BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Does anybody actually use the center console handwriting panel? I’ve had my Taycan for a few months now and LOVE it. However, it seems that anything that the center console handwriting panel can do is accomplished more easily through alternate interfaces. It would be great if this feature had a practical use.
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Does anybody actually use the center console handwriting panel? I’ve had my Taycan for a few months now and LOVE it. However, it seems that anything that the center console handwriting panel can do is accomplished more easily through alternate interfaces. It would be great if this feature had a practical use.
I am right-handed and in Ireland we have our steering wheel on the right of the car – therefore I find the handwriting too difficult with my left hand. Actually forgot about this "feature".

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I bet lefties love it because it is the first thing they can use that the right handed majority can’t :)
Completely useless function to me

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I am right-handed and in Ireland we have our steering wheel on the right of the car – therefore I find the handwriting too difficult with my left hand. Actually forgot about this "feature".
Me too but using the Taycan badge as a wrist rest I thought using it as a trackpad may reduce the on the move unwanted selections touch screens are so prone to.

I haven’t got mine yet but thought on a demo car it seemed like it might be OK.

Generally I am no fan of touch screens other than a smartphone where its versatility trumps its hatefulness.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
I am a lefty in the US. Totally useless. It is like finger writing on an Apple Watch to respond to text. Use the space to put some extra quick access buttons like a "back" button so when I go to some function in the PCM and I want it to go back to Waze I do not have to press 3 or 4 buttons to go back. Add some "previous" and "next" for all media devices.

OP
OP
BMonte13

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
It's in the frunk category for me. ....."Oh yeah, I forgot it had that"
Agree about the frunk. It’s nice to have but I don’t exactly use my Taycan for big grocery/Costco runs or picking up tons of people from the airport.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Me too but using the Taycan badge as a wrist rest I thought using it as a trackpad may reduce the on the move unwanted selections touch screens are so prone to.

I haven’t got mine yet but thought on a demo car it seemed like it might be OK.

Generally I am no fan of touch screens other than a smartphone where its versatility trumps its hatefulness.
Yep, ideal for a left hander for this purpose. But i had also forgotten about it, despite using it a little when i first got the car. In reality i use waze mostly or the radio (rarely change channel) in the PCM. Not really much need for it with either of those. Probably doesn't even work with car play apps (?).

Maybe more uses when stationary and faffing around with profiles etc.

But it would be better if it (and the aircon display) were more usable as screens. eg radio where the aircon is and satnav showing in the PCM etc, rather than having to tab between them. Maybe they'd sell fewer passenger displays if they did that i guess.

Deleted member 7736

I'm left-handed and in the US, so this is equally useless to me for the same reason.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Agree about the frunk. It’s nice to have but I don’t exactly use my Taycan for big grocery/Costco runs or picking up tons of people from the airport.
The Frunk is my To Go pick up spot. Fits the to go food great and will not slide around like in the trunk and no smell or spill potential in the cabin.

Zhuzhu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S Ice Grey
Country flag
I actually use it all the time, when I’m not in CarPlay mode(it doesn’t respond the same way), but I use a trackpad on my computer most of the time, so it seems natural. It saves me from reaching for the center display, which I find a bit annoying and awkward. Would hate to see them bin this feature. BTW I’m right handed and in Canada, so ergonomically it would work for most of us here.

OP
OP
BMonte13

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
I actually use it all the time, when I’m not in CarPlay mode(it doesn’t respond the same way), but I use a trackpad on my computer most of the time, so it seems natural. It saves me from reaching for the center display, which I find a bit annoying and awkward. Would hate to see them bin this feature. BTW I’m right handed and in Canada, so ergonomically it would work for most of us here.
Could you specify what routine functions you are accessing via the trackpad? I genuinely want to find a useful purpose for this function.
Sponsored