Charging issue at Electrify America location - session would abruptly stop after a minute or two

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I wanted to survey the forum to see if anyone had experienced the same thing that I did today. I took my 4 day old Taycan 4s to the Electrify America location not too far from my house to experiment with the charging app. I had no issues getting mulitple sessions started, but charging would stop abruptly after a minute or two. I tried two different chargers and the same thing happened on each one. The car was only charged to 60%, so I am not sure why charging would stop. Any feedback on this issued from the group?

Porsche Taycan Charging issue at Electrify America location - session would abruptly stop after a minute or two image0
Sponsored

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
Any feedback on this issued from the group?
This looks different than what's happening to me, since my charge session never gets going - it fails during the handshake. Do you get any error from the charger?

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
The car may have an existing profile that limits charging to 60%. I would try deleting the profile(s). Did you try Direct Charging? Please keep us posted.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
The car may have an existing profile that limits charging to 60%. I would try deleting the profile(s). Did you try Direct Charging? Please keep us posted.
When you plug into a DC charger it should override the AC profiles.

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This looks different than what's happening to me, since my charge session never gets going - it fails during the handshake. Do you get any error from the charger?
@dnanian: I don't get an error message from the charger. The handshake occurs, chagrinning initiates, and then abruptly stops after a minute or two. I am not sure exactly what is going, but I am going to run an experiment later this week. I will burn off 40% of the battery throughout the next few days and try again. I will go to a different EA charger and try the Charging NA app. If I get a repeat to the abrupt stopping in charging after a minute, then I will try using my regular EA account via the EA app to see if I can charge that way. That way I can narrow it down to the Charging NA app or the car.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
That’s really frustrating mate. I’d hate to be in the position as you are losing confidence and have to stay with car during every DC charging episode. Not clever. Nightmare.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Porsche leaving this to 3rd parties is increasingly looking like a bad decision - if chargers are not reliable they might as well not exist.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
As @wemet stated, the Profiles and Timers are always ignored when using a DC Fast charger. DC Fast charging is always the equivalent of “Direct Charging”.

I saw one charging station in New Hampshire behave that way. It would charge for a minute or three then quit. All other stations at that location worked correctly.

Be sure to call EA and report the behaviors. If it is a failure like NH, then their technician might not be able to reproduce it (since their test equipment registers a Pass to the test after 7 seconds).

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
In your screenshot, all of the charging sessions ended with $0.00. Is it possible this is an account issue rather than a technical issue? Did you try both the EA app and the Porsche app?

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In your screenshot, all of the charging sessions ended with $0.00. Is it possible this is an account issue rather than a technical issue? Did you try both the EA app and the Porsche app?
@Genau: that is the next step in the investigatory process. I am going to charge at a different EA location next time and try to charge again from the Charge NA (Porsche) app. If I get the same failures, then I will try to initiate a session from my EA app and see what happens. If I still get the failure, I will try the 50kw EvGo charger at my local REI to see what happens. I am at 60% of charge now, and will let the car get down to 25% before trying to charge at an EA location.

Once I start working through these scenarios, I will identify whether it is is the Charge NA (Porsche) app, EA, or the car. Looks like part of my Saturday will be spent playing with apps, chargers, and cars!

Td78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Genau: that is the next step in the investigatory process. I am going to charge at a different EA location next time and try to charge again from the Charge NA (Porsche) app. If I get the same failures, then I will try to initiate a session from my EA app and see what happens. If I still get the failure, I will try the 50kw EvGo charger at my local REI to see what happens. I am at 60% of charge now, and will let the car get down to 25% before trying to charge at an EA location.

Once I start working through these scenarios, I will identify whether it is is the Charge NA (Porsche) app, EA, or the car. Looks like part of my Saturday will be spent playing with apps, chargers, and cars!
I’m having a ton of trouble too. Another option you could consider is call EA and ask them to start a free charge. This has worked for me at both the Golden and Frisco chargers when none of my Porsche or EA apps would let me start a charge. Had my issue for two weeks and supposedly someone is still looking into it. PCNA thinks it’s a problem with my Porsche account, but it’s not fixed yet.

If you figure out the cause of your issue, please post.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
This seems to be a common issue - there seemed to be some problems initiating charging also on Ionity in Europe (the Norway to Spain trip on YouTube), though solved by calling the support line. This really needs to work flawlessly the vast majority of the time for reliable travelling. Hope they fix it soon.

One option is that Porsche NA dealers install the high-power stations and actually make them available to the public (for a fee obviously). The 2 dealers in Minneapolis / St Paul don't have it. No idea when they will - one year ago they were thinking this spring. Someone posted here that Porsche mothership is late in delivering the high-power DC chargers.....

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wanted to follow up to share that I was able to connect to EA chargers, and successfully charge. I went to a different charger location - a 150kw EA charger not far from my house. Before I went, I reset the Charging NA app to ensure that there was nothing being communicated from the App to EA to limit charging on my car. I have a couple of pictures in case anyone is interested.
Porsche Taycan Charging issue at Electrify America location - session would abruptly stop after a minute or two 20200619_190755
Porsche Taycan Charging issue at Electrify America location - session would abruptly stop after a minute or two 20200619_191012
Porsche Taycan Charging issue at Electrify America location - session would abruptly stop after a minute or two 20200619_190100
Porsche Taycan Charging issue at Electrify America location - session would abruptly stop after a minute or two 20200619_185419

Botox

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Cayenne TGT, 20 Taycan TurboS, 22 M5c
Country flag
Just making sure you have your car turned off during the charging process. The first couple of times I used EA chargers, if I left the car on during the charging process it would stop after a few minutes.

Rkvet27

First Name
Ratul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I wanted to follow up to share that I was able to connect to EA chargers, and successfully charge. I went to a different charger location - a 150kw EA charger not far from my house. Before I went, I reset the Charging NA app to ensure that there was nothing being communicated from the App to EA to limit charging on my car. I have a couple of pictures in case anyone is interested.
20200619_190755.jpg
20200619_191012.jpg
20200619_190100.jpg
20200619_185419.jpg
I’m glad it worked. I’ve had constant issues getting various chargers to work. I keep getting a ‘vehicle_proxcan_error’ on the charging screen after initiating a charge. Charging only lasts a few seconds. When you say you reset the Porsche App, what exactly did you do? Thx.