Chargemaster Problem - Red Ring Of Death!

jammin88

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Huracan LP580-2 Spyder
Country flag
Hi guys,

Love the car.. however, having a problem with my Chargemaster 7kw home charger.

I had this charger installed 2.5 years ago and it has a tethered Type 1 lead which fitted my Mitsubishi Outlander fine.

Purchased a Type 1 to Type 2 adapter (this kind of thing; https://www.amazon.co.uk/DUOSIDA-Electric-Converter-Charging-IEC62196/dp/B085XSB38S/ ) - thinking that would solve my issue, but it doesn't work...

It all fits together fine, but when I plug in I just get a red ring on the charge port indicator, and on the screen on the car the battery symbol just changes from red to green. No error message... nothing.

Have now tried 3 different adapters, with no joy. The adapters are simple and well reviewed, so I don't think they are at fault.

Car charges fine on the Porsche granny charger, and also on my work 22kw charger.

I no longer have the Mitsubishi to 100% rule out my charger, but it was working fine a week or two ago.

Before I rip it off the wall and buy a new one... Anyone got any ideas? Or any way to find more info on the error if the car is giving me nothing?
Sponsored

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I wonder if there is a update to allow communication from the charger to the car. I bet the charger is fine, but the communication signal can’t get to or from the car due to the difference between the type 1 & 2 Comms signal. Not sure but sounds like above.

OP
OP

jammin88

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Huracan LP580-2 Spyder
Country flag
I wonder if there is a update to allow communication from the charger to the car. I bet the charger is fine, but the communication signal can’t get to or from the car due to the difference between the type 1 & 2 Comms signal. Not sure but sounds like above.
Hmm...! That certainly sounds plausible... but if that was the case why do they sell the adapters (which clearly do work in the vast majority of cases...!)

There’s only 4 cables in that plug... I can buy a new cable and swap it over, but don’t see how that’s any different continuity-wise than an adapter.

Bit of an update, I tried a third adapter today (a chunkier looking one with a small length of cable between the plugs), that seemed to work better.... the car locked in the cable and gave me a solid white ring this time - not red.... I can feel it preheating but it’s still not charging (centre console says ‘charger not connected’).

Weird....

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hmm...! That certainly sounds plausible... but if that was the case why do they sell the adapters (which clearly do work in the vast majority of cases...!)

There’s only 4 cables in that plug... I can buy a new cable and swap it over, but don’t see how that’s any different continuity-wise than an adapter.

Bit of an update, I tried a third adapter today (a chunkier looking one with a small length of cable between the plugs), that seemed to work better.... the car locked in the cable and gave me a solid white ring this time - not red.... I can feel it preheating but it’s still not charging (centre console says ‘charger not connected’).

Weird....
Why don’t you get chargmaster to switch it to TUPE 2 feather cable. Telling them you have a Taycan. If it still doesn’t work it becomes chargemasters problem.

OP
OP

jammin88

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Huracan LP580-2 Spyder
Country flag
I think a new charger is cheaper than getting their inflated engineers out to swap it...! Was just hoping to reuse existing infrastructure.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You could be right, do you have access to an alternative home charger, like your mates one? Might be worth a final check that it is not something in the car?

OP
OP

jammin88

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Huracan LP580-2 Spyder
Country flag
Yeah, car charges fine on my charger at work. Or the granny porsche charger

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’d swap it out pal, like you said your burn more time and money trying to figure out the adapter or charger inadequacies.

OP
OP

jammin88

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Huracan LP580-2 Spyder
Country flag
It’s the basic slow charger porsche give you (sorry, force you to pay for!)

elberk

First Name
Elber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5, Kia e-Niro
It’s the basic slow charger porsche give you (sorry, force you to pay for!)
Did they really sell you the old charger from the Panamera Hybrid with the Taycan? That's mad. Normally the Taycan comes with an 11 or 22kW "Granny charger".

OP
OP

jammin88

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Huracan LP580-2 Spyder
Country flag
I have the Porsche mobile charger connect.... the one with the touch screen etc.

That’s only on a 3 pin UK plug and rated for 10A, so that’s around 2kw or so?

How do you get 11kw out of it?

OP
OP

jammin88

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Huracan LP580-2 Spyder
Country flag
If I connect that charger with a 32A commando socket, will it allow me to set more than 10A charge current?

elberk

First Name
Elber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5, Kia e-Niro
I have the Porsche mobile charger connect.... the one with the touch screen etc.

That’s only on a 3 pin UK plug and rated for 10A, so that’s around 2kw or so?

How do you get 11kw out of it?
Normally by exchanging the cable. Can you post a photo of the charger's backlabel? It should show, what the technical maximum of the device itself is. I wonder if they really deliver completely different chargers to UK than to the rest of Europe.

Here is a video I found yesterday on youtube. It is done by Porsche Chester. And they show at least a blue industrial connector with the charger.

OP
OP

jammin88

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Huracan LP580-2 Spyder
Country flag
Ah, ok. So on the back of the charger it says it’s rated 22kw.

I do have a blue commando socket input cable that came with it - so that is 32A rated I believe.

32A, 240v gives around 7kw or so, so that sounds better!

My issue is though that the charger only lets me set a charge current between 6 and 10A.

If I plug it in on a 32A commando socket, will it let me set higher than 10A??
I don’t have such a socket to try, but will install one if I know that will work!

Porsche Taycan Chargemaster Problem - Red Ring Of Death! FFCC00B7-E515-4094-82B5-71639B71E587
Porsche Taycan Chargemaster Problem - Red Ring Of Death! 42A82F3D-C8F2-4DF6-9FD6-DD622E769C1C

Last edited: