ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks, Ron. Yes, it was previously suggested by Porsche to dial it down to the 32A as your suggesting but I feel that’s a compromise and not what I bargained for.
I agree that it is a work around and you should investigate more why 40A is a problem causing a hot cable. I would not suggest that you should be compromised long term.
Sponsored

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just got my 4S two days ago and am now running into a weird issue. I am wondering if anyone else has seen this.

I charged the car once and on the second time I went to charge it, I noticed that it was not charging. I then went to release the plug to try again, but I couldn't release the plug from the charging port. The button that unlocks the plug is not lit and the plug is locked into place. I have tried locking and unlocking the car, powering the car on and off, cycling off the charger and a few other things, but the plug remains stuck in place. I even tried the manual release but that didn't work and I think I now have broken the manual release.

Anyone else dealt with this? I feel like I recall someone mentioning something similar.

The dealer and Porsche customer service are trying to figure out what to do. They wanted me to have the car towed to the dealership, but the problem is that I am not sure I can even get out of the garage. It is a really tight squeeze getting into my garage normally. With the manual charging door open and the plug sticking out, it feels like a recipe for damaging a two-day old car.

Note in the picture how the button is unlit. My understanding is that it should be white or green.

2020-06-26 17.00.16.jpg
The instructions don't say it in every place that plug disconnection is mentioned, but you have to push two different buttons to release the charging plug. The first button is the black symbol with the light ring around it. This is really a "release" button, and you have to push this first, wait for a flashing white light, then push down on the plug release button to disconnect. This first release button signals the computer in the car that you want to stop charging should the car be in an active charging state. You don't want to just randomly withdraw a high voltage connection to protect the electronics in the car.

I'd also read up on how to do a hard release from the inside panel of the door in case you need to have that option.

P.S. Same thing happened to me the first time so don't feel bad

pod1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Ken, of course do what you are comfortable with, but I think that both issues are workable.
  1. To avoid the hot cable you should be able to set the max current on the Porsche Connect Charger to 32 Amps or such.
  2. Unverifiedbut speculated, To avoid the dead 12V battery, avoid altering the charging profile after plugging in your vehicle.
Agree with #2 as it appears after re-reading Don's post on his saga with the battery that it may be a software issue. Hopefully Porsche will be able to solve it.
Sponsored