Charging at home (outside) without a Garage!

Lauryen828

First Name
Lauryen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hello All

I have a Taycan 4S! I do not have a garage so I had the Mobile Charge Connect installed outside on the side of my home! One of my neighbors told me I should purchase the charging cabinet. Does anyone else not have a garage and just have the charger installed outside of your home? Is there any concern if it rains etc. I live in Los Angeles, it does rain in SoCal (Despite what the song says) albeit not that much. My dealer wasn't able to give me a clear answer. Any advice and tips are greatly appreacited!
Sponsored

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hello All

I have a Taycan 4S! I do not have a garage so I had the Mobile Charge Connect installed outside on the side of my home! One of my neighbors told me I should purchase the charging cabinet. Does anyone else not have a garage and just have the charger installed outside of your home? Is there any concern if it rains etc. I live in Los Angeles, it does rain in SoCal (Despite what the song says) albeit not that much. My dealer wasn't able to give me a clear answer. Any advice and tips are greatly appreacited!
They sell outdoor chargers and plugs, etc.. I know many who use them.

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
No guarantee on this advice, but I thought someone had posted a picture of their Porsche charger outside and when someone else asked if this was safe, the rating on the PMCC was fine for outside? In the show your charging set up thread?

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
My daughter left her Audi eTron charger outside for 3 years with no issues, used it on 120 every night with an extension cord from the side of her house. It's pretty much the same as the PMCC.

The bag the charger came in is 100% identical to the bag the PMCC comes in.

OP
OP
Lauryen828

Lauryen828

First Name
Lauryen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
They sell outdoor chargers and plugs, etc.. I know many who use them.
I have the Porsche Charger Connect! I don’t have a garage and it’s mounted on the side of my house! I’m wondering if it’s water proof or do I need to do something different in case it rains. I asked Porsche if it was okay for outdoor use and the parts guy said, “I think so”! I love in Los Angeles so it doesn’t rain often but in the small chance it does I want to be prepared. Just wondering if anyone else has this same issue.

OP
OP
Lauryen828

Lauryen828

First Name
Lauryen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
My daughter left her Audi eTron charger outside for 3 years with no issues, used it on 120 every night with an extension cord from the side of her house. It's pretty much the same as the PMCC.

The bag the charger came in is 100% identical to the bag the PMCC comes in.
Awesome, thank you! Porsche had no clue!

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
I don’t know the weather rating of the Porsche mobile charger, however I installed a Chargepoint home charger at my ski cabin and it is rated for outside use and a wide range of temps. It also knows the rate schedule of your electrical supplier and provides a nice summary of the costs for charging the car by session, by month etc.

OP
OP
Lauryen828

Lauryen828

First Name
Lauryen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don’t know the weather rating of the Porsche mobile charger, however I installed a Chargepoint home charger at my ski cabin and it is rated for outside use and a wide range of temps. It also knows the rate schedule of your electrical supplier and provides a nice summary of the costs for charging the car by session, by month etc.
Thank you! I will look into that. I'd rather be safe than sorry

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hello All

It is IP55 rated (protected from dust and water ingress - Google it for a full explanation).

The Porsche dock is not waterproof but offers protection from the elements. Not mandated either that it is required.

Main thing is to protect the electrical supply (connectors) and proper earthing. Consult an electrician.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
Your neighbor might not want you attracting thieves....

OP
OP
Lauryen828

Lauryen828

First Name
Lauryen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
It is IP55 rated (protected from dust and water ingress - Google it for a full explanation).

The Porsche dock is not waterproof but offers protection from the elements. Not mandated either that it is required.

Main thing is to protect the electrical supply (connectors) and proper earthing. Consult an electrician.
Thank You very much
Sponsored