RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
I am a total newbie so be nice! I am ordering a new Taycan and will get the mobile charger connect (14-50) . The installation will, ideally, be on the passenger side (near the electrical panel in the garage) BUT I will not have easy access to the passenger side when the car is in the (relatively small) garage. How can I use the charging port on the driver's side of the car in this arrangement? 1. 25 foot charging cable works fine; 2. bite the bullet and install mobile charger connect on the driver's side; 3. else? Thanks!
Sponsored

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I am a total newbie so be nice! I am ordering a new Taycan and will get the mobile charger connect (14-50) . The installation will, ideally, be on the passenger side (near the electrical panel in the garage) BUT I will not have easy access to the passenger side when the car is in the (relatively small) garage. How can I use the charging port on the driver's side of the car in this arrangement? 1. 25 foot charging cable works fine; 2. bite the bullet and install mobile charger connect on the driver's side; 3. else? Thanks!
The 25 foot charging cable should be fine to reach the left side charging port if your car is close to the PMCC on the right hand side.

OP
OP
RBGtaycan

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The 25 foot charging cable should be fine to reach the left side charging port if your car is close to the PMCC on the right hand side.
Thanks much. Does the cable replace the existing shorter cable or does it need an adaption connector?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
when your order the $0 25ft cord with your Taycan it replaces the shorter cable.

there are better and cheaper options than the porsche charger - but most will have 8ft to 25ft charging cable - so same basic choices there...

high quality alternative chargers for any J-1772 based EV (like the Taycan) can be had for $600 or less. there is nothing special about the porsche charger - other than it’s price.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
my recommendation is:
  • don’t purchase the ridiculously expensive porsche charger
  • install a 240V / 60 amp circuit to your garage - and purchase a ClipperCreek HCS60 charger - this will charge your taycan at 11 kw - rather than the slower 9.6 Kw charger rate with the porsche (any 14-50 based) mobile charger
    • this will be a “permanent“ charger and not mobile - but honestly if you’re charging away from home you’re not doing it by ”plugging” in - you’re using a public charger
  • decide later if you really need to carry a mobile charger with you on road trips - if the answer is yes you can purchase any number of high quality mobile EV chargers for $500 or less
    • I and most on this forum recommend the Mustart EV chargers as mobile chargers for road trips if you need one
    • I can also recommend the Tesla Gen2 UMC - but that’s a more advanced choice

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
also spend the time to run the extra wire to the ideal location for any EV charger in your garage - you’re going to be using this charger for years - spending an extra hour or two running some extra gauge 6 wire to a ideal location in the garage is well worth the effort and any extra wire/conduit cost.

my preferred location for EV charger is as close to the garage door as feasible - so that your 25ft cord can also “reach” into the driveway to charge an EV that might be parked outside the garage as well as inside the garage.

there are overhead pully systems for tools that work well for stringing EV charging cables “over head” and then pull down the charging connector on what ever side of the car will work for charging.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
this is a great 60/48 amp charger - but it’s not mobile cause any electrical device more than a 50 amp breaker in north america MUST be hard wired according to building codes

https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/level2-40-to-80/hcs-60-48-amp-ev-charging-station

there are also these three choices for a 50/40 amp EV charger from clipper creek - each about 1/2 the cost of the Porsche charger
there is NO difference between these 3 chargers other than how they are wired - one is hardwired and the other two can be plugged and unplugged, but I wouldn’t consider them “mobile”

the $559 “deal” on the NEMA 6-50 Clippercreek is a great deal - and ClipperCreek is ultra high quality very very reliable charger that is bullet proof and will provide years of service.
  • 50 amp breaker / 40 amp charge rate = 9.6 kw charger rate for your Taycan - full charge from 0% to full is about 11 hours - daily use will be about 90 min to 2 hours
  • 60 amp breaker / 48 amp charge rate = 11 kW charge rate for your Taycan - full charge from 0% to full is about 8 1/2 hours - daily use will be about 1 hour to 90 minutes

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
summary:
  • 60 amp home charger - 48 amp charging rate - 11 kW - hard wired - placed in garage in ideal location - close to the garage door so 25ft cable can reach anywhere in garage _OR_ outside to the driveway
  • [optional] $500 (or less) mobile charger with you in the car - if you decide you need a mobile charger with you for road trips
    • honestly with the proliferation of fast chargers - it’s getting increasingly un-necessary to have a charger with you in the vehicle - you really only need a mobile charger with you if you are traveling to an area that does not have fast chargers or slow chargers
    • the _ONLY_ use case for a mobile charger these days are if you’re honestly planning to do someplace where you need to bring your own charger and can’t use public fast/slow chargers - this is rapidly becoming a minority use case
    • even hotels these days are offering EV chargers onsite...

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
NOTE: if you forgo purchasing the Porsche charger with the vehicle - it is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more expensive to purchase separately later - so if you think you’re ever going to want the Porsche mobile charger the cheapest time to purchase one is _WITH_ your vehicle.

so this gives rise to an alternate approach:
  • purchase and install a high quality 50/60 amp J-1772 charger like the ClipperCreek
  • keep the Porsche charger with your vehicle order and use the porsche charger as your “mobile” travel charger
you can also just install a NEMA 14-50 plug and use the Porsche charger @ 9.6 kW and all will be well - it’s not a bad option - and fully functional.

most on the forum do not prefer the porsche charger as their mobile EV charging option for the following reasons
  • it is quite bulky and heavy and hard to wrangle - doesn’t matter for home use - but is an issue if you are using while traveling - hard to pack/unpack
  • it’s very expensive for what it is - high quality alternatives are available for way way less money
    • alternatives also offer a wider range of affordable NEMA plug adapters
  • it has a very limited set of NEMA plug adapters available
  • a single porsche NEMA plug adapter that you purchase post delivery is more money than an entire Mustart charger + adapters

OP
OP
RBGtaycan

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This forum is very valuable to someone new...there is nothing like "having been there / done that". But, unless someone new can get access to the experiences of others, they will often make unnecessary mistakes. Thanks to members for taking the time to respond.

CJE

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Ford GT (part owner)
Country flag
You don't need much room to reach that port on the passenger side providing you get the foldable mirrors that retract. I have only a little room and I can easily slide along the side of the car and open the port so I can slip the charger into the car. Just a thought.

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2021 Audi Q7
Country flag
This forum is very valuable to someone new...there is nothing like "having been there / done that". But, unless someone new can get access to the experiences of others, they will often make unnecessary mistakes. Thanks to members for taking the time to respond.
FYI, even if you don’t order the “Connect” version with the car (the one that costs money), the 2021 models COME WITH the new “Porsche Mobile Charger Plus” for FREE. It’s not a smart charger (ie doesn’t connect to WiFi) but I literally spoke with my dealer this morning (my 2021 is on order and being made now, so had questions for them on this just like you are asking) and they CONFIRMED with Germany that the new “Porsche Mobile Charger Plus” comes with the car for free and comes with a 14.5 foot cable, a NEMA 14-50 plug (level 2 charging) AND a NEMA 5-15 plug (level 1 charging)... can switch them out... Just have your electrician install a 50 Amp NEMA 14-50 plug in your garage (which allows you to charge at 40 Amps... which = a 9.6kw speed).

I personally plan on leaving the Porsche Mobile Charger Plus in the trunk of the car, and installing a 3rd party charger in my garage - which, as others above me have noted, can be had for around $600 (instead of the $1,200+for the Porsche “Connect” one)... brands to consider: ChargePoint, Enel-x juicebox, ClipperCreek, Grizzl-e, etc. I personally am likely going to go with the ChargePoint Homeflex model. Electrician coming next month to get me all wired up so I’m all set when my car comes in mid-April.

In summary... get a 3rd party charger for your garage and keep the FREE Porsche Mobile Charger Plus in your trunk for when on the road. And NOTE: this new “Plus” model Charger is for 2021 models, so previous posts you’ll note on this forum with members who have 2020’s were in a different boat (most were forced to include the “Connect” version with the car and the 2020’s did not come free with this new “plus” model).

OP
OP
RBGtaycan

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
FYI, even if you don’t order the “Connect” version with the car (the one that costs money), the 2021 models COME WITH the new “Porsche Mobile Charger Plus” for FREE. It’s not a smart charger (ie doesn’t connect to WiFi) but I literally spoke with my dealer this morning (my 2021 is on order and being made now, so had questions for them on this just like you are asking) and they CONFIRMED with Germany that the new “Porsche Mobile Charger Plus” comes with the car for free and comes with a 14.5 foot cable, a NEMA 14-50 plug (level 2 charging) AND a NEMA 5-15 plug (level 1 charging)... can switch them out... Just have your electrician install a 50 Amp NEMA 14-50 plug in your garage (which allows you to charge at 40 Amps... which = a 9.6kw speed).

I personally plan on leaving the Porsche Mobile Charger Plus in the trunk of the car, and installing a 3rd party charger in my garage - which, as others above me have noted, can be had for around $600 (instead of the $1,200+for the Porsche “Connect” one)... brands to consider: ChargePoint, Enel-x juicebox, ClipperCreek, Grizzl-e, etc. I personally am likely going to go with the ChargePoint Homeflex model. Electrician coming next month to get me all wired up so I’m all set when my car comes in mid-April.

In summary... get a 3rd party charger for your garage and keep the FREE Porsche Mobile Charger Plus in your trunk for when on the road. And NOTE: this new “Plus” model Charger is for 2021 models, so previous posts you’ll note on this forum with members who have 2020’s were in a different boat (most were forced to include the “Connect” version with the car and the 2020’s did not come free with this new “plus” model).
I just configured (actually re-configured for the 9th time!) mine this AM and the web site does not have any of this..hope it is true
Sponsored