Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Apologies if this has been posted before. I have searched but not found what I’m looking for.

I have a timer set to charge the car to 85% by 8:30am on a weekday morning and to pre-heat the car to 21 degrees C.
Every time I get in the car on a morning it is either still charging or has charged beyond 85%. I appreciate it is cold here currently (2 degrees C this morning) & I never had an alert to say the pre-heat was complete so am I right in thinking the car will carry on charging until the interior temperature has been reached. Or am I doing something wrong?

I’ve attached a screenshot of the car at 8:20 this morning still charging. I’ve also attached the timer.

Help!!

Porsche Taycan Charging not stopping at 85% 6B9B5694-71DF-444E-8B17-DD93563963D9

Porsche Taycan Charging not stopping at 85% FA50C67A-4F57-453F-8496-5AE05A603F81

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I do not think you are doing anything wrong at all.

I have the exact same experience when it comes to preheating the car. I think I have seen by the power consumption that the charger will continue to charge the battery while heating. I have experienced a few percentage points above the set target before, but hve assumed then that it was due to the battery being heated and then showing a few more percent, 2%, above the target. I did also observe that the charging stopped at the same time as the precondition of the interior stopped after one hour.

I believe this is an error in the programming of the software.

OP
OP
Smithy37

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for confirming.

When I got in the car it was at 91% so that’s a fair way above 85% target.
I may back the target charge down to 80% to save me regularly going over 85%.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Shouldn't Porsche understand the difference between charging and preconditioning? Are they unable to separate the two processes? This is yet again "more monkeys at more keyboards" generating software... They apparently don't have the "infinite" number required to get it right... Would Porsche even know if they did? Cause they sure don't seem to do much real-world testing...

So what happens if you precondition your car every day and don't drive it? Does the charge level just keep climbing and climbing? Will you effectively be charging you car to 100% every night if this happens?

I don't use custom profiles or timers. (surprise, surprise!) I just have the charge level in my general profile set to 85%.

I've never seen my car at a point more, or a point less, than 85% when I get in to it. (Assuming, or course, it has enough charging time to reach that level).

Obviously, I also don't pre-condition my car so you may be right that this is a factor.

...another good excuse for "eco-criminals" to heat their garage I expect! (It appears I am now internationally known, not only as an eco-criminal, but also a USA "SuperFund Site" for all the cleaning chemicals I keep in my garage...)

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't use custom profiles or timers. (surprise, surprise!) I just have the charge level in my general profile set to 85%.
Obviously, I also don't pre-condition my car so you may be right that this is a factor.
I think that is correct that this only happens when you use preheat etc.

I use two timers, one ending at 17.00 and one ending at 07.00. The reason is that I have a very low tariff before this that I want to use. About 60% reduction. Nice if it works! And IT DOES WORK for me. If I only set the charge level to 85% at one of these times, it does stop at that level. However if I try to pre heat the battery it goes over that set limit???

I ask the Porsche guru here today and he had never heard about the possibility to preheat the battery. Only possible with Porsche Intelligent Range Manager was his response!! So much for Porsche Centre knowledge.

Using Sport Plus when possible however seemed to warm up the battery though.

ndw8790

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
many
Country flag
I have the same experience. If the preconditioning is on, the required charge level is exceeded. The colder it is, the more the choosen charge level is exceeded.

It doesn't look like a bug to me as you can guess some possible explanations:

- I haven't seen my charger trottling down the output power. It always sends 11kW to the car. Heating the cabin doesn't take 11kWs. So the car takes what it needs to heat the cabin and sends the rest to the battery.
- The car doesn't use a heater to heat up the battery. That would not be efficient. It just charges the battery. I do wonder what happens when you leave the timer with preconditioning on every morning and don't use the car. (If I work at home, I usually disable the timer)
- The car assumes you want to have a certain range in kms. Keeping the cabin warm will take extra energy, so it adds a bit of extra charge (the actual additional % will probably be calculated to the milliWatthour :-D )

My target charge levels on the timers (weekday (precon) / weekend (no precon) ) are at 80%. Profile is at 40%.

Shouldn't Porsche understand the difference between charging and preconditioning? Are they unable to separate the two processes? This is yet again "more monkeys at more keyboards" generating software... They apparently don't have the "infinite" number required to get it right... Would Porsche even know if they did? Cause they sure don't seem to do much real-world testing...
Ed, you're bashing on the car all the time. Why do you keep it??

Or is your real name Elon :-DD

Last edited:

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I have never gotten the target or min charge to work.

Every time I get into the car in the morning its at 100%.

One time I woke up at 4am, checked the app and charging was "pasued" , charge level was at exactly 85%. Went back to bed, in the morning car was at 100%. Have no idea what happened.

So basically I have resorted to using the timer on the charger itself. Based on what my current charge level is I will guess how much time is needed to get to about 85% and setup my charger to do it.

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have never gotten the target or min charge to work.

Every time I get into the car in the morning its at 100%.

One time I woke up at 4am, checked the app and charging was "pasued" , charge level was at exactly 85%. Went back to bed, in the morning car was at 100%. Have no idea what happened.

So basically I have resorted to using the timer on the charger itself. Based on what my current charge level is I will guess how much time is needed to get to about 85% and setup my charger to do it.
Have you seen this video and followed the suggestions?

It works exactly that way for me.

OP
OP
Smithy37

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I didn’t need my car this morning so just set the timer to charge to 85% and it charged & switched off as expected.
Definitely the pre-heat/cool causing it to run on as suspected. So I think the answer is we set our target charge lower to allow for this anomaly.
Glad it’s not me being dumb.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
- I haven't seen my charger trottling down the output power. It always sends 11kW to the car. Heating the cabin doesn't take 11kWs. So the car takes what it needs to heat the cabin and sends the rest to the battery.
I have actually seen the PMCC throttle down to about 5.x kW while running the preheat only. But the setting for this was a timer on the A/C.

- The car doesn't use a heater to heat up the battery. That would not be efficient. It just charges the battery.
Would be interesting to know how Porsche have designed this. I charged my battery to 80% this morning from about 45% or so. And at lunchtime I noted that the battery was still at 17 degrees C in a garage that only was 11 degrees! So somehow the battery has been heated, but could very well be just by being charged??

Here is a cut from some Porsche document about the battery:

Depending on the outside temperature, the battery is preconditioned to a certain temperature level when the vehicle is connected to the mains for charging. The interior can be preconditioned independently of the mains.

https://e-performance.io/en/article/taycan-battery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Ed, you're bashing on the car all the time. Why do you keep it??
This is a fair question!

PLEASE: Make no mistake, I really like my car! What is inexcusable, is the crappy job Porsche did with so much of the software.

I can't think of one single physical or mechanical issue worth complaining about. The car is a joy to drive and it performs and handles very well.

What is total, inexcusable bull$hit, is the software which Porsche has dumped upon us that we require to make this car function properly as an EV!

The Porsche Apps (Porsche Connect, Charging NA) are utter garbage. They provide much more frustration than functionality. The only time I even bother to try them anymore is to see if an update has made anything better. (Largely, they haven't...)

The user interface in the car was fully sacrificed in the name of aesthetics. They didn't want knobs or buttons on the console so now we got swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, etc if we want to BROWSE our music. (How about a vertical scroll control we can slide our finger along to control up/down scrolling velocity? You know, we already have a "back button"... It could still be added...)

We can't properly plan an EV Road Trip as the car refuses to acknowledge Charger Addresses even when sent down directly from the Porsche Web site. You have to "convert" these addresses from inside the car in order to save them AGAIN as "charger" addresses in your favorites. ...and the reason you have to save them as favorites is cause the Nav system won't save an entire route - you have to build it point-by-point BACKWARDS while fighting all the time with the Nav system which is trying to re-route you to god knows where while you build the trip. You have to do all this right before you actually start rolling cause the onboard nav system won't save your route (and neither will the Porsche Web Portal).

Can I tune the radio? Sure... Can I control the comfort in the cabin? Sure... All the usual "car" stuff seems to work MOSTLY well... (Except perhaps the lack of scroll buttons and a brain-dead decision to make the reverse camera and homelink screen mutually exclusive... My Tesla doesn't have this issue. Again, this COULD be fixed...)

Anyway...

Its EXACTLY all the stuff which we need to make Road Tripping with an EV successful which is so effing effed up in this car. I paid almost a quarter million dollars for my first Porsche and THIS is the kind of thoughtless, careless software which gets embedded in the experience?

Its pretty clear that almost none of the software which has anything to do with the EV user experience (or success) was given much thought. Its also blatantly obvious that no one really properly road tested the car for its EV functionality. $hitty software design up front and $hitty functional testing on the back end.

It may not matter much in an ICE but this stuff is critical for an EV.

I want to be able to sit in my nice comfy office chair and plan an EV road trip. You can't just pull over anywhere and get a charge. You need to plan in advance to make an EV Road Trip a success. This takes time and care to do properly. You can't just hit a button on the Nav System and say take me "here". Its a nice thought - but it doesn't work. I want to be able to do my planning well in advance of my departure.

I want to be able to push my carefully planned route down into the car (well in advance of departure). I don't want to have to re-create my trip as I sit in my driveway the morning of departure while fighting with an uncooperative Nav system that thinks it knows better where I should go.

I want to be able to hop in my car the morning of departure, activate/load my carefully planned route and go. I want the car to take me to each and every planned charging stop exactly as I asked it to do.

NONE of this is rocket science. Its all so very obvious by anyone who actually plans/takes an EV Road Trip. Either Porsche didn't user-test this stuff properly or they must have ignored the comments any REAL USER would surely have provided.

Porsche completely failed in their ability to allow us to plan an EV Road Trip. They also completely failed in actually user-testing the car to see if it meets customer expectations.

Porsche failed big-time here!

The GOOD NEWS is that almost all this car's shortcomings are software related. ...and that means that if Porsche REALLY gives a $hit they can fix ALL this stuff!

We all need to tell them this crap is UNACCEPTABLE. That their disregard for their customers is UNACCEPTABLE.

I am NOT going to stop shining light on these issues until Porsche fixes this garbage! My agreement with YOU (the community) is that I will do my best to provide as much detail as possible to quantify each shortcoming (at least as I see it), detail any work arounds I have found to mitigate them, and fully describe specific ways Porsche could resolve them if they so desired. (Identification + Mitigation + Resolution)

I'm sorry if some find this "tedious", but Porsche needs to be called out on this. Over and over if necessary...

Last edited: