xraymanrr

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan, BMW 430ix, Audi A3, Toyota RAV4
Country flag
I have a second home and I do not want to purchase a second on board charger /mobile charger connect for $1400. All I want is a 25' long cord that connects my 240V line( 4 plug NEMA 14 -50) to my car. Porsche does not make this. Has anyone purchased something like this from another manufacture? If yes what should I get.
Sponsored

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
I have a second home and I do not want to purchase a second on board charger /mobile charger connect for $1400. All I want is a 25' long cord that connects my 240V line( 4 plug NEMA 14 -50) to my car. Porsche does not make this. Has anyone purchased something like this from another manufacture? If yes what should I get.
Amazon has welder extension cords (240 volt) that look good for this

OP
OP

xraymanrr

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I need to know what exact cord to get. One end hooks directly into my car charging port and the other end hooks into my 4 prong 240 volt wall plug?

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
If I'm understanding the question right, @xraymanrr is asking about a cord that goes directly from a NEMA 14-50 on one end to an J1772 on the other. Nothing like this exists that I'm aware of, nor should it. The vehicle needs to plug into an EVSE (sometimes misnamed as a 'Charger') and not directly to a power source. The EVSE does the handshake and J1772 negotiation with the vehicle and manages the power flow. It also provides various safety and shutoff capabilities.

You certainly don't need to buy a Porsche-branded EVSE such as the Mobile Charger or Mobile Charger Connect (which are pretty ridiculously overpriced for what they are) but you need *something*. You might want to look at something like this from ClipperCreek: https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/amazing-e-fast-32-14-50 or something like this from Wallbox: https://wallbox.com/en_us/pulsar-plus-40a. There are also several folks here who heartily recommend a Tesla mobile EVSE with an adapter.

There are a lot of options out there for portable EVSEs, and multiple threads in this forum discussing them. It's worth spending some time searching the threads.

Last edited:

levinsje

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag

OP
OP

xraymanrr

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
All I want is a 25' long cord that connects my 240V line( 4 plug NEMA 14 -50) to my car.
The key thing is to have a long charging cable and a short plug. This will be safer than a long 240 volt extension cord. I had a similar problem for a summer house so I went with a 32amp EVSE with a 25' charging cable. Charging over night has never been a problem for me.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I use this to charge my Taycan when at my parents house: https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-mobile-connector-bundle. Since I also have a TeslaTap mini for road trips, it pairs nicely. Just make sure you also purchase the necessary adapter for your NEMA plug.

Side note I also use the Tesla wall connector + TeslaTap mini at home, mostly because I already had the Tesla wall connector from my previous EV (a Tesla, naturally).

OP
OP

xraymanrr

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a 240 volt and 50 amp charging line at home. I have been getting a lot of red lights during the charging process and I have to unplug and restart. Any tips on stopping or reducing the red lights.
Sponsored