaining when I get in. Anyone?
Sponsored

Alex74

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT (MY22)
Country flag
Hi, it’s normal, because carplay/ iphone is connected. Also,if you use waze as gps, your battery will not heat up, when driving to a charger.
but it’s really really stupid, that everytime you get in the car, your radio stops.
also,when you are waiting in the car with ignition of and listen to radio or you’re calling,after a short period the pcm will get in reboot mode. Also pre heating charger doesn’t work in pcm gps. Last pic.
PDS promised with new update it will be better. Was end of november, for the moment i drive with a taycan that pcm shuts down when driving with All screens gone. Already had 3 new pcm’s . So my car is not safe, has been for more then 7 months at the dealer in period of 12 months. Now driving for 2 months in unsafe car. Porsche importer doesn‘t know a solution. I want a new one.

Porsche Taycan CarPlay vs radio FDF2065D-0EBD-48EA-A2F6-7A98F4A1390E

Porsche Taycan CarPlay vs radio B4CFE5B7-7758-4869-9527-74CAA35D3188

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I finally took delivery of my Taycan CT on December 26th. And I love every bit of it!
I just have one anoying issue with it for which I hope someone will know how to solve it.
When I get in my car the radio starts to play, which is what I want, but after a few seconds CarPlay takes over so I have to push a few buttons on the PCM to have my radio on again. I would like to have my radio remaining when I get in. Anyone?
Unfortunately, afaik there is no way to prevent this due to Porsche's PCM. It always prefers wireless CarPlay if you have it set up. I wonder if it is possible to only allow wired CarPlay mode? Maybe this would fix your issue, though I have no idea how to achieve this. I took a quick gander through CarPlay settings on the iPhone and didn't see anything obvious. Maybe there's a setting on the Taycan side?

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I agree, it is frustrating. You can set car play to your usual radio station (so once car play connects radio continues) but just seems illogical to be using your phone and its mobile connection to play the radio when you are in a car with a perfectly good radio.
On the plus side, if you do not have your phone with you, the absence of the cut-off alerts you to the fact that you have left it behind....

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Another reason to be glad I didn’t set up CarPlay when I found it needed me to launch Siri first!
So far i am pretty happy with my phone just connected for calls and music from radio and my USB stick library.

Not sure there is anything in CarPlay I want enough to have the radio needing to be dicked about with every time I use the car.

AGDunc

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Sprinter 4x4 Camper
Country flag
I have wireless CarPlay on a Panasonic head unit I installed in my Sprinter. However, I’m pretty certain it doesn’t stop the DAB radio when I connects to my phone (I’ll try and test this over the next few days). I would lay the blame for this one at Porsches feet. I should be taking delivery of my car this week so I will be intrigued to test that too

Christoaster

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yup, I literally was going to post exact same thing - very frustrating! My friend has a Cross Turismo and told me about this...his solution was to disable CarPlay directly on his iPhone (Settlings<CarPlay) -- but then when you want CarPlay you have to enable it again.

Porsche - this seems like a simple fix, update pls!

ps. Had my 4S now since October...I love my car. Literally a JOY to drive.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I wonder if it is possible to only allow wired CarPlay mode?
Yes it’s possible. You need to go into your phones wifi settings, click edit in the top right corner, and disable auto-join for any wifi networks that start with “Taycan”. After that CarPlay should only work with a wired connection.

OP
OP
Bartjes

Bartjes

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MINI R55 JCW, MINI F60 SE All4, BMW R1250GS,...
Country flag
Yes it’s possible. You need to go into your phones wifi settings, click edit in the top right corner, and disable auto-join for any wifi networks that start with “Taycan”. After that CarPlay should only work with a wired connection.
Good fix! And also solves the problem of an overheating iPhone battery.

OJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT (for sale), Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
For Carplay I believe you can create some automation and trigger via a shortcut (the issue is not Porsche specific) - https://www.guidingtech.com/how-to-stop-music-from-automatically-playing-in-car/

Other manual methods too - nothing native however.
This shortcut is superb! Thanks for sharing.

I’ve found CarPlay frustrating over the past few years and was almost at the point of forgoing it in favour of the standard Bluetooth, but this has sorted the job!

Excellent stuff.
Sponsored