First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi,

Has anyone experienced issues with the electric charging port doors not opening?

An amber alert is flagged and the message "Left (or right) charging port impaired" is displayed on the main instrument panel

I got this error yesterday evening after disconnecting the charging cable on the driver's side charging port following a red charging light indicating a fault.

The charge port door closed automatically as normal and now it won't open either with the usual swipe or from the central console button (lucky there is a charging port on the passenger side).

I was able to charge via the other port but is this a software glitch or a faulty mechanism?
Sponsored

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was able to charge via the other port but is this a software glitch or a faulty mechanism?
I suspect faulty mechanism. Someone else on this thread reported the same issue and he said the dealer replaced the mechanism with new revised part.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
Sorry to hear of your issue.

I have to say, the more feedback I read on the power charging port covers the happier I am that I saved $640 and went with the standard manual flaps.

OP
OP
W1NGE

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Sorry to hear of your issue.

I have to say, the more feedback I read on the power charging port covers the happier I am that I saved $640 and went with the standard manual flaps.
Yeah I did hesitate but...

That said the manual ones can stick too - there's a tool in the toolkit to prise it open.

You'd think in this day and age that Porsche / VW could design a 100% reliable filler flap. My Pana ST failed twice and did not expect to be here again :headbang:

redrocket

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Panamera 4S, Bimmer X3
Country flag
Can’t beat the cool factor of the electric ones, which I have. Perhaps I have been lucky but I have had zero issues with them. Matter of fact, while the car does need some Tech tweaks, overall I’m pretty happy with the electrics/electronics in the Taycan. ACP is another story, but it’s working pretty well with the aftermarket ACP dongle, which just got a sw update, and so it now works better than ever.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
Can’t beat the cool factor of the electric ones, which I have. Perhaps I have been lucky but I have had zero issues with them. Matter of fact, while the car does need some Tech tweaks, overall I’m pretty happy with the electrics/electronics in the Taycan. ACP is another story, but it’s working pretty well with the aftermarket ACP dongle, which just got a sw update, and so it now works better than ever.
Glad to hear you've had no problems; admittedly, they are cool. The other factor in my decision was the aero vent behind the wheel opening. I would think Porsche put it there for a reason but then designed a power flap assembly which blocked it off. Seems odd. Anyway, my build locked today so no point in second guessing....and apologies to the OP for going OT.

Showders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
My drivers side manual flap is doing the same, booked in to have it looked at! Can’t open it and annoying message on dash at startup

OP
OP
W1NGE

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
That's annoying but according to the Good to Know App / Manual you have a tool for opening the flap from the outside - did you take a look?

Nothing so practical for the electric one (manual suggests otherwise but the picture is wrong and I don't have the tool).

Booked in for Tuesday...here's hoping!

Showders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I did take a little look with the tool but didn’t seem anywhere to release the flap! My left port works so I’m all good until the dealer can look, sadly that’s not until 18th March!!! Is that kind of wait normal?

OP
OP
W1NGE

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yes it looks tricky to use and a fair chance of damaging something perhaps.

When booking a service slot the delays are typically due to availability of loaner cars if that's something you've requested?

I was quoted 8th March for mine as I wanted a loaner however both have been damaged by other customers and they don't have other vehicles. The date then changed to this Tuesday as I could make other transport arrangements.

If not then the dreaded COVID restrictions are playing their part meaning that you can't just rock up and demand someone takes a look.

There should be a facility at your dealership to enable you to sit and wait - worth asking.

The nuclear option is to call Porsche Assistance and let them come to you.

If this is your first Porsche and therefore experience of the dealer network then be prepared for it not to be what you had hoped for or expected (sorry).

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
I had the issue recently.

Both doors locked closed.

Went to PC. They could manually reset, and see that there is a sensor fault. Sensor not available in Germany. They have not disabled my AC charge port door and all working OK. No real issues, either.

OP
OP
W1NGE

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Update from me re failed driver's side charge port and door.

After 3.5 days I now have the car back. Replaced faulty door sensor and AC charge port.

A software update was also applied for battery performance. No detail provided.

Philiprussel

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tayca 4S
Country flag
I get the right charging port impaired frequently it hasn’t stopped me from charging. Not sure what the msg is trying to tell me!

Terry508

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hi,

Has anyone experienced issues with the electric charging port doors not opening?

An amber alert is flagged and the message "Left (or right) charging port impaired" is displayed on the main instrument panel

I got this error yesterday evening after disconnecting the charging cable on the driver's side charging port following a red charging light indicating a fault.

The charge port door closed automatically as normal and now it won't open either with the usual swipe or from the central console button (lucky there is a charging port on the passenger side).

Good afternoon
I have had this issue twice, both time it corrected itself by me turning the car off, locking it and leaving for ten/twenty mins.
A week after this though the onboard charger failed and Porsche had the car for six weeks whilst the made, imported the part from Germany and renewed the part. Just got it back and so far so good.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61