Charging NA App Broken? (Not allowing 350KW EA Terminals to be selected)

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sitting here in Westworth Village at the EA station. Charging away on a 350kW position. Currently seeing a 152.22kW charge rate. No issues at all with the ChargingAmerica app. It sees all of the 350kW and 150kW terminals. Remarkably, ALL four terminals (8 charging ports) are available and operational! Followed standard usage pattern and it started charging session right away - I didn’t even have to call the EA Help Desk today!

Current version of apps.

I hate being the anomaly!
Toby
Sponsored

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sitting here in Westworth Village at the EA station. Charging away on a 350kW position. Currently seeing a 151.05kW

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interestingly, Porsche seems to have removed the timer that tracked the duration of your charging session. That was a nice feature that showed both state of charge AND duration of current charging session. Too bad..... that was a nice usability feature.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Sitting here in Westworth Village at the EA station. Charging away on a 350kW position. Currently seeing a 152.22kW charge rate. No issues at all with the ChargingAmerica app. It sees all of the 350kW and 150kW terminals. Remarkably, ALL four terminals (8 charging ports) are available and operational! Followed standard usage pattern and it started charging session right away - I didn’t even have to call the EA Help Desk today!

Current version of apps.

I hate being the anomaly!
Toby
Please snap us a screen shot where it allows you to actually select and activate a 350KW terminal!

Android or IOS? Specifically, what is the version number?

Last edited:

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@evanevery As noted before, I run iOS/iPhone. I also have auto update enabled so the iTunes App Store updates all of my apps on their cycle, not mine. My ChargingAmerica app shows what appears to be Version 1.0.75(568).

As I noted in my earlier post, I was able to see ALL FOUR of the 350kW ports and the other 3 150kW terminals. There are a total of four dual-station terminals at this EA location in West Forth Worth. 1 dual-station that houses a 150kW CCS terminal and 1 ChadeMo terminal. Two dual-station 350kW terminals providing FOUR 350kW charging lanes and one dual-station 150kW terminal.

Again, ALL FOUR stations appeared in the Charging America app as Available as I began my charge process. Each of the four stations were properly enumerated with their respective available charging rates as well as the proper EA terminal numbers.

The CA app was able to properly initiate the charging session and the "available" station count at this location went from 4 of 4 to 3 of 4 as my sessions started.

In this session, the only anomalies I noticed were the lack of the small timer/SoC indicator that used to be on the ChargingAneica app, and there was no way to STOP the charging session within the app.

When I went outside the car to end the session, I simply pressed the Charging button (which was Green at the time - indicating a charging session was underway), the charging button changed to Flashing White (signaling the interactions with the charging terminal to end the charging session) and then the charging button turned Off indicating the end of the session. I was then able to unplug the CCS plug from the car with no issue.

I have kept my dealer and in turn the area Field Technical Manager for PCNA of these conditions.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting that the tech from Porsche noted that the current IOS app also has "problems" (as well as Android). He said it might "manifest itself differently". Being an Android User I did not need to dig further on the IOS front. Sounds like you can at least activate 350KW terminals with the IOS app. You cannot do this with the current Android app.

The Android App was clearly broken when it moved from the previous version to the current version. The previous version will present 350KW terminals to us for activation while the current version simply lists 150KW when asking to show 350KW.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Toby Pennycuff 1.0.75 is the older version, 1.0.81 is the current version. So you are using the older, working version as discussed earlier in this thread.

They may have turned off auto-update to 1.0.81 after they realized the problem.

But yes, 1.0.75 works fine. 1.0.81 does not allow 350 kw chargers to be selected. That's going to be the same experience for every user as it's a software flaw with the updated app.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Toby Pennycuff

They may have turned off auto-update to 1.0.81 after they realized the problem.
Seems .81 is no longer available on the app store - current version is .75 Odd, since I also have autoupdates on, so not sure why I didn't get that update - although I am glad I didn't.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
FWIW this error has not been fixed and for anyone with the .81 app your only method to initiate a 350kw charge is to call EA or use your card.

EA will immediately start a free charging session, though, with no questions asked. I told them that Porsche Connect is refusing to fix the issue and the agent told me they'd escalate it to EA leadership to hopefully prod Porsche.

I've had many app failures but all EA chargers have worked perfectly for me.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
FWIW this error has not been fixed and for anyone with the .81 app your only method to initiate a 350kw charge is to call EA or use your card.
I forgot, is this the version for Apple or Android?

For Apple, if you have the .81 version of the app, maybe just delete it and get the current one on the app store which is .75.

I have had no problems with starting a 350kw charge using that app - I did 2 last week when on the road.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
You can also initiate the 350s using the Porsche Connect app (not Charging NA). The app is not particularly intuitive but it does work.

Brent

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I used the Porsche "Connect" app to start an EA charge session at a 350 kW charger, but never "saw" any where near that - 78 kW was the max rate I saw - starting the sessions like this have proven 100% effective in my last 3 attempts - interestingly it bills you during the session but discounts the first 30 minutes at the end of the session.

I've not been using the Charge America app since I discovered charger initiation via the "Connect" app.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I used the Porsche "Connect" app to start an EA charge session at a 350 kW charger, but never "saw" any where near that - 78 kW was the max rate I saw - starting the sessions like this have proven 100% effective in my last 3 attempts - interestingly it bills you during the session but discounts the first 30 minutes at the end of the session.

I've not been using the Charge America app since I discovered charger initiation via the "Connect" app.
Dave,
Confused by the 78kW statement, were you in the high 80% SoC for it to be that low? As I don't think it was a cold thing in California.

Happy that Porsche Connect is reliable to start EA sessions.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I was below 50% but above 40% - sorry didnt’ keep exact notes - I stay’d exactly 30 minutes (the free/included session duration) - left at 92/93%

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was below 50% but above 40% - sorry didnt’ keep exact notes - I stay’d exactly 30 minutes (the free/included session duration) - left at 92/93%
I just finished my 1400 mi EV Road Trip. 7 charging stops each way (2 of the 7 were completely offline - the whole STATION - even calling EA couldn't get ANY of the chargers rebooted or running at EITHER location!)

Anyway, if you are running Android you are pretty much SOL. Android Charging NA App won't start a 350KW charger (period). Porsche Connect won't even stay running - it crashes the instant you ask it to show E-Stations on the Explore screen (EVERY Time).

Luckily I also brought my iPad to compare the IOS apps vs the Android apps. The IOS stuff works more reliably than the Android stuff (although that's a very low bar as the Android apps pretty much don't work at all). Basically, I ran the Android apps oll the way in one direction and then the IOS apps all the way back. I had much less "connectivity" and "activation" issues when running the IOS apps.

However, the most reliable method by far is to use the Electrify America app and simply pay the price to avoid the uncertainty and frustrations delivered by the Porsche software.

There was absolutely no situation where I couldn't get the EA app to start a charging session on any charger (assuming the charger was functional at all). I did have to call EA twice, but they were NEVER able to get a charging session running that the EA App could not. IOW: If the EA app couldn't get a charger running, Tech Support could never get it working either.

Again, I had two entire charging locations which EA could not get ANY chargers rebooted and/or activated (3 chargers at the first one and 4 chargers at the second one)! I actually had to drive to the next station along my route to get a charge. Consider the density of chargers along your route BEFORE you depart and NEVER charge for or assume anything close to maximum range! Depending on charger density, I would never arrive with less than 50 miles remaining (25%).

Planning is everything! Plan before you go, know EXACTLY where you are going to stop, have multiple planning (ABRP, PlugShare) and activation (EA, Connect, Charging NA) solutions available!

I'll likely write up a trip summary after I get caught up from my return...
Sponsored