Charging Infrastructure Discussion and Solutions Thread, would like your input!

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
All,

I started this in the New England sub-forum as there is where my issues were, but it is really expanding to the whole country and see lots of articles in Canada and in the U.K. as well. It would be great if you want to chime in on ideas, as I view this as a critical aspect to find a way to keep maintenance current on existing stations that are not getting the attention they deserve, especially in the critical cold months.
I view this as the 'missing link' to EV's being successful (which I want very much) and could use everyone's help on this as it is all of our futures!
Here is the original link, if you would be so kind as to impart some wisdom and opine:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...ssues-in-the-northeast-this-winter-2022.8970/

Thanks,
Sponsored

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
It will be interesting to see if the relevance of charging stations increases if more and more restrictions and costs are placed on charging at home. If EVs continue to grow rapidly, I’m guessing power companies will be forced to put the clamps on charging at home. Not just from lower demands but also due to lobbyists for the fuel companies and politicians missing out on their precious gas tax money. They’re going to start looking for ways to squeeze some more blood from the rock.

What I’m implying is that a big part of the reason EV charging stations are neglected is because they don’t get enough use. There is no way EA is profitable and it only exists because of a punishment on VW Group because of their emissions scandal. Every EV charging station I go to is perpetually empty. They’re only used by road trippers right now.

OP
OP
TycanNewHampshire

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
I don't have any empirical data other than two quick articles I pulled.
First stated U.S. driving has decreased by 2/3 vs pre-pandemic. I also can't correlate this to the majority of workers working from home, for now. But I think it is safe to say there is some causation happening here. https://www.instituteforenergyresea...ll-by-two-thirds-due-to-coronavirus-pandemic/

Second is from a global view from Wayz on a global scale, indicating a 60% reduction in miles traveled. https://venturebeat.com/2020/04/15/waze-reports-60-drop-in-miles-driven-globally-during-pandemic/

I understand your point and am not asking them to scale up new sites that has a DCF financial model that can be wildly inaccurate to predict based on the state of business and leisure travel..

However, I do think that they own a service level agreement to vehicle manufacturers where they engage in a strategic partnership for a particular make/model as this ability to 'access and use this 'insert for your partner' goes into the buying decision of ensuring that the Vehicle Mfg and charging partner have both a service and fiduciary responsibility to one another and ensure that the current network (without expansion sites) are functional, repaired in a timely manner, etc. Otherwise, there will be delirious feedback loops to the car-purchasing individual/entity that will simply use the free market and chose a different car if promise does not become a reality, on a consistent basis.
Sponsored