Charging Plug Stuck in Port and Won’t Release - Car is Stuck in Garage

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
Just got my 4S two days ago and am now running into a weird issue. I am wondering if anyone else has seen this.

I charged the car once and on the second time I went to charge it, I noticed that it was not charging. I then went to release the plug to try again, but I couldn't release the plug from the charging port. The button that unlocks the plug is not lit and the plug is locked into place. I have tried locking and unlocking the car, powering the car on and off, cycling off the charger and a few other things, but the plug remains stuck in place. I even tried the manual release but that didn't work and I think I now have broken the manual release.

Anyone else dealt with this? I feel like I recall someone mentioning something similar.

The dealer and Porsche customer service are trying to figure out what to do. They wanted me to have the car towed to the dealership, but the problem is that I am not sure I can even get out of the garage. It is a really tight squeeze getting into my garage normally. With the manual charging door open and the plug sticking out, it feels like a recipe for damaging a two-day old car.

Note in the picture how the button is unlit. My understanding is that it should be white or green.

Porsche Taycan Charging Plug Stuck in Port and Won’t Release - Car is Stuck in Garage 2020-06-26 17.00.16
Sponsored

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Tell your dealership to stop being lazy and send a tech out immediately.

With that said, you mention unlocking/locking/on/off etc.. did you try removing it at every stage? Ie.. remove it when the car is locked & off, locked & on, unlocked & off, etc?

This would fix the problem on my iPace.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Just got my 4S two days ago and am now running into a weird issue. I am wondering if anyone else has seen this.
Sorry to hear this. Did you try to switch off the charger, then switch on again? Maybe rebooting the charger that way will help restart a communication with the car.

OP
OP
kmcdonal

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I have tried all of the above as well everything from tugging on the emergency unlock cord more to talking to the car. No joy so far. I think Porsche will have to step in here. I think the car is literally stuck.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
You may have tried this already but you only have 20 seconds to pull the vehicle plug out after pulling emergency release. Page 90 of owner's manual emergency release of charging cable:

Performing an emergency release on the vehicle
plug
1. Open the driver's or passenger's door.
2. Reach into the opening between the driver's or
passenger's door and fender. Pull the button to
the point of resistance.
The vehicle plug is unlocked. If a charging process
was started, it will be stopped.
3. Pull the vehicle plug from the vehicle charge port
within approx. 20 seconds.
4. Close the charge port door. Visit a workshop.

OP
OP
kmcdonal

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
You may have tried this already but you only have 20 seconds to pull the vehicle plug out after pulling emergency release. Page 90 of owner's manual emergency release of charging cable:

Performing an emergency release on the vehicle
plug
1. Open the driver's or passenger's door.
2. Reach into the opening between the driver's or
passenger's door and fender. Pull the button to
the point of resistance.
The vehicle plug is unlocked. If a charging process
was started, it will be stopped.
3. Pull the vehicle plug from the vehicle charge port
within approx. 20 seconds.
4. Close the charge port door. Visit a workshop.
We kept tugging on the plug and it eventually came out. Will visit the dealership in the next few days to see what happened. Seems like the plug release button may have just been sticky, but we will see what the dealership finds.

OP
OP
kmcdonal

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
We kept tugging on the plug and it eventually came out. Will visit the dealership in the next few days to see what happened. Seems like the plug release button may have just been sticky, but we will see what the dealership finds.
I took it to the dealership and they could find nothing in the log. No explanation for why I was getting a red light on the dash or why it got stuck. They are ordering a replacement for the manual release.

Interestingly my electrician came by to tweak my home charging install, and he commented that another Taycan owner a mile away from me had just wrestled with the same issue - red light on the dash and charging plug that wouldn't come out. Sounds like there is something here that Porsche needs to debug.

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
I took it to the dealership and they could find nothing in the log. No explanation for why I was getting a red light on the dash or why it got stuck. They are ordering a replacement for the manual release.

Interestingly my electrician came by to tweak my home charging install, and he commented that another Taycan owner a mile away from me had just wrestled with the same issue - red light on the dash and charging plug that wouldn't come out. Sounds like there is something here that Porsche needs to debug.
This happened to me yesterday at a 150kw public charging station in Spain. Happily, I called their toll-free number and they solved it in 3 minutes by remotely releasing the plug. Apparently all of them activate some sort of mechanical interlock so that no one messes with the cables while charging !

pod1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have had my car for about a month and yesterday after charging overnight in my garage the charger wouldn’t release from the car. After reading the manual I was able to pull on the release that frees up the plug(see photos) I called the dealer to let him know what happened and when I should bring the car in as it was still driveable. He never got back to me and today the car Is inoperable. My guess is the 12v battery drained overnight which as I know now controls the electronics.

Porsche Taycan Charging Plug Stuck in Port and Won’t Release - Car is Stuck in Garage 32091C3C-9036-443D-B899-38AE32800F67

Porsche Taycan Charging Plug Stuck in Port and Won’t Release - Car is Stuck in Garage 0B5538B0-8692-4193-BAFA-F73818CF8CF3

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have had my car for about a month and yesterday after charging overnight in my garage the charger wouldn’t release from the car. After reading the manual I was able to pull on the release that frees up the plug(see photos) I called the dealer to let him know what happened and when I should bring the car in as it was still driveable. He never got back to me and today the car Is inoperable. My guess is the 12v battery drained overnight which as I know now controls the electronics.
So pod1, can you please tell us if you altered the Charge profile the night this happened? That has been the finding by Don @louv is that charging profile changes while car plugged in triggers the issue.

Very sorry you are having the problem.

pod1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So pod1, can you please tell us if you altered the Charge profile the night this happened? That has been the finding by Don @louv is that charging profile changes while car plugged in triggers the issue.

Very sorry you are having the problem.
As with any new toy I may have been fiddling with the profile in the Porsche Connect app on my phone the previous night. But that’s not the first time I’ve done that.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
As with any new toy I may have been fiddling with the profile in the Porsche Connect app on my phone the previous night. But that’s not the first time I’ve done that.
Certainly I understand the temptation of playing. If you can refrain from profile updates you may find the issue does not recure, and just wait till a software update states a correction with charging and 12v battery issues.

KenU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list
Country flag

32091C3C-9036-443D-B899-38AE32800F67.jpeg

0B5538B0-8692-4193-BAFA-F73818CF8CF3.jpeg
Sorry this happened and hope you get it resolved immediately!
Another reason now why I won’t charge the car overnight, in addition to the hot (not warm) 14-50 plug/cable.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sorry this happened and hope you get it resolved immediately!
Another reason now why I won’t charge the car overnight, in addition to the hot (not warm) 14-50 plug/cable.
Ken, of course do what you are comfortable with, but I think that both issues are workable.
  1. To avoid the hot cable you should be able to set the max current on the Porsche Connect Charger to 32 Amps or such.
  2. Unverifiedbut speculated, To avoid the dead 12V battery, avoid altering the charging profile after plugging in your vehicle.

KenU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list
Country flag
Ken, of course do what you are comfortable with, but I think that both issues are workable.
  1. To avoid the hot cable you should be able to set the max current on the Porsche Connect Charger to 32 Amps or such.
  2. Unverifiedbut speculated, To avoid the dead 12V battery, avoid altering the charging profile after plugging in your vehicle.
Thanks, Ron. Yes, it was previously suggested by Porsche to dial it down to the 32A as your suggesting but I feel that’s a compromise and not what I bargained for. Again, appreciate your advice...
Sponsored