tuptaycan4S

First Name
Lowell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Since taking delivery of Taycan 4S in October, myriad of tech issues. 1.) user profile wouldn’t load properly and Porsche rep said this is quite common. They took about a week and reached out to Porsche Canada to re-enter everything.
2.) occasionally car wouldn’t load my profile when getting in, then hours later would clear itself and load properly.
3.) popped in to a store and came back to car to find four way flashers going (I didn’t activate) and when got in saw warning message for front right signal fault. Seems to have cleared on its own with no recurrence but very odd.
4.) volume control on steering wheel occasionally and sporadically will not raise volume above 2 or 3 then after a number of minutes clears itself and works properly.
5.) having held the spoiler retract button until it stated “fully retracted” got out to find spoiler still up and took two more tries to properly retract.

6.) here’s the big one: voice activation quit randomly. No response to hey Porsche, and when they voice button pushed a message would say “not available in this language”. Worked on a Sunday and quit on a Monday. Has been down for 4 weeks now. Multiple calls to Porsche Canada customer service - nobody had a clue. Spoke with multiple Porsche “pros” at dealership and none had a clue. Customer service even sent me directions for resetting PCM for the wrong vehicle. Finally through dealer turns out (they think) a corrupt portion of code was automatically downloaded in the “back end of the OS” by the car. Only fix is complete PCM replacement.
My gripes are thus: I agree with those of you who feel then software/ user interface could have been better executed. Not having wireless car play when it exists in other models seems ridiculous. Also, customer service at Porsche historically has been stellar. They fall far short of late when it comes to the Taycan. Further, the dealerships, at least in my area, are by their own admission, woefully underprepared when it comes to technical answers regarding the Taycan. They simply lack the training and experience.
Sponsored

OP
OP

tuptaycan4S

First Name
Lowell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
And while I think of it.....the intelligent range manager is abominable. It will choose charging points at 50kw instead of fast charge 150kw locations despite both being on the same route.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
dealerships, at least in my area, are by their own admission, woefully underprepared when it comes to technical answers regarding the Taycan. They simply lack the training and experience.
I have similar problems, but not to that extend. Once the music got louder and louder for no reason. A couple of times I could not change the volume. A few times the music stops and starts with new song because I get kicked out of my profile. After a flat tire I got this error.

Porsche Taycan Catastrophic PCM failure and other tech issues 1610071189909

Went back to the shop and they fixed it within 2 hours. The guy is good, but also new and repairs take longer than I would expect.

At the end, having a good dealership nearby seems to be quite a good idea!

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
Coming from the software and hardware development world, more and more it seems that they have faulty IC components. Regular CPUs are typically well tested and the production is far from 100% success, therefore carefull qa and testing post process is required to confirm the chips are good. So it seems to me that Porsche is using custom IC without a proper hardware testing in place. This would explain the random errors SOME are having. Porsche should literally replace the affected components to new ones. Of course some might be software glitches, but those would be then repeatable on all cars with the same spec.

DeciusCaeciliusMetellus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Country flag
Coming from the software and hardware development world, more and more it seems that they have faulty IC components. Regular CPUs are typically well tested and the production is far from 100% success, therefore carefull qa and testing post process is required to confirm the chips are good. So it seems to me that Porsche is using custom IC without a proper hardware testing in place. This would explain the random errors SOME are having. Porsche should literally replace the affected components to new ones. Of course some might be software glitches, but those would be then repeatable on all cars with the same spec.
The Taycan uses VW Group's MIB3 infotainment system.
https://www.sbdautomotive.com/en/porsche-taycan-ux

KrisMc

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Ginetta G40r, VW T6
Country flag
So my car is same been in twice and going back again, they can’t find a fault when they use it so had to take videos:-

1) Interior lights won’t change to correct colour.
2) Apple car play doesn’t work.
3) Pre heating doesn’t work.
4) App doesn’t function every time
5) car doesn’t charge
6) sat Nav doesn’t have all charging stations loaded so no battery conditioning.
7) car fails to charge all the time.

lots more beside.

Beautiful to look at, Beautiful to look at, amazing machine, disgraceful PC

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
And while I think of it.....the intelligent range manager is abominable. It will choose charging points at 50kw instead of fast charge 150kw locations despite both being on the same route.
I've actually had the Nav system try and route me to a charger 30 miles away (not on my route) when I had the exact address of a charger pre-programmed as a Route Stop and was parked right in front if it! (...because I didn't "convert" the address first)

KrisMc

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How do you tell the car that the stopover is a charger ?

Even though on google maps there’s a charger, the car powered by google maps can’t see it.

Porsche Taycan Catastrophic PCM failure and other tech issues 0A6F106C-665F-4177-B0AE-EE0ED843ABF3

Taycan PCM.....
Porsche Taycan Catastrophic PCM failure and other tech issues FEF00FEF-58F1-40F3-AA6A-18EB1DB98B12

OP
OP

tuptaycan4S

First Name
Lowell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Update on Taycan 4S
Still sitting at dealership.....they did give me a taycan turbo as a loaner.
PCM sent from Germany and installed. However....two days prior to going in for this service my front and left cameras quit.
the day before going in....all cameras quit.
When Porsche got it, having completed pcm replacement, all seemed fine....then just before scheduling a return, all cameras quit (thankfully). So.....some other piece of componentry has been ordered from Germany. They figure 1-2weeks minimum and advised against taking the car home until situation rectified.
Let’s hope none of the software issues affect critical items such as power delivery or brakes!

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Update on Taycan 4S
PCM sent from Germany and installed. However....two days prior to going in for this service my front and left cameras quit.
When Porsche got it, having completed pcm replacement, all seemed fine....then just before scheduling a return, all cameras quit (thankfully). So.....some other piece of componentry has been ordered from Germany. They figure 1-2weeks minimum and advised against taking the car home until situation rectified.
Let’s hope none of the software issues affect critical items such as power delivery or brakes!
You should be happy they gave you a Turbo instead of a base Macan without keyless entry.. Don't give them the Turbo back until everything is fixed :p

Last edited:

KrisMc

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update on Taycan 4S
Good luck mines still there. I’m onto my third loan car now, panamera 4s had it a couple of weeks. Forget I own a Taycan now.

OP
OP

tuptaycan4S

First Name
Lowell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Update on Taycan 4S
They called to pick up the Taycan Turbo they loaned me. Replacing it with a 4S. (Not my 4S mind you)
Mine had its PCM replaced, following which they determined some other module (I know not which) also needs replacing.
Having completed this....they called me to tell me they felt the front camera should be replaced. In the middle of this job they called again to inform me there was some “incorrect wiring” that ALSO needed to be corrected and as such would likely have the car until next week.
Makes you wonder about their assembly process and just how many other oversights there may be. Perhaps they rushed this to market a little too quickly?
At this rate, piece by piece, within a couple months I should have an entirely new car from the inside out.
Sponsored