OP
Klepper

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
It's about 17 cents/kWh here too, plus it jumps to 23 cents/kWh after you use 350 kWh in a month. That was another reason I decided to only use my charger as an emergency backup or for topping off before a road trip.
My 8.4c any time of day for any quantity feels pretty cheap now!

Here is a graph of my pattern of use from my smart meter. You can see the big use at night where the car is charging, but there is a lot of use during the day as well.

Porsche Taycan Charging Dilemma - Fast or Slow? energy use.PNG
Sponsored

Last edited:

mokre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s
Country flag
Keep mind that rapidly charging the car often can have an impact on battery longevity. Given that I would prefer to charge at home at a slower rate where possible.

I personally use the fast chargers about once a week but that's because I don't have a charger in my apartment complex so I have fewer choices when it comes to charging.

OP
OP
Klepper

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Keep mind that rapidly charging the car often can have an impact on battery longevity. Given that I would prefer to charge at home at a slower rate where possible.

I personally use the fast chargers about once a week but that's because I don't have a charger in my apartment complex so I have fewer choices when it comes to charging.
Good point! But as W1NGE pointed out, we have an 8 year battery warranty that is not dependent on charging speed. So it might not matter if you don't plan on keeping the car that long.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
I dont really think would hurt to try it out. Sounds like you are intrigued by the idea so maybe give it a try... if you dont find it inconvienent then great... you'll save yourself a few $.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You have an 8 year battery warranty that is not dependent on charging speed - will you keep the car for 8 years, probs not, torque up the amps and go for it!
iirc, the warrantee is only that the battery will have at least 70 percent of original capacity, not that it won’t be affected.

secondly, there is no need to torquing up any amps if it can charge slowly while i am sleeping.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
My current contract has an energy use charge of $0.0846/kWh (energy+delivery charge),
Lucky you! I pay about $.19 kwh 24/7, though I was notified by my electric company that time-of-use metering is coming "soon".

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
Lucky you! I pay about $.19 kwh 24/7, though I was notified by my electric company that time-of-use metering is coming "soon".
You should be able to get TOU from PSEGLI if you are on Long Island. I had a smart meter installed and have been using their overnight rate for months. Day rate is 110%, 11PM-6AM is 60%.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I had a smart meter installed and have been using their overnight rate for months. Day rate is 110%, 11PM-6AM is 60%.
I'll check but we had the smart meter installed a few months ago but have not heard about 'night rates'.

That said, I charge about once a week and spend around $60 per month to charge my cars (my previous car was a BMW i3). A few years ago I installed a power meter at the circuit breaker box so I can accurately determine the cost for charging:

https://www.amazon.com/Current-Amperage-Voltmeter-Multimeter-Transformer/dp/B07JB9B2QL

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
I'll check but we had the smart meter installed a few months ago but have not heard about 'night rates'.

That said, I charge about once a week and spend around $60 per month to charge my cars (my previous car was a BMW i3). A few years ago I installed a power meter at the circuit breaker box so I can accurately determine the cost for charging:

https://www.amazon.com/Current-Amperage-Voltmeter-Multimeter-Transformer/dp/B07JB9B2QL
Rate 193. Just call and they'll put you on it. You can monitor your usage of your smart meter via the website as well.
Sponsored