charging at dealerships?

D’Roc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD
Country flag
One Porsche dealership in VA had a 50 kW charger, needed a sales person to activate it, but they were happy to do so. I actually haven't checked any of the three local dealerships in the Raleigh/Durham area. Or VW... or Audi...
I haven’t seen customer DCFC in either the Audi, Porsche, or Volkswagen Dealerships in Cary.
Sponsored

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
is the "Porsche Charge Card" a non-US thing? I honestly don't know what this is? In the US we have the "Charge NA" app that allows us to use the Electrify America stations for 30-min free sessions, however I don't have a Porsche Charge Card for dealerships.

I am under the impression/in the camp of Kort, that if you are hard-up for a charge, they will help you out. However, I would not count on it. Especially off-hours.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
is the "Porsche Charge Card" a non-US thing? I honestly don't know what this is? In the US we have the "Charge NA" app that allows us to use the Electrify America stations for 30-min free sessions, however I don't have a Porsche Charge Card for dealerships.

I am under the impression/in the camp of Kort, that if you are hard-up for a charge, they will help you out. However, I would not count on it. Especially off-hours.
Re: dealership charging, in my tesla days I once had to stop at a distant tesla service center for a minor repair and I was low on charge so I asked if they could give it a charge, they said their units were tied up and sent me to a supercharger about 10 miles away.
the moral is that until the porsche stores put their chargers out in front of their stores allowing easy access and are left on all the time you cannot depend on getting a charge at the dealerships.

OP
OP
smoothound

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Re: dealership charging, in my tesla days I once had to stop at a distant tesla service center for a minor repair and I was low on charge so I asked if they could give it a charge, they said their units were tied up and sent me to a supercharger about 10 miles away.
the moral is that until the porsche stores put their chargers out in front of their stores allowing easy access and are left on all the time you cannot depend on getting a charge at the dealerships.
Sure... there is no way I would rely on them - or any single charging station/option - but I will be making the same 270 mile trip regularly - with limited en-route charging options at present (I know this will improve) - So, knowing all the options would be important in my decision as to which EV to go for. Cheers

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I called my dealer two days ago and the switchboard person told me they just installed a "fast charger" in the parking lot, so I flew there to try it out and it's just a newly redesigned Porsche Level II charger, which doesn't make much sense in a parking lot at a dealership....

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I called my dealer two days ago and the switchboard person told me they just installed a "fast charger" in the parking lot, so I flew there to try it out and it's just a newly redesigned Porsche Level II charger, which doesn't make much sense in a parking lot at a dealership....
it is a bit of virtue signaling, "we support our EVs with a charger"
I agree a L2 unit is a bit pointless

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
My dealer has three level 2 chargers. All can only be accessed when the dealer is open. Two of them can be used without assistance but sometimes get ICEd by people going on test drives.

There is an Electrify America L3 charger about two miles up the road. I don't remember the exact speed, but it is definitely on the faster side.

FMO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD (MY21)
Country flag
Hi Folks, Please advise....

What are people's recent experiences of quick top-up charging at Porsche dealerships? It is something they offer in theory?

I guess demand outstrips supply by a margin?

Availability? Waiting? Allowed time on charge? Only in emergency? Do they mind? Are many 100kw plus? Free or Pay?

Any hints welcome - many thanks
Porsche West London allow either of their two 270kw chargers to be used whenever the dealership is open. On my first trip there I couldn’t get into the space as there was a boxster and a golf parked in the way! Since I complained the dealership to their credit have put green cones in the spaces to stop this … but surely there must be a better solution! And surely they must be able to engineer out of hours access … afterthought … would have expected a bit more planning especially given the dearth of super fast chargers …

TaterTex

First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Before I got my home charger installed my dealer in Plano, Texas would allow me to use their fast charger as well as their sister Audi dealership adjacent to them. The Audi charger was right next to a large tree where birds crapped all over my days old 4S. I took it straight to the Porsche dealer where they promptly washed it! Haha!

Anyway, the dealership had a loose policy about customers charging there and it was my salesman who got me charger access.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Its full title is: "Porsche Taycan Charging Card" which you receive in UK / Europe (at a minimum) to access the Ionity (and Porsche) world of charging at designated sites. Membership is free and in year 1 the charges for kwH is reduced by 50%. Nice perk if you can find somewhere to use it - I haven't as options are limited but not non-existent in my area.

Now that the local Porsche dealership has installed 150kW chargers (happening across UK) I can use my card there if I need too (assuming they are working - which they weren't for a number of weeks - and they're accessible). They don't yet appear in the Charging Planner / NAV and were installed some weeks ago. One small step at a time I guess....

smartymarti

First Name
Marti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s cross turismo
Country flag
It’s a great idea having the reduced rate but at 44p p minute parking charge it’s like showing you the cake that’s out of date, however the 320kw is still a nice charge speed

Last edited:

pauloamore

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan C4SCT
Country flag
It’s a great idea having the reduced rate but at 44p p minute parking charge it’s like showing you the cake that’s out of date
Yup. Crazy expensive. That said, I consider them as likely always available due to cost. I often pass Perth for example. I’ll always go to IONITY with a 2 mile longer journey. That said, if IONITY is full, I can always splash and dash with Porsche.
Sponsored