Jimmy

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi. A friend has had his car now for 2 months (mine arrives next month).
He has ceramic coating on the windows and mirrors. While he was out today, the window wipers were quite noisy, he could hardly use the side mirrors (unclear) and rear camera was also not clear.
Anyone else have any of these issues in the rain?
Sponsored

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Do you know what products he used? Can’t comment fully on this as only one day old from ceramic coatings. I do know one thing, the water sheds off the glass, hardly any need for wipers.

OP
OP

Jimmy

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Do you know what products he used? Can’t comment fully on this as only one day old from ceramic coatings. I do know one thing, the water sheds off the glass, hardly any need for wipers.
I believe he used gyeon
The washer for the camera was helpful he said but the noise on the front wipers was “loud”
I’m trying to get him to post a video on the forum

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Ceramic coating on glass, because?

Glass is not hard enough? Glass is not clear enough? Glass is too hard to clean?

Silicon dioxide (SiO2) is ALREADY a common fundamental constituent of glass!

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
The Gyeon Glass product is actually quite good but my guy used a different product so I won’t be able to help. I did just go out to car and ran the wipers dry and wet. No difference in sound really. Quite acceptable noise. Sorry post is useless to you.

OP
OP

Jimmy

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The Gyeon Glass product is actually quite good but my guy used a different product so I won’t be able to help. I did just go out to car and ran the wipers dry and wet. No difference in sound really. Quite acceptable noise. Sorry post is useless to you.
Not useless at all. Thanks for trying sent the effort. Glad it’s not on yours and hopefully others. He’s going to dealer tomorrow to see if they can assist. I’ll port the result.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Not useless at all. Thanks for trying sent the effort. Glad it’s not on yours and hopefully others. He’s going to dealer tomorrow to see if they can assist. I’ll port the result.
Just curious if he ran the wipers before putting on the ceramic? I never was happy with the wipers of my previous car, and never got it adjusted right. So it was a nice surprise at how nice the wipers on the taycan are.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Ceramic coating on glass, because?

Glass is not hard enough? Glass is not clear enough? Glass is too hard to clean?

Silicon dioxide (SiO2) is ALREADY a common fundamental constituent of glass!
We do not allow our detailer to glass (“ceramic”) coat our glass, however, they strongly claim it reduces rock chip damage. They use Modesta.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We do not allow our detailer to glass (“ceramic”) coat our glass, however, they strongly claim it reduces rock chip damage. They use Modesta.
So... The guys who sell the service (to coat glass with more glass) claim its great? I'm sure they are totally unbiased!

If you think a couple of microns of ceramic coating is going to stop a rock from chipping your windshield, then you live in a different "land of rocks" than I do...

...and who gets rock chips in their rear view mirrors? Spending a lot of time driving backwards are we?

Last edited:

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
So... The guys who sell the service (to coat glass with more glass) claim its great? I'm sure they are totally unbiased!

If you think a couple of microns of ceramic coating is going to stop a rock from chipping your windshield, then you live in a different "land of rocks" than I do...

...and who gets rock chips in their rear view mirrors? Spending a lot of time driving backwards are we?
There's a lot of unhelpful snark in your responses, in my opinion, but if you are sincerely curious, the point of doing ceramic on glass isn't primarily for additional protection it's to add better hydrophobic properties. Think of it as a much-longer-lasting application of Rain-X. This allows water to shed, improves driving visibility in rain, and potentially reduces the incidence of water spots when rain dries on the glass.

Last edited:

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
There's a lot of unhelpful snark in your responses, in my opinion, but if you are sincerely curious, the point of doing ceramic on glass isn't primarily for additional protection it's to add better hydrophobic properties. This of it as a much-longer-lasting application of Rain-X. This allows water to shed, improves driving visibility in rain, and potentially reduces the incidence of water spots when rain dries on the glass.
I remember an Audi TTS I had from new that was coated, you could drive above 70mph in driving rain without wipers! The water beading was that good. Have yet to drive my Taycan in the rain. . .

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There's a lot of unhelpful snark in your responses, in my opinion, but if you are sincerely curious, the point of doing ceramic on glass isn't primarily for additional protection it's to add better hydrophobic properties. This of it as a much-longer-lasting application of Rain-X. This allows water to shed, improves driving visibility in rain, and potentially reduces the incidence of water spots when rain dries on the glass.
Sounds like other folks are having different results (OP).

I've never had any problems with my windshield shedding water as long as its clean. Similarly, I have used Rain-X in the past, but never saw it to be much more than a party trick. (Look! I can drive in the rain without using wipers!)

Good wipers on a clean windshield work pretty well I think. Clear as glass... Nothing to renew or re-apply (other than wipers which would be required anyway). Maybe if I couldn't press a button to clean my windshield I would see something like this more valuable...
Sponsored