Charging immediately to 85%

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Is there a way to get the Taycan to charge immediately but only to 85%?

I’ve set the profile with a target departure time of 0700 every day but if the car has enough charge not to require the charge to begin straight away then the car will wait until it needs to start charging.

I want the car to start immediately charging and be on its way to 85%. Can it be done?
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Is there a way to get the Taycan to charge immediately but only to 85%?

I’ve set the profile with a target departure time of 0700 every day but if the car has enough charge not to require the charge to begin straight away then the car will wait until it needs to start charging.

I want the car to start immediately charging and be on its way to 85%. Can it be done?
Yes. Use the General profile only and set to 85%. No timer and no other profile should be active. Charging will commence straight away and when 85% is reached it will pause.

OP
OP
tutis

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Thank you both for your quick reply. I’ve just had a Wallbox Pulsar plus installed and the car‘s ””“probing“ of the power to calculate when it will need to start charging is not playing nice at all with the charger. the Charger itself is on a shared power network and is probably checking with the network control unit how much power it can send to the car, but by the time it gets an answer and sends something to the car the car times out. All of this takes just 5 seconds or so and the car repeated the probe a few times and eventually throws an error…. very frustrating

with your suggestion I won’t get the night tariff all the way but at least the car will reliably charge…

OTPSkipper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune Blue Taycan
Country flag
. I’ve just had a Wallbox Pulsar plus installed and the car‘s ””“probing“ of the power to calculate when it will need to start charging is not playing nice at all with the charger. the Charger itself is on a shared power network and is probably checking with the network control unit how much power it can send to the car, but by the time it gets an answer and sends something to the car the car times out. All of this takes just 5 seconds or so and the car repeated the probe a few times and eventually throws an error…. very frustrating
This was reported on another thread. They had two wallbox that were sharing power. Same problem. I would start with raising the issue to pulsar. Let them root cause the problem.

OP
OP
tutis

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
So I followed the recommendations to set the general profile to 85% and remove the timers etc.

I made these changes on the web portal and it worked fine. The car charged and this morning had achieved the target 85%. Great.

However, the previous timer with 85%target charge for 0700 is back, and the general timer reverted to 25%. Obviously a bug from Porsche, another one. Any idea how to fix this other than changing it every time?

@OTPSkipper thanks for the heads up. I’ll try and find the thread but if you find it please post the link. I’ll contact the Wallbox manufacturer but I suspect this is again a Porsche side problem as the reviews I’ve read about the Wallbox were all great, and no issues with the power sharing. It may be that Porsche has its own tight requirements for response time that are nonstandard….

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
So I followed the recommendations to set the general profile to 85% and remove the timers etc.

I made these changes on the web portal and it worked fine. The car charged and this morning had achieved the target 85%. Great.

However, the previous timer with 85%target charge for 0700 is back, and the general timer reverted to 25%. Obviously a bug from Porsche, another one. Any idea how to fix this other than changing it every time?

@OTPSkipper thanks for the heads up. I’ll try and find the thread but if you find it please post the link. I’ll contact the Wallbox manufacturer but I suspect this is again a Porsche side problem as the reviews I’ve read about the Wallbox were all great, and no issues with the power sharing. It may be that Porsche has its own tight requirements for response time that are nonstandard….
Try to set the General profile and delete the Timer in your car. Could be that the web portal did not communicate properly with the car this time. Once you have set it up in the car, check the information in the web portal. It should be the same, but sometimes there seems a glitch in the communication.

Seems like Porsche and the Wallbox manufacturer needs to do some interoperability tests. Have you tried to contact the manufacturer of the Wallbox?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Once a profile is enabled it will remain active until you manually disable it.

To avoid issues with communications make all the settings in the car via the PCM. The car will sync to the cloud when able.

Timing can be controlled to take advantage of cheaper tariffs BUT with your use case you wanted to start charging immediately to 85%.

To fine tune disable the general profile and use your own location based profile and set minimum to 85%. Add to this ta timer for the period needed and target needed >85%).

To be honest you should only need a 25% profile and a departure timer to control the start and end of the session. You should not need a charge of 85% before timers etc take over.

OP
OP
tutis

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Once a profile is enabled it will remain active until you manually disable it.

To avoid issues with communications make all the settings in the car via the PCM. The car will sync to the cloud when able.

Timing can be controlled to take advantage of cheaper tariffs BUT with your use case you wanted to start charging immediately to 85%.

To fine tune disable the general profile and use your own location based profile and set minimum to 85%. Add to this ta timer for the period needed and target needed >85%).

To be honest you should only need a 25% profile and a departure timer to control the start and end of the session. You should not need a charge of 85% before timers etc take over.
My PCM has been erratically connecting to the Porsche servers for navigation, online radio etc. and this may have been a part in why the settings reverted. However the car accepted the change I made through the portal last night for general profile and timers, and was reporting the updated charge. afaik there are two modems in the car, one for general PCM, and the other for more vital systems. One of these two was not working for me and has now started working again.

i agree with your recommendation about needing only the 25% general profile + timers. However as I explained the Taycan refuses to play nice with the wallbox pulsar plus when load sharing is enabled. Another poster on this forum has detailed a similar issue this week forum. The charger works fine with all other electric cars, except Taycan. Of course. The general 85% profile is the only solution I have at the moment to charge the car without exceeding 85% charge. All other combinations of timers whether on the car side or the charger side fail.

The engineers at Porsche can calculate 300 times per second what torque needs to be applied to the torque vectoring module, and how in real time it regulates power applied, and brakes when needed, but they cannot get the LTE module to reliably work, cannot get PCM to remember radio settings or charging profiles, cannot get the car to communicate with charger using established standards. There really are two tiers of engineers at Porsche and the ones that are not on the chassis or drivetrain are really the B team. I cannot believe how many bugs still exist and are reported by so many of us on this forum. Porsche cannot have not experienced these bugs before shipping, and must be aware of it now but yet again no communication and no fixes in place. Some of these bugs have been outstanding for nearly a year. It’s inexcusable at any price point, and even less at these premium prices.

/ rant over

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
afaik there are two modems in the car, one for general PCM, and the other for more vital systems.
This is one of my concerns as a future Taycan owner. If having a 3g or 4g signal is essential for some things to function I will be expecting these sorts of problems at 2 of the 3 relatives I regualrly visit who have no 'phone signal at their farms.
Hopefully they correct themselves once they are in an area getting a strong enough signal.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
This is one of my concerns as a future Taycan owner. If having a 3g or 4g signal is essential for some things to function I will be expecting these sorts of problems at 2 of the 3 relatives I regualrly visit who have no 'phone signal at their farms.
Hopefully they correct themselves once they are in an area getting a strong enough signal.
Sometimes it does and other times it does not. Seems the system gets tied in knots every so often. See also the issues @tigerbalm had on his latest trip.

But I agree with @tutis , how difficult can this be to get correct. Any modern mobile telephone can handle this all the time. Can you imaging waking up in the morning and there is no way your mobile will connect to the cellular network? I do not think that has jhappened once in the last 20 years. Porsche probably have bought in the absoluteley cheapest LTE modem for the Taycan.

It is totally unacceptable to have any of the connectivity issues in todays networks. Even if you would be in an area where the operators have no coverage the phones reconnect as soon as there is a signal.

OP
OP
tutis

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Sometimes it does and other times it does not. Seems the system gets tied in knots every so often. See also the issues @tigerbalm had on his latest trip.

But I agree with @tutis , how difficult can this be to get correct. Any modern mobile telephone can handle this all the time. Can you imaging waking up in the morning and there is no way your mobile will connect to the cellular network? I do not think that has jhappened once in the last 20 years. Porsche probably have bought in the absoluteley cheapest LTE modem for the Taycan.

It is totally unacceptable to have any of the connectivity issues in todays networks. Even if you would be in an area where the operators have no coverage the phones reconnect as soon as there is a signal.
To extend your analogy; imagine waking up and your phone having completely reset. No mail accounts, WhatsApp gone, etc. No way to reboot your phone without taking it apart, or bringing it in for service.

If you happen to go outside coverage for a few minutes (eg in the underground) then expect to not always find signal again, or for your phones settings to randomly reset or revert to those from last week… you’d be incensed with a $500 phone that had these issues.
But Porsche thinks that these issues on a $150k car is perfectly fine and they put their hands over their ears and sing “lalalala” whenever someone tries bringing it up

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Here is just some general info I've managed to gleam.

afaik there are two modems in the car, one for general PCM, and the other for more vital systems.
This was definitely true for Porsche car's before PCM 6.0 (i.e. Taycan) - where for example PVTS+ was its own sealed unit and had its own modem and SIM card. However, from what I can find – car's with PCM 6.0 architecture – only have a single modem in the car and all external data connection is routed through this.

That makes sense from a cost management perspective but its currently terrible because of the unreliability of the modem.

If you look on the Porsche regulatory page "Information related to Radio Equipment Directive 2014/53/EU" at the Used Frequency Bands and max. Transmission Power (PDF; 1,9 MB) file, you'll see that the "Communications Box" in the Taycan is called "CONBOX-HIGH".

CONBOX-HIGH appears to be a common VW product manufactured by a company called
HARMAN BECKER in Karlsbad, Germany. This company is owned by Samsung:

https://www.lamborghini.com/sites/i...022/communication_unit/CONBOX-HIGH_EU_DoC.pdf

It looks something like this:

Porsche Taycan Charging immediately to 85% 1647166817864

Here is an Audi Technical Services Bulletin that describes how this unit fits in with the wider MIB3 (i.e PCM) architecture:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10183468-0001.pdf

Porsche Taycan Charging immediately to 85% Screenshot 2022-03-13 at 10.23.15

Porsche Taycan Charging immediately to 85% Screenshot 2022-03-13 at 10.24.02

FWIW, Audi puts out a lot more info on MIB3 than Porsche does. PCM 6.0 is Porsche's "marketing name" for MIB3 - which is the underlying VW/Audi technology.

And here is an Audi service bulletin from 2020 that seems to describe a very familiar issue with this unit not "waking up" correctly after sleeping:

Technical Services Bulletin – Vehicle cannot be reached

So it feels like various brands of VW have all been facing down similar issues – but I have not yet seen anything concrete from Porsche on acknowledging or resolving the unreliable communications that most Taycan owners – regardless if they realise it or not – have experienced.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
You should be fine - the default go to control point is within the PCM and forget the apps. Remote access via the app is not an essential requirement - inconvenient at times may be but that's it. Remote control of climate and start and end control of an AC charging session is not essential either - simply have your profiles (3 locational + 1 general non-location specifc) and timers (you can have 4 of each) set for charging overnight when remote and signal issues prevail - it will be a doddle.
Sponsored