AmpedUp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
I haven't bought a new car since 2000... in fact, I haven't bought any car since 2000. I was living in Manhattan for more than a decade, but on top of that, I'm not a "car guy". However, I do appreciate them. I think in the back of my mind, I've simply been waiting for a car that captured my imagination. For me, the Taycan represents my priorities for BEV (vowed never to buy an ICE ever again), all-around performance, looks, luxury, and technology (in that order). So I ordered my first car in 21 years!

If you order a car that infrequently and you have the means, why look at the price of options, right? Right!?!?! Back me up here... I have a wife (I joke... she's the one that pushed and pushed for me to buy this car I've been drooling over. Hmmm, suspicious now that I think about it... maybe she wants a new one? lol).

I contacted two local dealers and got on the waitlist for a Turbo S allocation. That was in February. After several months, they both called to indicate they were done with the Turbo S builds for 2021 MY. However, I really wanted the 19.6kW AC charger, which was pulled from the 2021 MY selector and returned for the 2022 MY, so all worked out in the end. One of them called in July to inform me I finally had an October build.

The order below went in this week. Thank you to this community for helping me figure out some looming questions. The dealer was sadly worthless. In fact, the dealer gave me a lot of bad information, such as "you'll never be able to utilize 19.2kW of charging at home because that's several houses worth of power". In fact, I have 400 amps of service in my garage. I had to educate him on amps, volts, kW, and kWh... come on Porsche, training!

I did not spec everything... even in one case where it actually cost extra to do so (more on that at the end). I ordered exactly what I wanted... my all-black dream.

Without further ado:
Taycan Turbo S
- Jet black metalic
- Ceramic composite brakes painted black
- Dynamic Chasis Control Sport
- SportDesign Package in carbon fiber
- Taycan Excl Design Wheels with carbon fiber aeroblades
- Exterior mirror trim in carbon fiber
- Power folding exterior mirrors
- Puddle lights
- LED matrix headlights in black
- Rear light strip in black
- Thermally and noise insulated glass
- Model designation in jet black (I seriously thought about deleting altogether, but if I ever resell her, the buyer probably wants the model designation somewhere); matching the paint will make it slightly more difficult to see

Interior
- Olea Club leather in Basalt Black (upgraded mainly because it includes leather seat backs)
- Guards Red stitching
- Interior accents in dark silver
- Storage package
- Inner door sill guards and B-pillar in leather (the big downside with this is that the door sill guards will likely scratch, but I pretty much only wear chucks... which any true chucks superfan knows is technically a slipper; it's true, look it up).
- Seat consoles in leather
- Rear seat storage tray in leather
- Rear tunnel storage tray in leather
- Door trim package in leather (yes, I know you can't see any of it with the door closed, and many would not spec it... but doors do open and this is my YOLO build, lol)
- Center console trim in leather (there is a lot of bad info out there on what surfaces this covers, including the information I got from my dealer)
- Heated steering wheel in matte carbon fiber
- Ventilated 18-way seats (note I did NOT spec massage seats... this isn't a spa)
- Porsche Design subsecond clock
- "Smoking package" (always get this folks... it costs nothing and is useful for other things, like tucking away a charger out of sight!)
- Peddles and footrest in aluminum
- Keys painted jet black, with leather key pouch with guards red stitching to match

Climate:
- Advanced 4-zone climate control
- Ionizer

Tech / sound:
- Night vision assist
- Burmester surround sound
- Surround view
- Technology Package (includes passenger display, heads-up display, park assist, lane keeping, and adaptive cruise control)
- Innodrive upgrade

Charging:
- 19.2 kW on-board charger... I have an actual need to top up quickly while at home during the afternoon
- On-board 150 kW / 400V DC charger (hopeful the Tesla network will open up, which would be extra useful heading to our cabin)
- Intelligent range manager

So, you might be asking, "what the f#@& didn't you get"??? Here is the list of non-conflicting options (i.e., would not replace any existing selections) I passed on and some of my reasoning:
- Pano roof... I like the look of the regular roof better plus I live in an extremely hot climate. It would have been cheaper to include because I could have optioned the "premium package" for less than the other items in the package totaled "a la carte"... so in my mind, I actually paid to "upgrade" from the pano roof to the metal one
- Massage seats (as mentioned earlier, not there for a facial and back rub)
- Leather sun visors (it simply makes more sense to match the roof than the seats... I'm tall and so I rarely use sun visor anyway)
- Interior crest / model inlays (I actually want less branding, more incognito, which is why black light strip and model designation jet black)
- Mobile charger connect (it's a terrible charger that should not be purchased by anyone, and wouldn't make sense with 19.2kW capacity)
- Rear 2+1 seat... who would ever try to fit 5 people in this car?

I'll post some photos when it arrives in December or January.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

AmpedUp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
These renderings lack the guards red stitching, but here are the photos... so glad I skipped the pano roof, which I debated for a while.
Porsche Taycan Certifiably Insane YOLO Turbo S Configuration - Ordered This Week 1629832681268

Porsche Taycan Certifiably Insane YOLO Turbo S Configuration - Ordered This Week 1629651529724

Porsche Taycan Certifiably Insane YOLO Turbo S Configuration - Ordered This Week 1629651541279

Porsche Taycan Certifiably Insane YOLO Turbo S Configuration - Ordered This Week 1629651555142

Porsche Taycan Certifiably Insane YOLO Turbo S Configuration - Ordered This Week 1629651573852

Porsche Taycan Certifiably Insane YOLO Turbo S Configuration - Ordered This Week 1629651592790

Porsche Taycan Certifiably Insane YOLO Turbo S Configuration - Ordered This Week 1629651514158

Last edited:

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Do you like color? Or really like blacked out cars?

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Incredible! You looked at every detail.

Great move on the upgraded Olea leather with the red stitching. That's going to look sexy. The back of the front seats with that stitching will really stand out.

All the exclusive leather extra will give it an even more premium look, especially in the rear.

The metal roofs slight indentation down the Center for aerodynamics is an underappreciated detail.

Porsche design clock is another fine detail.

What you do you think about getting the seat belts in guards red?
Also the deep pile floor mats with the red stitching? It will break up the carpet and make it pop

Last edited:
OP
OP

AmpedUp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you like color? Or really like blacked out cars?
I think a bit of both! I could have gone with the regular black paint, but the metallic paint picks up various colors in a very cool way. I thought hard about the carrera white, but my last car was white and I just love the all-black look of this.

OP
OP

AmpedUp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The metal roofs slight indentation down the Center for aerodynamics is an underappreciated detail.
I agree. The pano roof looks boring in comparison, versus the purposeful look of the regular roof which picks up the lines from the hood.

What you do you think about getting the seat belts in guards red?
Also the deep pile floor mats with the red stitching? It will break up the carpet and make it pop
I thought about the seat belts, but they are not available in guards red. Even if they were available, I'm not 100% sure I would do it. The stitching is in a lot of places already and it might appear too showy for me.

I might still add the red stitching to the floor mats, but I just don't get wowed by floor mats, which are more likely to get replaced. I don't consider them "part of the car" if you know what I mean. Maybe I should... Are to trying to get me to configure a new record-breaking expensive Taycan? lol

Pivotaltrader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 TTS 18 hd denali 23 bentley gt speed
Country flag
i have carrera white metallic 21 tts, loaded, you are gonna love it! Super happy for you and your build is perfect. I did the red/black interior, sport design package, missions gloss black, yellow calipers, enjoy it in great health my friend :)

OP
OP

AmpedUp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
i have carrera white metallic 21 tts, loaded, you are gonna love it! Super happy for you and your build is perfect. I did the red/black interior, sport design package, missions gloss black, yellow calipers, enjoy it in great health my friend :)
Thank you! This is the most exciting purchase I've ever made except for maybe my wife's engagement ring! You and I have similar taste... I probably would have ordered your config in the spring, but changed my mind over the summer.

Reactions: KTC

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
I agree. The pano roof looks boring in comparison, versus the purposeful look of the regular roof which picks up the lines from the hood.

I thought about the seat belts, but they are not available in guards red. Even if they were available, I'm not 100% sure I would do it. The stitching is in a lot of places already and it might appear too showy for me.

I might still add the red stitching to the floor mats, but I just don't get wowed by floor mats, which are more likely to get replaced. I don't consider them "part of the car" if you know what I mean. Maybe I should... Are to trying to get me to configure a new record-breaking expensive Taycan? lol
Yolo buddy

H/T @struther
Look at his stitching on the steering wheel, with the dash, with the seats, with the deep pile (not paper thin) stitched floor mats ?

Porsche Taycan Certifiably Insane YOLO Turbo S Configuration - Ordered This Week 0AF46A59-8026-4FB6-8F01-B36D0CE64461.jpe

You're right about the seat belts

OP
OP

AmpedUp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yolo buddy

H/T @struther
Look at his stitching on the steering wheel, with the dash, with the seats, with the deep pile (not paper thin) stitched floor mats ?

0AF46A59-8026-4FB6-8F01-B36D0CE64461.jpeg.jpg

You're right about the seat belts
Might have sold me… do you work for Porsche?

TSIII

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Now that’s a beautiful build!

Note though that you stated you wanted less branding but got the puddle lights - did you know those splash a bright light that spells “PORSCHE” on the ground every time you open a door?

Only mentioning it because the lease I picked off the lot has the puddle lights and I dislike them for that reason - way too much branding for me.

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Black doesn't bring out the lines of the Taycan.

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Now that’s a beautiful build!

Note though that you stated you wanted less branding but got the puddle lights - did you know those splash a bright light that spells “PORSCHE” on the ground every time you open a door?

Only mentioning it because the lease I picked off the lot has the puddle lights and I dislike them for that reason - way too much branding for me.
I got a 21 Audi Q7 off of the lot with the puddle lights and put a piece of blue construction tape over each of them and now they give off a really nice glow and no branding.

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Great spec! Do you think the carbon wheels look a little grey? May just be the configurator? Wonder about same wheels in gloss black? Also have carbon wheels difficult to repair if damaged.

taycanfun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan
Country flag
Looks amazing- can you add some context on the mobile charger connect; so you should stick with the basic one or what are you recommending to do otherwise? thanks!
Sponsored