Charging Issue

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Recently, my home charger, 50 amp fuse, 240 V will charge for an hour, maybe 10KW and say charge completed. The charge limit is set to charge to 85% and it takes several tries to get close to that. There are no other limiters in the car or on the external wall unit. The dealer said that with my charger, it charged normally. I have tried both charger ports on the car. Does anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored

Jsteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am having this same issue. It charges for somewhere around an hour and stops. Very frustrating. These charging “stops” didn’t happen until the I got the latest software update about 6 weeks ago. In the first 5 months I had the car I charged almost every night and never had this issue. Porsche service has not been helpful.

dtranquillo

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had this same problem after I completed the WMA5 upgrade (both car and charger update) back in May/June. The car would only charge for 45 minutes or so, with around 10-13KW charge completed. I took it to my service center and they found that a section of the charging cable was overheating. This was causing the on-board charger to shut-down due to thermal overload (not sure if thermal specifications were updated with the update - but it seems like it). They ordered the new charging cable and I have an appointment tomorrow to get it replaced on my charger. My Taycan charges just fine on my Mustart mobile charger - so it definitely looks like a Porsche charger issue.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Suggested debug step: If this is an overheating cable issue, throttling the charger to half speed could help charge the car longer (though at half the speed). If it still shuts down after the same amount of time, then something else is likely at play here.

RichJ

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2015 BMW228ix, 2021 Audi Q7
Country flag
I had a similar problem. See under previous post”Novel charging problem”.
For me it was an “MVW2” valve that was not functional with resulting overheating during the AC charging process. I could only charge for 5 minutes then charging shut off. The dealer figured it out, replaced the faulty valve and it has been fine.

OP
OP
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I am having this same issue. It charges for somewhere around an hour and stops. Very frustrating. These charging “stops” didn’t happen until the I got the latest software update about 6 weeks ago. In the first 5 months I had the car I charged almost every night and never had this issue. Porsche service has not been helpful.
I lowered my charging amps on the wall unit from 40 to 30amps and I think it solved the problem. Bob

Jsteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I lowered my charging amps on the wall unit from 40 to 30amps and I think it solved the problem. Bob
Robert, I did this and have not experienced any further issues. I do think it is a cable/temperature problem exacerbated by a software update to my mobile charger.

thanks again!

ukleinschmidt

First Name
Uwe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I can only use direct charging at home. The moment I am trying to use a profile it doesn’t charge because it is permanently in pause saying a departure timer is configured. But no such timer is configured. Any help Is appreciated!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I can only use direct charging at home. The moment I am trying to use a profile it doesn’t charge because it is permanently in pause saying a departure timer is configured. But no such timer is configured. Any help Is appreciated!
Suggest to remove all timers and profiles via PCM, My Porsche and Porsche Connect App to ensure all bases are covered.

Once done start over but typically you will need both a timer and a profile to manage start and end times.

Be sure to disable Direct Change also once done.

ukleinschmidt

First Name
Uwe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Suggest to remove all timers and profiles via PCM, My Porsche and Porsche Connect App to ensure all bases are covered.

Once done start over but typically you will need both a timer and a profile to manage start and end times.

Be sure to disable Direct Change also once done.
Thanks, I realized that too, after several trial and error attempts. A profile seems to work only in conjunction with a departure timer.
this app sucks at so many user experience levels, it seems there was no money left to hire a team building an app, which matches the standards Porsche has for their vehicles. Or worse, the mechanical engineers specified the app.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Thanks, I realized that too, after several trial and error attempts. A profile seems to work only in conjunction with a departure timer.
this app sucks at so many user experience levels, it seems there was no money left to hire a team building an app, which matches the standards Porsche has for their vehicles. Or worse, the mechanical engineers specified the app.
Honestly, from all I've seen on the charging UX it really looks like it was left up to the engineers implementing the back end to just implement a UI, hence the UI seems to match the under the hood implementation. In other words, user experience was never designed at all. If same engineers were to design a UI for saving a file, rather than one "Save" button they would have 3 buttons "Open", "Write", "Close", and each button would open a dialog box with options matching the API parameters, such as "overwrite", "append", "block size", etc. :rolleyes:

Sadly, this happens a lot in engineering organizations. I have in past been responsible for convincing managements that we needed a UX team in addition to an engineering team.
Sponsored