Charge Taycan with Tesla home charger?

Gnep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hi guys,

Does it work to charge Taycan with a Tesla home charger?

I have a Model X and a Telsa 380v home charger. For some reason, I cannot install another charger, so I have to use the Tesla charger to charge Taycan.
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Hi guys,

I have a Model X and a Telsa 380v home charger. For some reason, I cannot install another charger, so I have to use the Tesla charger to charge Taycan.
Yes it should work just fine. You might have to change one of the dip switches in the WallConnector which I assume you mean by Home Charger. There are a lot of Tesla destination chargers at hotels, golf clubs and restaurants that work just great. Sometimes there are two chargers and one being restricted to Tesla owners but the other works with all EVs.

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don’t quite know what the previous poster meant, but Tesla uses a different charger connecter. You can get an adapter on Amazon that lets you use your home Tesla charger on your Taycan and you can take it with you and use Tesla destination chargers (not superchargers). But a Tesla charger will not fit a Taycan without an adapter no matter how many dip switches you flip. ;)

You want Tesla to J1772

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry you are correct. You are all based in the US, but in Europe that is no problem at all. All have the Mennekes plug!

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I went the other way around. The Taycan charger is esthetically more pleasing than the universal mobile Tesla charger I was using. I installed the Porsche on the Nema 14-50 and in a pinch I can charge the Tesla with the included j1772 adapter .

yankeedoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
I don’t quite know what the previous poster meant, but Tesla uses a different charger connecter. You can get an adapter on Amazon that lets you use your home Tesla charger on your Taycan and you can take it with you and use Tesla destination chargers (not superchargers). But a Tesla charger will not fit a Taycan without an adapter no matter how many dip switches you flip. ;)

You want Tesla to J1772
What's this adapter on Amazon called?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
What's this adapter on Amazon called?
https://www.amazon.com/TeslaTap-Mini-Tesla-J-1772-Adapter/dp/B08T8YG63J

this adapter or (similar) let's a North American Tesla EVSE charge _ANY_ J-1772 North American EV.

it works with the following North American Tesla EVSE's

Tesla Wall Charger Gen1
Tesla Wall Charger Gen2
Tesla Wall Charger Gen3
Tesla Universal Mobile Charger (UMC) Gen 1 - 40 amp
Tesla Universal Mobile Charger (UMC) Gen 2 - 32 amp
Tesla Mobile Corded Charger - 40 amp

having one of these is good road warrior trip duty - since it will also allow you to use Tesla Destination chargers at hotels, golf courses, malls, etc…

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...and-useful-road-warrior-ev-charging-kit.6812/
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...charger-gen2-load-sharing-configuration.1994/

Last edited:

Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
Note by the way that Tesla's 3-phase mobile charger does not fully follow the Mennekes standard and is NOT compatible with non-Teslas. Connecting it to a Taycan will throw an error and can allegedly even damage the port if unlucky (not actually heard of any case of that actually happening, though).

That said, Tesla has released quite a few different revisions of the charger throughout the years, so maybe it isn't a problem anymore, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

Note that this only applies to the mobile charger (the one with a red CEE-plug in the end), not the home charger that is installed on the wall. The home charger does however have a Tesla only mode that can be configured for whatever reason. For public destination chargers, a red Tesla sign typically means that it's exclusive for Teslas, while a grey sign means anyone can charge.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Hi guys,

Which Tesla charger do you have (I don’t know which one could be called 380v) - mobile connector (if so which gen) or wall connector (also which gen)? Is it hardwired or plugged into a wall socket (if so, what kind of wall socket)?

yankeedoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
Which Tesla charger do you have (I don’t know which one could be called 380v) - mobile connector (if so which gen) or wall connector (also which gen)? Is it hardwired or plugged into a wall socket (if so, what kind of wall socket)?
I have this wall charger from Tesla: Tesla Wall Charger Gen1

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Note by the way that Tesla's 3-phase mobile charger does not fully follow the Mennekes standard and is NOT compatible with non-Teslas. Connecting it to a Taycan will throw an error and can allegedly even damage the port if unlucky (not actually heard of any case of that actually happening, though).

That said, Tesla has released quite a few different revisions of the charger throughout the years, so maybe it isn't a problem anymore, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

Note that this only applies to the mobile charger (the one with a red CEE-plug in the end), not the home charger that is installed on the wall. The home charger does however have a Tesla only mode that can be configured for whatever reason. For public destination chargers, a red Tesla sign typically means that it's exclusive for Teslas, while a grey sign means anyone can charge.
You are correct, the original Tesla 3 phase mobile UMC does not work with Taycan. They did not implement the correct protocol in it.

The new one that only has a single phase, but can have a 32 amp CEE plug works just fine at about 7.5 kW max.

The Tesla wall connector is also great at 3 phase, up to 22 kW if the Taycan has that option ticked. It is very easy to change a small micro switch in the wall connector and then it works universally. I have both and am extremely pleased. Luckily here in Rurope we have the CCS standard on both vehicles.

A size comparison picture between PMCC and present Tesla UMC.

Porsche Taycan Charge Taycan with Tesla home charger? DFADBD48-05E6-4D5B-B773-A26671547F76
Porsche Taycan Charge Taycan with Tesla home charger? 297E39E8-AD9C-4FAA-A50C-DD2D2C5520DA

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You are correct, the original Tesla 3 phase mobile UMC does not work with Taycan. They did not implement the correct protocol in it.

The new one that only has a single phase, but can have a 32 amp CEE plug works just fine at about 7.5 kW max.

The Tesla wall connector is also great at 3 phase, up to 22 kW if the Taycan has that option ticked. It is very easy to change a small micro switch in the wall connector and then it works universally. I have both and am extremely pleased. Luckily here in Rurope we have the CCS standard on both vehicles.

A size comparison picture between PMCC and present Tesla UMC.

DFADBD48-05E6-4D5B-B773-A26671547F76.jpeg
297E39E8-AD9C-4FAA-A50C-DD2D2C5520DA.jpeg
The only thing missing in this comparison are a picture of each on a scale, and a thermal image of each while charging at full rate. :)

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There is actually no difference in temperatures when charging. Remember this is Europe and with 3 phase at 11 kW. The PMCC cables are all cool at that level. Only 16 amp per phase. supply cable might be a few degrees warmer and might be possible to measure with an instrument, but insignificant.

The Tesla UMC only has one phase at 32 amp but runs cool.

The same at full 22 kW charging. Slightly warmer supply cable but nowhere hot. Could easily charge at 22 kW for 0 to 100% without issues. 32 amp per phase.

Benefit with the bags as seen is that the Tesla bag lies flat on the floor of the Frunk!

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have this wall charger from Tesla: Tesla Wall Charger Gen1
Tesla Tap Mini is your quickest and easiest solution (make sure you get one rated for your car's max current, so 60A minimum, 80A if you got the 19.2KW charger upgrade on your Taycan). You can use that adapter on trips with Tesla destination chargers too, and allows you to carry a Tesla Mobile Connector instead of Porsche PMC+/PMCC to save on space and weight for mobile charging.

The other way is to swap out the HPWC cable or even just the plug, though J1772 plugs are hard to come by. If converting, there should be a dip switch inside to switch the charge to Legacy Mode, which makes the Taycan start charging faster (1s vs. maybe 10 seconds) after plugging in. Without legacy mode the Taycan does not throw any errors, just takes longer to start charging (at least my Taycan does, it's a MY23 with 19.2KW onboard charger). When using TeslaTap adapter, legacy mode is not an issue as long as you plug the adapter in first, 10s before plugging into the Taycan.
Sponsored