DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I tried PIRM and quickly got rid of it because I was irritated with the popups offering route changes - just offer me the best route and leave it at that!

However, I am now curious how effective the default Porsche nav is with regard to charging.

Case in point: I used ABRP to map a trip from Frisco TX to Eureka Springs. It routed me through 3 different EA chargers for a total charging time of around 40 minutes for the trip.

I used the Porsche nav and it routed me through a non-EA charger at 30kW which was a 2.5 hour charge! Wat? The second charge was the same as my 3rd from ABRP, an EA close to my destination.

I have the checkbox set to prefer Porsche Charging Service.

I'm curious if PIRM would be smarter and might consider re-engaging it.

Anyone else found the POrsche nav to make suboptimal charging choices?
Sponsored

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
I tried PIRM and quickly got rid of it because I was irritated with the popups offering route changes - just offer me the best route and leave it at that!

However, I am now curious how effective the default Porsche nav is with regard to charging.

Case in point: I used ABRP to map a trip from Frisco TX to Eureka Springs. It routed me through 3 different EA chargers for a total charging time of around 40 minutes for the trip.

I used the Porsche nav and it routed me through a non-EA charger at 30kW which was a 2.5 hour charge! Wat? The second charge was the same as my 3rd from ABRP, an EA close to my destination.

I haven't really had these issues with PIRM but I'm out in West Texas where there aren't many charging options other than EA for several hundred miles in all directions. When I drove it to San Antonio last April it was pretty flawless, and more recently I took it to Phoenix and it worked just as well.

That said, I almost always run ABRP to get a "second opinion". It's been my experience however, that ABRP underestimates the Taycan's range and charging speed, and I often show up with way more range than it estimates and spend a lot less time charging as a result.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Does sound odd as PIRM shouldn't select slow chargers - preset to be >= 50kW

Also check all the other settings e.g. SOC at destination, drive mode (Range, Normal), fast route, avoid tolls etc to ensure NAV an ABRP are as similar as possible.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

I do not have PIRM installed. But the Navigator does exactly the same for me. It can plot a route to a 50 kW charger rather than a HPC just down the road. The detour can be a few km’s even. I set it to the same as you have and tried other options as well.

In a trip report I made it got a bit to close to comfort as it routed me to a 50 kW charger that was occupied and the next HPC (Ionity ) was just within range.

I now have a procedure to plan the overall route to my destination, and then include Ionity chargers as stopovers. These stopovers are chosen with the help of ABRP and then searched for in the cars navigation system. If you turn on the feature to see your range, you will see if the car thinks it is possible to make the stopover. The battery is then preheated before arriving at the HPC.

I have ABRP Premium subscription and after adjusting the reference consumption in the app over some trips, it now is quite accurate. There is also a possibility to have the cars actual SOC and consumption included. That is however another subscription and I do not know how well it works. ABRP will also adjust to the outside temperature and wind conditions. Might be a feature of the Premium subscription_

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag

Its likely different being in Europe but I have been using Porsche navigation recently in the UK for a few trips and I love it. It picks out various charging options based on what you want as a SOC on arrival but I just manually add in Ionity waypoints and as soon as they are selected all the pre-heating takes place to maximise charge at the Ionity stop. It even tells me its time to go rather than guessing how much charge I want. Best of all, at Ionity I just plug and go, no cards, no apps - just stop, plug in; charging starts; re-holster the charger and drive off...

The only issue I have had (and its not really an issue). It doesn't allow me to do a round trip - or I haven't figured it out as yet...

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I do not have PIRM installed. But the Navigator does exactly the same for me. It can plot a route to a 50 kW charger rather than a HPC just down the road. The detour can be a few km’s even. I set it to the same as you have and tried other options as well.
Thanks for this - I guess this is just how it is, using ABRP to plan the route and adding the chargers we want to use as waypoints is our best workaround I suppose!
Sponsored