Change of mind after lock in date?

ktvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s 2022
Country flag
Hi everyone,

Put a 5k deposit on a taycan 4s and estimated arrival is in April; does anyone know what happens if I change my mind after lock in date and want a GTS or different car? Do I just lose my deposit or is there anything else involved?

Also, I didn’t sign any contract when putting down my deposit, did you guys have to sign one? Lock in date is Jan 14, so maybe they will give me something after that?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

IcanTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, BMW 328xi
Country flag
I would assume that depends on the dealer and the contract you signed while placing the order. If you have a relationship with them, they might still return the deposit or allow you to move it to the other order if you are still ordering with them.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
In the UK, my understanding (from what a Range Rover dealer told me), is they can only keep the deposit if they can demonstrate they've made a loss. i.e. the car turns up and they have to discount to shift it. If a Taycan hits their forecourt at the moment, it sounds like they'll be able to mark up and shift it quickly given demand/supply in balance.

That aside, I'd be amazed if any reputable dealership wouldn't just roll your deposit into the different car and cancel (or more likely reassign the) the other one given they are both porsche. Slightly harder sell i guess if you'd decided you wanted a BMW instead.

Short version, i wouldn't sweat it, but tell them asap i guess.

Reactions: B61

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
It probably depends on a dealer, but i’ve been told that deposit is kept until the car is sold to some other customer…

HeTakesThatFivePercent

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S (incoming)
Country flag
Depends on the dealer. Here in Los Angeles, one told me the deposit is non-refundable but can be transferred to another Porsche (if we eventually decide we want a 911 instead of a Taycan, for instance). Another dealer said the deposit is fully refundable, no restrictions.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Depends on the dealer. Here in Los Angeles, one told me the deposit is non-refundable but can be transferred to another Porsche (if we eventually decide we want a 911 instead of a Taycan, for instance). Another dealer said the deposit is fully refundable, no restrictions.
another dealer?
maybe that other dealer is articulating the policies at his dealership but that is not guaranteed to be the case the dealership you made your deal with. if I was in this position I would contact whomever it was that I put the deposit with and not rely on other dealership's opinions.

OP
OP

ktvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s 2022
Country flag
I would assume that depends on the dealer and the contract you signed while placing the order. If you have a relationship with them, they might still return the deposit or allow you to move it to the other order if you are still ordering with them.
they actually didn’t make me sign anything? Do you guys usually sign a contract after deposit?
Im most likely sticking with the car but good to know there is some flexibility

• Wow

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
they actually didn’t make me sign anything? Do you guys usually sign a contract after deposit?
Im most likely sticking with the car but good to know there is some flexibility
you handed over $5k and had no written agreement?

HeTakesThatFivePercent

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S (incoming)
Country flag
another dealer?
maybe that other dealer is articulating the policies at his dealership but that is not guaranteed to be the case the dealership you made your deal with. if I was in this position I would contact whomever it was that I put the deposit with and not rely on other dealership's opinions.
Yes... each dealer was just telling me the policies at his own dealership. It varies from dealership to dealership.

mdrobc1213

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, Taycan CT4, 992 Carrera,
Country flag
Nope, not sure if this is good or bad lol
Very bad. Why you'd give them money and people keep doing this with NOTHING in writing is beyond me. Crazy. Dealer then technically has your $$ but NOTHING on the terms agreed to which they can change as they will. Lots of this going on in the 992 forums where no cars; huge demand and guys put $$$ forward sometimes tons of cash on the "promise" of a car when an allocation arrives. Tales of guys waiting 12 mos and still no car...or going from #1 down to #5 back to #3 then down to #20 on a dealers list for a car....cause they have nothing to make them give you a car other than their words....
Im most likely sticking with the car but good to know there is some flexibility.

BTW most P-cars do not let you change the order and details of the build after the lock date as that is driven by Porsche AG. As others have said will depend on dealer and country. Many will let you swap over to new vehicle ordered or in house/lot easily enough but MAY charge you if say you ordered a hard to sell build or there is anything which would cause them a loss such as car staying unsold on the lot for a long time. Have heard of some holding your deposit till the car sells then returning it to you minus how long it took to sell.
. No see my post above..you just have a "promise" of a car...not an actual allocation of a car. Those come with paperwork and a commission number from Porsche that is linked to a timeline for production and hard dates. Taking your $$ and signing and giving you nothing is very bad. Lots of flexibility alright...they can flex you and your car to infinity if wanted and keep your $$ tied up for a good minute.
you handed over $5k and had no written agreement?
Yeah not a great situation man to be in... but the state of the market and buyers I guess across multiple Porsche platforms and manufacturers...story such as this is common across multiple forums.

GreenDay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4, Porsche Macan S
Country flag
My dealer sent me pic of my receipt for my $2.5K deposit. The receipt was stapled to the credit card authorization I emailed to my dealer. Once the build was locked in at the freeze date, my dealer texted me the Build Sheet with my name on it, their dealership on it and the ID of my vehicle. I don't know if there's any official contract. But you should have written proof of your payment, what you're paying for, and evidence of your particular allocation. That allocation should have your name on it and build code, if it's already got an expected arrival date in April. Make sure you have your name against that allocation

OP
OP

ktvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s 2022
Country flag
Very bad. Why you'd give them money and people keep doing this with NOTHING in writing is beyond me. Crazy. Dealer then technically has your $$ but NOTHING on the terms agreed to which they can change as they will. Lots of this going on in the 992 forums where no cars; huge demand and guys put $$$ forward sometimes tons of cash on the "promise" of a car when an allocation arrives. Tales of guys waiting 12 mos and still no car...or going from #1 down to #5 back to #3 then down to #20 on a dealers list for a car....cause they have nothing to make them give you a car other than their words....
. No see my post above..you just have a "promise" of a car...not an actual allocation of a car. Those come with paperwork and a commission number from Porsche that is linked to a timeline for production and hard dates. Taking your $$ and signing and giving you nothing is very bad. Lots of flexibility alright...they can flex you and your car to infinity if wanted and keep your $$ tied up for a good minute.

Yeah not a great situation man to be in... but the state of the market and buyers I guess across multiple Porsche platforms and manufacturers...story such as this is common across multiple forums.
I guess my lock in date is Jan 14 so I can still ask for a contract now? They made it seem normal to just put down a deposit and then thats it. I also got an email to sign up for my porsche and track the production of my Taycan so when I login I can see updates and progress so it seems like it is official and not just a promise?

OP
OP

ktvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s 2022
Country flag
My dealer sent me pic of my receipt for my $2.5K deposit. The receipt was stapled to the credit card authorization I emailed to my dealer. Once the build was locked in at the freeze date, my dealer texted me the Build Sheet with my name on it, their dealership on it and the ID of my vehicle. I don't know if there's any official contract. But you should have written proof of your payment, what you're paying for, and evidence of your particular allocation. That allocation should have your name on it and build code, if it's already got an expected arrival date in April. Make sure you have your name against that allocation
That is good to know, I assume I will get that after the lock in date of Jan 14 then

GreenDay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4, Porsche Macan S
Country flag
That is good to know, I assume I will get that after the lock in date of Jan 14 then
You should get that now. It's your allocation. You have until Jan 14 to make changes to your build config in the Porsche Configurator that will be mapped to that allocation, once you provide your final 'porsche code' to your SA. However, you've paid a deposit for that allocation, so double check your name is on it in their system already.
Sponsored