Schlossj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Checking to see how folks experience has been with ChargePoint / EVGO and their fast DC chargers...planning a shortish 250 r/t adventure with one of these locations about mid-way. Thought is to top off on way up and back. Advice / experience / tips. Thanks!
Sponsored

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Checking to see how folks experience has been with ChargePoint / EVGO and their fast DC chargers...planning a shortish 250 r/t adventure with one of these locations about mid-way. Thought is to top off on way up and back. Advice / experience / tips. Thanks!
You mention CHAdeMO in your post title, which is a little confusing. While both ChargePoint and EVGo offer CHAdeMO DC Fast Chargers the Taycan cannot use that type of connector. (nor can most anything else outside of Nissan Leaf and Teslas with an adapter) The Taycan uses the CCS fast charge connector (which both ChargePoint and EVGo generally offer)

As for CCS fast chargers, I've used them without issue. Be sure you have both the ChargePoint and EVGo apps on your phone, and accounts created in advance. This will make the intiation process much quicker. I also have a ChargePoint RFID card which I use for a convenience charge at a lot of the Level 2 chargers they have around town at shopping centers and the like. On the subject of Apps, I recommend you have PlugShare as well, to find all the CCS DC Fast Chargers along your route.

While they probably have higher power somewhere, I think every EVGo CCS I've used has been a 50kW charger, so it's not nearly as fast as the 150s or 350s you'll find with Electrify America, but they still give you a fair bit of juice in a reasonable amount of time.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

Brent

OP
OP
Schlossj

Schlossj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
You mention CHAdeMO in your post title, which is a little confusing. While both ChargePoint and EVGo offer CHAdeMO DC Fast Chargers the Taycan cannot use that type of connector. (nor can most anything else outside of Nissan Leaf and Teslas with an adapter) The Taycan uses the CCS fast charge connector (which both ChargePoint and EVGo generally offer)

As for CCS fast chargers, I've used them without issue. Be sure you have both the ChargePoint and EVGo apps on your phone, and accounts created in advance. This will make the intiation process much quicker. I also have a ChargePoint RFID card which I use for a convenience charge at a lot of the Level 2 chargers they have around town at shopping centers and the like. On the subject of Apps, I recommend you have PlugShare as well, to find all the CCS DC Fast Chargers along your route.

While they probably have higher power somewhere, I think every EVGo CCS I've used has been a 50kW charger, so it's not nearly as fast as the 150s or 350s you'll find with Electrify America, but they still give you a fair bit of juice in a reasonable amount of time.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

Brent
Yes you are correct - Sorry for the confusion. The EVGO location shows CHAdeMO/ combo and indicates this is a CCS supported charging station. I have the ChargePoint app and it says it’s cross network with EVGO - but you still recommend both? See pic of my target charger - I assume this will work?
Porsche Taycan ChargePoint / EVGO and Fast CHAdeMO charging 249DE936-B6BB-4090-ACEB-ACB8CB48AB9F

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Yes you are correct - Sorry for the confusion. The EVGO location shows CHAdeMO/ combo and indicates this is a CCS supported charging station. I have the ChargePoint app and it says it’s cross network with EVGO - but you still recommend both? See pic of my target charger - I assume this will work?
249DE936-B6BB-4090-ACEB-ACB8CB48AB9F.png
Looks like you're all set!

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I've had very good luck with Chargepoint and EVgo over the years. They don't have 150kW+ chargers like Electrify America, most are 50 kW, but Charepoint does have some 125kW chargers going in.

Their RFID cards always seem to work. If you don't have the physical card, make sure to create a virtual card in your Apple or Android wallet on your phone. That way if you don't have cell service at the charger it will still allow you to connect.

Last recommendation is to check PlugShare and look at the ratings for those chargers to make sure people haven't had recent issues. This goes for any charger.

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
I've had very good luck with Chargepoint and EVgo over the years. They don't have 150kW+ chargers like Electrify America, most are 50 kW, but Charepoint does have some 125kW chargers going in.

Their RFID cards always seem to work. If you don't have the physical card, make sure to create a virtual card in your Apple or Android wallet on your phone. That way if you don't have cell service at the charger it will still allow you to connect.

Last recommendation is to check PlugShare and look at the ratings for those chargers to make sure people haven't had recent issues. This goes for any charger.
This is good advice, but I would note that EVGo doesn't support Apple Wallet, so you can't do offline RFID with your iPhone and EVGo. I strongly recommend getting the EVGo RFID card, as many of their locations are in garages with little to no cell service. Having the card has been the difference between charging and not charging on EVGo for me on a few occasions.

gasman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo
Country flag
I used the new FPL evolution charging stations at the FL turnpike rest stops. The offer both CCS and CHAdeMO charging fast charging. I charged from 10% to 90% in 14 minutes. It was 265kW charging. By the way, I got 260 miles of aggressive highway driving on 100% charge.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
I used a fast dc in lenoir nc, used it through the app worked great, it was free except a parking fee from the business and I think ChargePoint gave me a credit for that. I was going to use one in hickory nc, but did not read the fine print and found out it wasn’t. for public use, (read the fine print on the app).

gasman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo
Country flag
Is there an adapter that will allow the Taycan to use a Tesla charging station?

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag
Is there an adapter that will allow the Taycan to use a Tesla charging station?
Supercharger no, but a destination charger (like at a hotel or business) yes. See TeslaTap and Jdapter for quality adapters (and as @daveo4EV educated me, go for the 80amp to help future proof the adapter)

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I used the new FPL evolution charging stations at the FL turnpike rest stops. The offer both CCS and CHAdeMO charging fast charging. I charged from 10% to 90% in 14 minutes. It was 265kW charging. By the way, I got 260 miles of aggressive highway driving on 100% charge.
@gasman93 what part of the FL Turnpike did you find the high speed chargers? Looking at the FPL Evolution app, most of the chargers near me (South Florida) are showing max charging at 6.6KW.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
I found some on the app, the white circles are fast chargers

Porsche Taycan ChargePoint / EVGO and Fast CHAdeMO charging 83FE8464-7F47-41A2-B674-B9A732F2764D
Sponsored