DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I'm about to embark on a long trip from Frisco TX to the Bay Area; my midpoint will be in Flagstaff, AZ.

I found that if I attempt to route to Flagstaff (around 1000 miles), the charging planner just can't deal with it...it gives up and says it can't find e-charging stations and asks you to add them manually.

I instead routed to Tumcumcari NM and then it was able to plot a route with the required charge stops.

Note that this is the default planner, not PIRM, though I don't expect that would behave differently.

So...interesting learning, the planner has limits.

When I leave I'll start a thread in the road trips forum and report about my charging experiences, speeds, reliability, etc.
Sponsored

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I always wondered what's the best way to plan long road trips! Surely it can't be having me to sit in the car with play with the PCM navigation ?

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Well I've only done one road trip so far...I pre-planned with ABRP going out, and let PCM handle it coming back. The PCM leg was shorter overall (in miles and time.)

For the long trip I figure I'll give it legs it can handle, so TX->Tucumcari, then Tucumcari->Flagstaff. The PCM seems to do a good job of finding chargers en route, calling an audible if you drive aggressively and need a boost, etc.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I'm about to embark on a long trip from Frisco TX to the Bay Area; my midpoint will be in Flagstaff, AZ.

I found that if I attempt to route to Flagstaff (around 1000 miles), the charging planner just can't deal with it...it gives up and says it can't find e-charging stations and asks you to add them manually.

I instead routed to Tumcumcari NM and then it was able to plot a route with the required charge stops.

Note that this is the default planner, not PIRM, though I don't expect that would behave differently.

So...interesting learning, the planner has limits.

When I leave I'll start a thread in the road trips forum and report about my charging experiences, speeds, reliability, etc.
The limitation will be the Porsche signed up charging partners which in UK are thin on the ground. There may be plenty of chargers out there but they are effectively ignored if no contract in place and so manual stopovers are the only way to integrate for a given journey.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I always wondered what's the best way to plan long road trips! Surely it can't be having me to sit in the car with play with the PCM navigation ?
planning is part of the "fun" when road tripping in an EV.
some good tools, in addition to the porsche tools are
https://abetterrouteplanner.com/
https://www.plugshare.com/

use both to plot routes and alternatives in case your planned charger is not operating or crowded with cars.
another tip is to plan longer charge sessions for meal times and to find hotels with chargers.

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Well I've only done one road trip so far...I pre-planned with ABRP going out, and let PCM handle it coming back. The PCM leg was shorter overall (in miles and time.)

For the long trip I figure I'll give it legs it can handle, so TX->Tucumcari, then Tucumcari->Flagstaff. The PCM seems to do a good job of finding chargers en route, calling an audible if you drive aggressively and need a boost, etc.
I agree that the charging planner does not work for a longer trip final destination. I have done several long road trips and this is what works best for me. I use ABRP to plan my required charging. Then I use My Porsche on my desktop computer to save all of those EA charging stations from ABRP as favorites. Then when in the car, just enter each of the favorite charging stations into the navigation as destinations. This also serves to heat up the battery when arrival at the charging station to make the charging session faster.

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
Curious what charging settings you're using under the navigation preferences. I was able to navigate from south FL to WI without it having issues looking for charging stations. Maybe there are just more charging stations along that route. It did take several minutes to calculate.

Porsche Taycan Charging Planner Has Limits! 1650479359470

Porsche Taycan Charging Planner Has Limits! 1650479449161