Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
Can someone explain what these two options are, if you purchased either one or both, and why? I have read the Porsche description and it is not very explanatory. Here are the options:

19.2 kW AC On-Board Charger

On-Board 150 kW/400V DC Charger

Thanks. I just joined the Taycan Forum and will be up all night reading and reading!
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
welcome!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
19.2 kW AC On-Board Charger

On-Board 150 kW/400V DC Charger
1st question

19.2 kW charger allows the Taycan to charge at any charger in North America up to an maximum rate of 19.2 kW - the Taycan battery is 83.4 kWh usable capacity - so if you owned or encountered a public/hotel 19.2 kW charger - the approximate maximum charging time for your Taycan would be: 83.4 / 19.2 = 4.3 (5 hours or less)​

this however does NOT mean your Taycan will always charge at 19.2 kW - rather this simply installs an AC to DC converter that is capable of handling that much power.​
When charging at most J-1772 L2 chargers they provide AC power, the vehicle has an onboard "charger" that converts the AC power flow to DC power for the battery - these devices on board the vehicle (called chargers or AC/DC converters/rectifiers) have a maximum amount of AC power they can convert to DC power. The Taycan has two options: an 11 kW AC/DC converter or the optional 22 kW AC/DC converter. The 22 kW AC/DC converter in North America will only ever do 19.2 kW - because the EV charging standard in North America is J-1772. The J-1772 specification only documents or specifies a maximum 240 volt AC power charging rate of 19.2 kW - so in North America the Taycan can be optionally equipped with a 22 kW charger, but there is no L2 240 Volt AC charging hardware that will offer 22 kw - so the maximum rate is 19.2 kW.​
  • Technically speaking the onboard AC/DC converter is the "charger".
  • The external power-device/cord that you plug into is _NOT_ the charger - it's referred to as an EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment)
all EV's have a "maximum" charge rate, but they will all charge at a slow rate when they encounter a charger that offers less kW's.​
  • Tesla Model 3 Short Range - 32 amps maximum charge rate - 7.68 kW
  • Tesla Model 3 Long Range - 48 amp maximum charge rate - 11 kW
  • Chevy Bolt - 32 amp maximum charge rate - 7.68 kW
  • Taycan - 40 amp maximum charge rate - 9.6 kW
    • optional 19.2 kW (80 amps)
  • my 2017 Tesla Model X P100D - 72 amp maximum charge rate - 17.2 kW
Example: My 2013 Tesla P85 could charge at a full 19.2 kW - but when charging at work the chargers are only capable of 6 kW (208 volts @ 30 amps) - so while the car can charge at up to 19.2 kW - the chargers at work only offer 6 kW - so the car charges at the slower maximum rate offered by the charger. This is how all EV's work - the vehicle has a maximum charge rate, the EV charger you are plugging into has a maximum charge rate - and when the two device plug into one another they negotiate the maximum rate _BOTH_ devices can handle…
Another Example: I have a 19.2 kw Charger installed in my home (cause I'm nuts!!!). But my Chevy Bolt's maximum charge rate is 7.68 kW. So when my 2019 Bolt is plugged into my 19.2 kW home EVSE charger, it charges at a maximum rate of 7.68 kw (the maximum rate the Bolt can handle)
the different charge rates break down in to the following AC power requirements.​
without this option the maximum rate for the North American Taycan's is 11 kW.​
  • 19.2 kW requires a 240 volt 100 amp circuit - very uncommon in North America
  • 11 kW requires a 240 volt 60 amp circuit - more common
  • _MOST_ public chargers you'll encounter in the US are 208 volt 30 amp charger - or about 6 kW
the problem is the vast vast majority of public/commerical non-FastDC chargers you will encounter in the wild in North America are no where near 19.2 kW chargers - most public chargers in North America you are lucky to find 7 kW - or even 6 kW.​
If you choose to install a 19.2 kW EV charger at home you will need 100 amp circuit added to your home/garage/main-panel - and you'll need to purchase a 100 amp capable J-1772 charger (ClipperCreek makes the best)​
consult with you local licensed/bonded electrician about the cost of adding a 100 amp circuit to your home for a 19.2 kW EV chargers (called an EVSE). it is very unlikely to be cheap.​
the external EV charger (EVSE) that comes with the Taycan is limited to 9.6 kW - and can utilize up to a 50 amp circuit. charging the Taycan from 0% to 100% with 9.6 kW takes 11-12 hours.​
adding a 50 amp circuit to your garage for 9.6 kW charging and using the included Porsche EVSE charger will cheaper than adding a 100 amp circuit and purchasing a separate 100 amp EVSE ($2,100 for the EVSE alone).​
the default or standard charger included with the Taycan is an 11 kW charger - which will charge the taycan in about 9 hours - this requires a 60 amp breaker/circuit and matching J-1772 charger.​
also keep in mind you are rarely charging the vehicle from nearly empty (most people use 40% or less battery daily) - so unless you are quite sure you're going to need to charge from 10% or less to full most days - there is very low ROI in North America for 19.2 kW charger option - but it's nice when you need to fully charge the car in 5 hours or less and have access to one of these rare 19.2 kW chargers.​
if you drive less than 100 miles a day and charge ever night a 50 amp circuit with the included Porsche Charger will charge your Taycan for the next day in less than 4 hours. The 19.2 kW charger (if you have one at home) would charge the same 100 mies a day in 2 hour or less.​
This option is the same high capacity 22 kW European option which is better in Europe where 22 kW chargers are more common/majority for public charging (in France apparently nearly every public charger is 22 kW). This is _NOT_ the case in North America.​

2nd question

The Taycan can FastDC charge using two voltages 400 Volts & 800 volts - _MOST_ public fast chargers in North America are 400 volt fast DC systems ranging in power from 25 to 150 kW, with the vast bulk of chargers you run into being 400 volt 50 kW chargers - 400 volt chargers that can charge at more than 50 kw are an emerging standard, but still very minority.​
The Taycan can FastDC charge at a maximum rate of 270 kW at properly provisioned chargers that are 800 volt Chargers - Electrify America is a new charging network being built out and they are all 800 volt chargers - maximum charge rates ranging from 100-350 kW chargers - The Taycan will charge at the maximum possible rate at any 800 volt charger and no additional hardware is required.​
400 volt FastDC chargers you are likely to encounter are most likely to be 50 kW - but there is growing number of 400 volt FastDC chargers that can charge at a rate greater than 50 kW. If you do not option this feature and encounter a 400 Volt 150 kW charger - the Taycan's maximum charge rate will be 50 kW - so this option is valuable if you force encountering 400 volt DC chargers that are great than 150 kW.​
this option has _NO_ effect/impact at an 800V FastDC charger.​
now there is no way for any Taycan owner to predict what types of chargers they might encounter in their travels. So if at some point in the future you are road tripping your Taycan and you pull into a 400 volt 150 kW FastDC charger - the question is how frustrated will you be when you spend 3x longer charging the taycan vs. spending less than $1000 on an option you may or may not ever use?​
I you pull in at approximately 10% battery at a FastCharger - and you are limited to 50 kW - charging to 90% will take approximately 80 minutes.​
If you pull in at a 400 Volt 150 kW charger at 10% charging to 90% will take approximately 35 minutes…​
if you don't have the option and you encounter a fast charger that you can't maximize the charge rate - you'll have plenty of time to think about how much money you saved.​
again this option will have _NO_ effect at 800 V chargers - and 800V chargers are the "future"…but there may be pockets of fast chargers than can provide 150 kW charging capacity, but they are 400V and without this option your Taycan will only charge at 50 kW (3 times slower).​
this option can not be added later, and vs. the price of the Taycan it's in my opinion a nice piece of insurance that you'll never spend more time than necessary at any charger you might encounter - you may also own the Taycan for 10 years and never encounter a charger where this option would be necessary. You simply can't know.​

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
your location information says you are in Grandbury Texas - the closest L2 charger to you is at

https://www.plugshare.com/location/65022

Inn on Lake Grandbury - they have two chargers - one Tesla and one standard J-1772.

the standard J-1772 is a 32 amp charger (40 amp circuit breaker).

240 volts * 32 amps = 7.68 kW.

so _IF_ your Taycan has the 19.2 kW charger - and you happen to be charging at the local Inn (don't ask me why you'd do this) the maximum charge rate your Taycan would achieve is 7.68 kW - which is the maximum rate the Inn's EV charger can offer.

Ft. Worth seems close to you and there are a number of J-1772 chargers in Ft. Worth - in a quick random sample of 15 of them - NONE of these chargers are more than 9.6 kW - most are 7 kW or less.

so I you get this option the only place it would be used most likely would be in your home garage _IF_ you install a 100 amp circuit and a 19.2 kW EVSE charger.

Last edited:

OP
OP

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
your location information says you are in Grandbury Texas - the closest L2 charger to you is at

https://www.plugshare.com/location/65022

Inn on Lake Grandbury - they have two chargers - one Tesla and one standard J-1772.

the standard J-1772 is a 32 amp charger (40 amp circuit breaker).

240 volts * 32 amps = 7.68 kW.

so _IF_ your Taycan has the 19.2 kW charger - and you happen to be charging at the local Inn (don't ask me why you'd do this) the maximum charge rate your Taycan would achieve is 7.68 kW - which is the maximum rate the Inn's EV charger can offer.

Ft. Worth seems close to you and there are a number of J-1772 chargers in Ft. Worth - in a quick random sample of 15 of them - NONE of these chargers are more than 9.6 kW - most are 7 kW or less.

so I you get this option the only place it would be used most likely would be in your home garage _IF_ you install a 100 amp circuit and a 19.2 kW EVSE charger.
Thank you David!!! I have decided to add the DC charger and not the AC charger option. Your info was extremely helpful!!!!

Crick

First Name
Crick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volt, 2009 BMW X5D, 2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
there is growing number of 400 volt FastDC chargers that can charge at a rate greater than 50 kW.
@daveo4EV, Do you still feel that "vs. the price of the Taycan it's [150 kW/400V DC Charger is] ...a nice piece of insurance"?

This article, Should Porsche Taycan buyers pay for the 150 kW “DC charger” option?, came out a year before your post. At the time, the author opined,
"That [the 150 kW/400V DC Charger] option isn’t needed because essentially every DC charging station in North America capable of putting out greater than 50 kW is already able to put out power at “800V” so the Taycan’s default 400V 50 kW converter limitation doesn’t apply."
Tom Moloughney in his video How To Charge The Porsche Taycan: Deep Dive states that there are no 400VDC fast chargers in the U.S. that deliver > 50kW. Over 50kW, they are 800VDC.

Have you run across 50kW 400VDC chargers? I tried a few sources like ChargePoint, Electrify America, EvGo, Blink, and Greenlots, but did not find a 400VDC charging stations delivering > 50kW.

I wonder if you opinion has changed since your post.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
still cheap insurance IMHO - but yeah it seems hard to find a >50 kW station that isn't also 800V - but recent testing showed not all stations will correctly negotiate an 800V session

just because the station can do 800V doesn't mean it always will - witness my 2nd testing attempt from last week

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...adventures-continue-data-is-shared-here.3882/

regardless it will be a low utilization item - but for $460 I"m not sure it worth just not throwing it in and have it there should it ever be necessary

Last edited:

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Tesla Model Y, 2020 MB GLE450
Country flag
still cheap insurance IMHO - but yeah it seems hard to find a >50 kW station that isn't also 800V - but recent testing showed not all stations will correctly negotiate an 800V session

just because the station can do 800V doesn't mean it always will - witness my 2nd testing attempt from last week

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...adventures-continue-data-is-shared-here.3882/

regardless it will be a low utilization item - but for $460 I"m not sure it worth just not throwing it in and have it there should it ever be necessary
I have the 150kW/400V DC charger option on my Taycan 4S and for $460, it is a "no brainer" to order it in any Taycan build, frankly I feel Porsche should have just added it to all cars and charged us for it without us even knowing it was there. It is always worth it to save time on any road trip when you have the ability to charge faster, and it only takes one time waiting an extra 30-60 minutes to be glad you paid the additional $460 for this option. Most of us purchasing cars over $100,000 will value the time saved much more than feeling like we wasted $460 even if you only used it once in the life of your car. The 19.2kW upgrade is a different question and daveo4EV makes perfect points (again!) and gives great advice on whether or not to choose this option. It is highly dependent on your home charging setup, and you would incur a lot of cost to speed up mainly home charging by a couple of hours when most times you. charge overnight anyway and to much smaller amounts (40%-80%) non-issue for most of us. It is also a much more expensive option and not as useable on road trips where you will most likely use DC fast chargers at 350kW EA stations and it would have no impact. Thanks to Dave for excellent descriptions, Porsche should be paying you!
Sponsored