Charging issues

Swiffywagbags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ (on order), Range Rover Evoque (wife's car) Previous car BMW M3 competition
Country flag
So I am having charging issues... I had a type 2 charger installed at home last week. I plugged this into the car today and it wouldn't recognise the charger, the battery symbol on the centre screen just stayed grey and the light inside the charging port just flashed white and eventually turned red. I assumed an issue with the charger and tried the mobile charger connect supplied with the car. This worked for about an hour and then decided to stop charging. The screen on the charger connect went blank and wont turn off, there was no light on in the charge port and the battery symbol on the centre screen in the car was red. I now cant seem to turn on the charger connect. Any ideas???
Not filling me with confidence as its the first time I have tried to charge and only picked the car up yesterday evening.
Current charge is 68% and I have max set to 85% in the general charging profile.
Sponsored

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So I am having charging issues... I had a type 2 charger installed at home last week. I plugged this into the car today and it wouldn't recognise the charger, the battery symbol on the centre screen just stayed grey and the light inside the charging port just flashed white and eventually turned red. I assumed an issue with the charger and tried the mobile charger connect supplied with the car. This worked for about an hour and then decided to stop charging. The screen on the charger connect went blank and wont turn off, there was no light on in the charge port and the battery symbol on the centre screen in the car was red. I now cant seem to turn on the charger connect. Any ideas???
Not filling me with confidence as its the first time I have tried to charge and only picked the car up yesterday evening.
Current charge is 68% and I have max set to 85% in the general charging profile.
How about the good ole rebootskie. Did you try unplugging the charger connect and plugging back in? I would think you would have but you didn't say...

OP
OP
Swiffywagbags

Swiffywagbags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ (on order), Range Rover Evoque (wife's car) Previous car BMW M3 competition
Country flag
How about the good ole rebootskie. Did you try unplugging the charger connect and plugging back in? I would think you would have but you didn't say...
Yes tried that too :oops:

Matt8442

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Turbo, Cayman GTS, Taycan 4S, Taycan Turbo S.
Country flag
Have you tried setting the profile to ”direct charge only” to see if that works? Also are you able to remove the charging cable from the car or is it locked in place?

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
You say the screen went blank, and won’t turn off. Do you mean that it won’t turn on? If the screen is blank, it sounds like it is off. Did you check the breaker?

Matt8442

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes tried that too :oops:
Just looking at earlier threads, some people have said that some type 2 chargers did not work with the Taycan, which one are you using? Also regards PMCC any chance it has overheated, or like Dave T has said perhaps flipped a circuit breaker or fuse?

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Just looking at earlier threads, some people have said that some type 2 chargers did not work with the Taycan, which one are you using? Also regards PMCC any chance it has overheated, or like Dave T has said perhaps flipped a circuit breaker or fuse?
This is patently false. ANY level 2 "charger" should work just fine. There is nothing magic about them. They aren't even "chargers". Effectively, they are only a simple relay which provides raw electrical power to the car. The actual "charger" is, in fact, actually built into the car.

The whole point of an EV is to be able to be charged with any industry standard (J1772) "charger". It would be pretty pointless if you couldn't charge with any of them. Does your ICE vehicle only use one brand of gas? ..or can it only be filled from one mfr's gas pump?

I have, and use, used lots of different Level-2 chargers including a Mustart 40A plug in charger, a Mustart 32A TravelMaster, and a Tesla Wall charger (with adapter). (Ironically, I have not tried the PMCC which came with the car. I have never needed to. Its still in its original packaging...)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@evanevery - OP is in europe/england - charging over there is slightly different - for one it’s not J-1772 - I’m sitting back and watching and learning on this one - I have very little insight into European charging issues…

OP
OP
Swiffywagbags

Swiffywagbags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bit of an update, thanks to everyone who has offered help so far.

So the mobile connect charger was plugged into an extension lead and it had (i think) blown a fuse in the extension lead as I tried plugging the charger direct into the 3pin 13A socket and it works.

So I have managed to get the mobile charger working albeit this is at the reduced 3KW rather than the 7KW which would be provided from the 32A Level 2 charger.

In respect of the level 2 charger its an ABL charger "mode 3" When i read the instruction manual the system charger seems to be OK based on what LEDs are flashing when the system is in standby and when you try to charge the car. It makes me think it is maybe a problem with the type 2 cable or possibly the car.

I should say I am now charging the car from the opposite side port to the one which was giving the issues so wonder if it is something to do with the other port having some issue...

My OPC service dept is calling me tomorrow to talk things through over the phone so maybe that will shed some more light on it.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
@evanevery - OP is in europe/england - charging over there is slightly different - for one it’s not J-1772 - I’m sitting back and watching and learning on this one - I have very little insight into European charging issues…
10-4 (missed the location), but isn't the premise the same even if the connector isn't? The actual charger is still in the car, right?

...or is it possible that some countries natively provide power that the onboard charger must have converted first? ...sorta a 50hz/60hz kinda issue?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
10-4 (missed the location), but isn't the premise the same even if the connector isn't? The actual charger is still in the car, right?

...or is it possible that some countries natively provide power that the onboard charger must have converted first? ...sorta a 50hz/60hz kinda issue?
A type 2 charger here is all standard as well. It is the same PMCC but just a different connector and perhaps a different handshake etc. The charger is still in the car.

I do not know the particular charger used but believe it is ok. Seems more like a problem with the communication to start the charge? Or maybe a grounding error. I get the red light on the car when; I try to use my Tesla UMC?

And no surprise that the extension cord blew the fuse. It is Normally tricky to get an extension cord to work. Could be too thin gauge wire.

Let us know what you find, please

Matt8442

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is patently false. ANY level 2 "charger" should work just fine. There is nothing magic about them. They aren't even "chargers". Effectively, they are only a simple relay which provides raw electrical power to the car. The actual "charger" is, in fact, actually built into the car.

The whole point of an EV is to be able to be charged with any industry standard (J1772) "charger". It would be pretty pointless if you couldn't charge with any of them. Does your ICE vehicle only use one brand of gas? ..or can it only be filled from one mfr's gas pump?

I have, and use, used lots of different Level-2 chargers including a Mustart 40A plug in charger, a Mustart 32A TravelMaster, and a Tesla Wall charger (with adapter). (Ironically, I have not tried the PMCC which came with the car. I have never needed to. Its still in its original packaging...)
Alright, calm down, was just stating what Id read on here from People earlier on in the year about
Level 2 chargers. Hence why I’d asked the OP what charger he was using. If your the expert on all things Taycan related then I’ll take my hat off to you. Whole idea of a forum is to ask questions and seek answers.

simcnish

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I realize this thread isn't very active any longer but posting here in case anyone happens upon it while searching for a solution to the Tesla Wall Charger vs. Taycan charging dilemma. In my setup, I was able to open up the TWC (after purchasing the right torx screwdriver heads), flick the Dip Switch #2 down (so that the TWC is in 'legacy' mode) and now I can charge up the Taycan using the DC port on the left of the car (UK-based car => passenger side). No adapter required.
Port on the driver-side (AC) does not work and shows as 'red' after about 10 seconds.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I realize this thread isn't very active any longer but posting here in case anyone happens upon it while searching for a solution to the Tesla Wall Charger vs. Taycan charging dilemma. In my setup, I was able to open up the TWC (after purchasing the right torx screwdriver heads), flick the Dip Switch #2 down (so that the TWC is in 'legacy' mode) and now I can charge up the Taycan using the DC port on the left of the car (UK-based car => passenger side). No adapter required.
Port on the driver-side (AC) does not work and shows as 'red' after about 10 seconds.
How can you charge without an adapter when the Tesla Wall Connector uses Tesla's proprietary plug?