Charging at USA Dealers?

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
This article from 2018 says that Porsche was stating that USA “dealers will be expected to install at least two 350 kW chargers at each location, along with a buffer battery”.

I assume that this strategy has since been cast aside in favor of Electrify America, however are dealerships under any obligation to provide charging for Porsche owners who aren’t customers of that dealership?
Sponsored

Sampocketpc

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Also to add to that question, if you’re a customer at a Porsche dealership would they let you charge the battery on a regular basis for free?

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
Also to add to that question, if you’re a customer at a Porsche dealership would they let you charge the battery on a regular basis for free?
AFAIK ... yes, I believe that is an option. The local Porsche dealer in my area will grudgingly allow other EVs to use their facility, but they always give preference to Porsche owners. And it IS free.

That being said, they only have one mediocre Porsche-branded exterior charger, and it's almost always being used or ICEd. I never use it.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Yes. My dealer is installing fast chargers that will be completed by later this year. According to the GM they will be 350kw units.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
This article from 2018 says that Porsche was stating that USA “dealers will be expected to install at least two 350 kW chargers at each location, along with a buffer battery”.

I assume that this strategy has since been cast aside in favor of Electrify America, however are dealerships under any obligation to provide charging for Porsche owners who aren’t customers of that dealership?
They have already done this in UK. I originally thought they were 800V 150kW but apparently they are 350kW - 2 units at each of the dealerships. Fantastic if there isn't an ICE car hogging the space as per my dealers!!

vdr

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe a Taycan...
Country flag
What better way to further the adoption of EV use then to have the selling dealer network put in a couple of high speed charging units? I simply don't understand why many of the dealers in my area don't do this....

swhsv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The Porsche dealership in my city has installed a 350kW charger and makes it available to Taycan owners for free charging - but when the dealership is closed it’s behind a locked gate and not accessible..

OP
OP
satchurator

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
I simply don't understand why many of the dealers in my area don't do this....
While it might be in their interests, two obstacles might be the capital outlay (multiple $100Ks) and ability/willingness of the local powerco to implement any necessary electrical service upgrades. You could also argue that it would be in Porsche’s interests to help finance this but then they are already doing that indirectly in the US through the VW dieselgate settlement = Electrify America.

Last edited:

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
What better way to further the adoption of EV use then to have the selling dealer network put in a couple of high speed charging units? I simply don't understand why many of the dealers in my area don't do this....
There are two VW / Audi dealers in my metro area and one Porsche dealer.

The VW dealers each have a L2 & L3 charger, and Porsche has a single L2 available for customer / public use.

I have given up trying to top up at any of these stations. Either they're broken or ICE'd. It's an exercise in frustration. Double-checking on PlugShare shows other people feeling the same.

My point is this: we're just on the cusp of a tsunami in automotive change: why don't dealers take advantage of the marketing / foot-traffic that free and working chargers would provide??? I'd gladly walk around the showroom for 20 minutes while my car was charging.

But instead I leave pissed off. For crap's sake: they've already installed the chargers and laid out the capital investment! Instead they don't give a flying !$*% if they're OUT OF ORDER, or better yet, carelessly ICED'd with a Dodge minivan or passenger shuttle. * groan *

Talk about missed opportunities. This boggles my mind.

Reactions: vdr

vdr

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe a Taycan...
Country flag
I wasn't being disingenuous in regards to the aforementioned but, perhaps, I wasn't clear enough. Of course the manufacturer should subsidize this in some way and not have the actual dealership bear the inherent (total) cost of same. A cooperative agreement with EA locations is all well and good but I would think that well maintained L2/3 charging stations located at all/most of the dealerships would go a long way towards postulating a manufacturers commitment to the EV architecture. If, as you say, the surrounding electrical infrastructure can support it....

It's not only a convenience for current customers its a grand marketing tool. What better way to have a captive audience to sell to?

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I charged at the experience centre at Silverstone last week and nothing’s appeared in my charging history in the app (yet). It couldn’t possibly be free, could it?

OP
OP
satchurator

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
I wasn't being disingenuous in regards to the aforementioned but, perhaps, I wasn't clear enough. Of course the manufacturer should subsidize this in some way and not have the actual dealership bear the inherent (total) cost of same. A cooperative agreement with EA locations is all well and good but I would think that well maintained L2/3 charging stations located at all/most of the dealerships would go a long way towards postulating a manufacturers commitment to the EV architecture. If, as you say, the surrounding electrical infrastructure can support it....

It's not only a convenience for current customers its a grand marketing tool. What better way to have a captive audience to sell to?
I agree with you. There are good arguments for Porsche doing this. I think it will come. Note the Porsche-specific European network, and their US destination charging partnership initiative.
Sponsored