Change Seats from 14-way to 18-way Seats - retrofit install?

Hockey29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have a ’22 4S which is about 6 months old. I’ve always “liked” the 14-way seats I bought with the Premium Package, but I just drove a Turbo S with the 18-way seats and LOVE the adjustable bolsters of those 18-way seats. I would like to switch to the OEM 18-way seats. Is this possible? Easy to do? I've got the basic black leather interior and wouldn't mind upgrading on the front leather seats, as well.

Once I buy the seats (probably from a dealer), is it easy to change them? Just swap out the seats? Will I need to have re-program the PCM? I have to find out how much the 18-way seats are and then determine if it’s a big deal or little deal for labor to swap out. It would be great if, once installed, the new ones were plug n play.

As a side note, I’m not looking for thoughts on which seats are preferable. Just advice on the scope of replacing the front seats. Or if anyone has done an interior swap already and is familiar with this.

Thank you to all. I love this forum as it helps me get the best out of my car.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have a ’22 4S which is about 6 months old. I’ve always “liked” the 14-way seats I bought with the Premium Package, but I just drove a Turbo S with the 18-way seats and LOVE the adjustable bolsters of those 18-way seats. I would like to switch to the OEM 18-way seats. Is this possible? Easy to do? I've got the basic black leather interior and wouldn't mind upgrading on the front leather seats, as well.

Once I buy the seats (probably from a dealer), is it easy to change them? Just swap out the seats? Will I need to have re-program the PCM? I have to find out how much the 18-way seats are and then determine if it’s a big deal or little deal for labor to swap out. It would be great if, once installed, the new ones were plug n play.

As a side note, I’m not looking for thoughts on which seats are preferable. Just advice on the scope of replacing the front seats. Or if anyone has done an interior swap already and is familiar with this.

Thank you to all. I love this forum as it helps me get the best out of my car.
Sorry - can't really advise but have some thoughts: 1) Expensive to retrofit, 2) Ingress / Egress of the car will be more difficult than it is just now (especially when on an incline / decline, 3) Programming of the option may be required (dealer will charge for this - PCM for sure), 4) seat squab and backrest pattern may be different to any seats which you aren't changing.

If you have deep pockets then I'm sure its possible but the gains may be marginal IMHO.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
We could place bets on the cost here…

I will start at $8000

Keep us posted 🙂

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Sorry - can't really advise but have some thoughts: 1) Expensive to retrofit, 2) Ingress / Egress of the car will be more difficult than it is just now (especially when on an incline / decline, 3) Programming of the option may be required (dealer will charge for this - PCM for sure), 4) seat squab and backrest pattern may be different to any seats which you aren't changing.

If you have deep pockets then I'm sure its possible but the gains may be marginal IMHO.
Why would ingress/ egress be more difficult, due to the bolsters?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Why would ingress/ egress be more difficult, due to the bolsters?
Yes, precisely. They are higher edged on the seat squab than the comfort ones which means likelihood of applying more pressure on that part of the seat when entering and exiting (crease city - potentially). The angle of entry into the Taycan is already slightly awkward due to the roofline, curvature of the door / glass and the position of the b-pillar say compared to a Panamera.

Not a major issue but just something to be aware of.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Dealer will not sell you the seats. You’re going to have to find them on the secondary market, which will be difficult and won’t be cheap.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yes, precisely. They are higher edged on the seat squab than the comfort ones which means likelihood of applying more pressure on that part of the seat when entering and exiting (crease city - potentially). The angle of entry into the Taycan is already slightly awkward due to the roofline, curvature of the door / glass and the position of the b-pillar say compared to a Panamera.

Not a major issue but just something to be aware of.
I am not sure if it's a part of the comfort entry or if it's part of the 18-ways seats, but once you turn off the car, and open the door, the bolsters retracts to a completely flat position. Along with that, the steering wheel raises, so getting in/out of the vehicle is a breeze. The opposite is true, when you close the door, they raise back up to the angle you've set. It works pretty nicely.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I am not sure if it's a part of the comfort entry or if it's part of the 18-ways seats, but once you turn off the car, and open the door, the bolsters retracts to a completely flat position. Along with that, the steering wheel raises, so getting in/out of the vehicle is a breeze. The opposite is true, when you close the door, they raise back up to the angle you've set. It works pretty nicely.
I have comfort entry (which is part of the feature you describe along with driver memory, std on 14 / 18-way) and if the same key is used the seat moves into position as does the steering wheel but everything else to do with the seat is preserved i.e. it doesn't adjust from a reset / flat position each and every time (not sure it would be physically possible given the seat squab is neat against the central tunnel between both front seats). If you use a different key with different settings then these all of the seat settings(mirrors etc) are recalled. On power-off, opening the door raises the wheel and retracts the drivers seat but that's all.

I don't think it possible for the seat bolsters to go 'flat' - this 100% doesn't happen with the Comfort 14-way and the seat squab bolsters which are reasonably high (not as high as the Sport Seat Plus) so I'd expect them to 'flatten' too if this was a feature.

I have the 18-way Sport seats on my Boxster and they behave the same as the 14-way Comfort seats I have on my current Taycan.

Perhaps a new feature that has been introduced that I've missed until now.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have comfort entry (which is part of the feature you describe along with driver memory, std on 14 / 18-way) and if the same key is used the seat moves into position as does the steering wheel but everything else to do with the seat is preserved i.e. it doesn't adjust from a reset / flat position each and every time (not sure it would be physically possible given the seat squab is neat against the central tunnel between both front seats). If you use a different key with different settings then these all of the seat settings(mirrors etc) are recalled. On power-off, opening the door raises the wheel and retracts the drivers seat but that's all.

I don't think it possible for the seat bolsters to go 'flat' - this 100% doesn't happen with the Comfort 14-way and the seat squab bolsters which are reasonably high (not as high as the Sport Seat Plus) so I'd expect them to 'flatten' too if this was a feature.

I have the 18-way Sport seats on my Boxster and they behave the same as the 14-way Comfort seats I have on my current Taycan.

Perhaps a new feature that has been introduced that I've missed until now.
Can't speak to the 14-way but my 18-way retracts 100% flat for sure. I do, however, have a concern about longevity reliability issues since they move in/out so often like that.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Can't speak to the 14-way but my 18-way retracts 100% flat for sure. I do, however, have a concern about longevity reliability issues since they move in/out so often like that.
Can you post a video? Maybe I am missing something with mine

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Must be different for NA market but would be surprised - or perhaps its a feature which isn't intended to be a 'feature' on your car as wear and tear would be a possible concern.

Loltheinternet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Range Rover L405, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yeah I don't see any way this swap happens with new parts for less than $20k.

SCD

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911S Cabriolet, Cayenne
Country flag
We could place bets on the cost here…

I will start at $8000

Keep us posted 🙂
I’ll take the over on $8k. It may make more sense to sell the car and buy one with the seats you prefer.
Sponsored