Charge in between errands and frequent trips in one day? Letting the battery deplete occasionally or constant top up?

nwills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I understand that the daily charge profile should be capped at 85%. When a longer drive is required Direct Charge to 100% is fine. But what about your daily use...in the event where on the week end you are running multiple errands and you leave the house multiple time to run a quick errand, do 10-20 miles come home and later the same day run out again etc. Do you connect the charger every time you come home? Aside from the potential hassle of doing so is there any downside to doing this or is it best to let the battery run down some before connecting it to the charger? Thinking from a lithium ion battery standpoint and letting it fluctuate between different charge levels vs. going from 85% to 70% and back to 85% never letting it run lower.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
not unless you need to - charging once a day is a great ritual for the battery

but at the end of the day it won’t matter - teh battery will be fine over time, unless you’ve been fast charging like 3 times a day for it’s entire life.

OP
OP

nwills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
not unless you need to - charging once a day is a great ritual for the battery

but at the end of the day it won’t matter - teh battery will be fine over time, unless you’ve been fast charging like 3 times a day for it’s entire life.
That's what I thought. I figured probably best to take the better battery maintenance approach even though the car can handle frequent top ups.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the _ONLY_ days of the year I charge my EV multiple times is:
  • road trips - 3 times a day
    • overnight the night before the drive
    • fast charging as necessary during the day’s driving
    • overnight again at the hotel so I”m full the next day
  • thanks giving week it the bay area
    • I have multiple family shuttle responsibilities with multiple airport runs, grocery store runs, moveing people and things from here to there and just generally more driving
    • I’ve learned by painful experience that on days like that I charge when ever I can for what ever percentage I can muster cause it’s a high demand 2 1/2 weeks on my personal transportation
the other 320 days a year I simply dont worry about it and just let the car charge overnight.
Sponsored